Are B&Q sheds rubbish?

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited October 2019 in Road general
Ciao

Perusing for shed - 10x8.

B&Q are selling them at half the price of Edwyn.

Are B&Q sheds rubbish or is Edwyn just massively overpriced?
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes they are rubbish. Try Billy Oh. A minimum of tongue and groove or slip lap. Featheredge board just warps ending up with gaps appearing.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    thank you - just heading there now.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    grazie! binned off that idea.

edwyn has some that I am having a look at or may try local builder for heavy duty job.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    grazie and agree completely - make it look as normal poss from the outside but inside its like an Indiana Jones style cave complete with swinging log and rolling boulders.

or as its christmas, get the kid from Home Alone to set the security up.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    50 cal sniper rifle from a bedroom window should do the job as well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Any wood shed can smashed or sawed into.

I have a cheap B&Q shed that I strengthened with ply lining (insulation as well!) and replaced the door with one I made with decking boards.

Loads of strong bolts holding it altogether.

Strong locks on door, ground anchors and secure floor.

All in cost about £250 for a 6x4.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081

also destroy your shed and anything behind it, as you well know
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • StillGoing
    Build it yourself using good bearers, beams and uprights with tongue and groove. It works out cheaper and you get whatever shape and size you want. Don't buy the timber from B&Q though as it will be sh1te. Use TP or similar.
  • My word. There is a topic that the forum guru doesn't know everything about.
    Don't know what the problem is - the ignore button comes in mighty handy - but the title gives a clear indication.

Made my day.

#Fount of all knowledge or empty cans?
  • Matthewfalle
    Flâneur wrote:

also destroy your shed and anything behind it, as you well know

hmmm - good point well presented.

the buggers trying to break in wouldn't try it again though.......

claymores? both the swords and the mines. that'll stop the fekkers.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    My word. There is a topic that the forum guru doesn't know everything about.
    Don't know what the problem is - the ignore button comes in mighty handy - but the title gives a clear indication.

Made my day.

yes - sheds aren't really my strong point. i'll put my hands up to that.

judging from your post here and everything else you have posted it seems, however, that you have no strong points at all.

quel domage.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    My word. There is a topic that the forum guru doesn't know everything about.

Made my day.

oh - hash tags only work without spaces (its all to do with the internet and stuff) so you seem to have failed on that count as well.

quel surprise

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    Build it yourself using good bearers, beams and uprights with tongue and groove. It works out cheaper and you get whatever shape and size you want. Don't buy the timber from B&Q though as it will be sh1te. Use TP or similar.

good plan but just don't have the time.

need it delivered, assemble, put motorbike in, return to blow 'n' ho detail.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Any wood shed can smashed or sawed into.

I have a cheap B&Q shed that I strengthened with ply lining (insulation as well!) and replaced the door with one I made with decking boards.

Loads of strong bolts holding it altogether.

Strong locks on door, ground anchors and secure floor.

All in cost about £250 for a 6x4.

thank you!

this was the sort of plan I was thinking of tbh but conscious it may fall apart around the extra bits added ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philthy3 wrote:

Agree, this is what I did. I had a manhole in the way so had to work around it so an off the shelf size / shape was no good for me.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

Agree, this is what I did. I had a manhole in the way so had to work around it so an off the shelf size / shape was no good for me.

Exactly. It can be done in a weekend. I built my daughter's play house in a day with 22mm T&G and it's like Fort Knox for a fraction of the cost of cheaper quality bought one. Weighs a hefty lot, so no prising the sides or roof off. Am building a second L shape workshop next year to use available space without encroaching on the garden.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Exactly. It can be done in a weekend. I built my daughter's play house in a day with 22mm T&G and it's like Fort Knox for a fraction of the cost of cheaper quality bought one. Weighs a hefty lot, so no prising the sides or roof off. Am building a second L shape workshop next year to use available space without encroaching on the garden.

hmmmm - this is sounding more promising by the post.

so, build floor then frame, fix roof on and then sides?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Also a good tip in your first post, get a TP trade account, just purchased some kitchen flat pack base units from them for holiday home, a third of the price of B&Q.
  • If DIY is not your thing you should be able to find someone fairly local who will be able to build you a shed to your own specification. We bought our shed from someone like this, in our case just one of his standard sheds but for little more cash than B&Q we got a substantially better shed delivered and erected, and he was able to adjust the positioning of the roof so that it would fit in the gap between a low wall and a brick-built coal bunker which is the bike storage (I hadn't allowed for the overhang of the roof when measuring up).
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Base first. Do your frame, sloping roof is easiest. Board all the sides. Fit roof beams. Board the roof. Apply roofing felt or slates. Fit door.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Colin Furze on YouTube made a smart one!
    I want to build my own next year, but I don't think I'll have the time. Probably going to join two large ones together on a concrete pad.
  • Matthewfalle
    If DIY is not your thing you should be able to find someone fairly local who will be able to build you a shed to your own specification. We bought our shed from someone like this, in our case just one of his standard sheds but for little more cash than B&Q we got a substantially better shed delivered and erected, and he was able to adjust the positioning of the roof so that it would fit in the gap between a low wall and a brick-built coal bunker which is the bike storage (I hadn't allowed for the overhang of the roof when measuring up).

thank you!

building it should be pretty straightforward I think just cumbersome in some parts but would allow double layering of walls, insulation, dungeon, etc......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Base first. Do your frame, sloping roof is easiest. Board all the sides. Fit roof beams. Board the roof. Apply roofing felt or slates. Fit door.

grazie! sounds logical. i'm begining to like the sound of this.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    david7m wrote:
    I want to build my own next year, but I don't think I'll have the time. Probably going to join two large ones together on a concrete pad.

#massiveshed

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    david7m wrote:

#massiveshed

One side for the Guinea pigs, other for mower and gardening bits. Probably not a good idea to join actually, it's a petrol mower :)
  • david7m wrote:

#massiveshed

Mathew, this may be a step too far for you but I butted mine up to to back of the garage, cut a doorway into the garage, strong lintel required, so now can enter the garage via the shed from the rear without having to open the up and over garage door each time I need something.

To use your parlance, job jobbed!