hip problems which type of pedal to choose? spd, look, shimano?

3dbikerITA
3dbikerITA Posts: 13
edited October 2019 in Road beginners
i suffer from hip problems (atrosi) and on bikes I have always used pedals look with red cleats, I tried the shimano pedals with yellow cleats that caused me a lot of problems to the muscles of the buttock by activating many trigger points (middle gluteus, gluteo minima, piriformis). To minimize the problems of the hip and of an unbalanced pelvis, is it advisable to use pedals with large flotation or pedals with little flotation? Maybe speedplay could be for me?

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Well, the float is very adjustable on Speedplays, so there's that. What does your doctor or physio say?
  • Bondurant wrote:
    Well, the float is very adjustable on Speedplays, so there's that. What does your doctor or physio say?
    The doctor says I have a lack of movement in my right hip and I have to live with it
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Probably worth getting a bike fit from someone who knows how to deal with such issues.

Why don't you stick with Look?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Probably worth getting a bike fit from someone who knows how to deal with such issues.

This would be my advice as well.

No point changing the pedals until you are certain your bike is set up correctly. Even a slight position change can make a huge difference.

Might not be cheap but worth getting one done.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    redvision wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:

This would be my advice as well.

No point changing the pedals until you are certain your bike is set up correctly. Even a slight position change can make a huge difference.

Might not be cheap but worth getting one done.

Cheaper than a new hip