Etape du Tour 2020

Dorset_Boy
Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
The Etape du Tour 2020 will be held on 5th July, following the route of Stage 2 of next year's Tour de France, starting and finishing in Nice, with 3 climbs over 177 kms (3,570m elevation), including the Col de Turini and the Col d'Eze.
https://www.letapedutour.com/en/

who's planning to enter, and what accommodation plans do folks have?

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Interesting. Need to look into that.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Thinking about it, booked a hotel/apartment that I can cancel just in case. A couple of things:

- Accommodation in Nice is always expensive, but even moreso in July.

- The Saturday 4th July is when French summer holidays kick off - and along with it, the 100 km traffic jams. I wouldn't be driving anywhere down that way on the Saturday, could be a nightmare, especially if you're coming from the North.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Same day as the Marmotte then - do they normally clash ? Seems odd that two of the biggest sportives are on the same day. Quite like the look of the Etape
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Same day as the Marmotte then - do they normally clash ? Seems odd that two of the biggest sportives are on the same day. Quite like the look of the Etape

Think they clashed in 2018 too.
  • Bing181 wrote:
    Thinking about it, booked a hotel/apartment that I can cancel just in case. A couple of things:

- The Saturday 4th July is when French summer holidays kick off - and along with it, the 100 km traffic jams. I wouldn't be driving anywhere down that way on the Saturday, could be a nightmare, especially if you're coming from the North.

Good pointer.

It'll be mega expensive and travel will be a nightmare.

Think I'll nick the route and ride out of high season.
  • Same day as the Marmotte then - do they normally clash ? Seems odd that two of the biggest sportives are on the same day. Quite like the look of the Etape

The Maratona is the same day as well. All they need to do is change the date of the Mallorca 312 and they've got a full house.
    Bing181 wrote:
    Thinking about it, booked a hotel/apartment that I can cancel just in case. A couple of things:

I've booked a room on Booking.com, so can cancel nearer the time without any £ at risk.
    In terms of travel, if you got there a couple of days early I reckon it would be fine - say travel down on the Weds / Thurs. Could look at train or plane.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I think I'll drive down for it again, arrive mid-week and leave on the Monday. Should avoid the worst of the traffic.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    im up for it. Not sure whether to stay in Nice and be close to the start finish or try Menton, or smaller town over the back. Ive been out there before with work and there is some nice riding in that area.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not done the etape before - what's the likelihood of getting a place ?
  • sherer
    Fenix wrote:
    Not done the etape before - what's the likelihood of getting a place ?
    it's first come first served. Log onto the website the morning they go live and you will be in.

If you want to reserve place then sports tours international have guaranteed places too
  • fenix
    Excellent - thanks for that !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    lots of companies do guaranteed spots - friends have used Love Velo and said they were brilliant.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I'm riding it for charity - guaranteed place for £75 if you raise £650 for Macmillans. booked accomodation on booking.com that i can cancel at no cost..
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    sherer wrote:
    im up for it. Not sure whether to stay in Nice and be close to the start finish or try Menton, or smaller town over the back. Ive been out there before with work and there is some nice riding in that area.
    Villefranche, lovely town. Simply stay 1/2 mile inland up the hill and avoid a sea view if you want to save money. Down the hill on the left to Villefranche, to the right to Nice. Easy walking distance to both.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Entries open if you are a member of the Etape Strava Club. See you there... ;)
  • Yeay! I'm in after missing out last year.

Looking at the route, seems we are 10km down on the route the pros will use....?
  • sherer
    dish_dash wrote:
    Entries open if you are a member of the Etape Strava Club. See you there... ;)

i've found about 10 clubs with Etape Du Tour, can you put a link to the exact club please :D
  • fenix
    This one ? https://www.strava.com/clubs/145034

Thanks for that - all done. Accomodation booked. Now just flights to do.

Oh anyone know anyone running a bike van transport down there - I've done that in the past for events and it makes travel so much easier.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    Race only entries for the general public went on sale this afternoon at 119€ and are already sold out! I think the French would call the Étape du Tour "une vache à lait" for ASO.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Last year it sold out in about 4 hours.
    This year less than 2....... Quite a few unhappy people as a result, particularly in France where they are complaining about the number of tour operator places.
    I managed to login bang on 3.00 pm and get my spot.
  • If you join the Etape du Tour club/group on Strava you get the chance to buy tickets about a week before, around 15th I think. I got mine no stress no worries second year in a row. Also helps booking hotels etc as you are looking before the mad rush.
  • fenix
    Yep - Dish Dash posted that last week. I got in no bother. Accommodation and flights booked too - they'll only go up nearer the time.
  • Just realised there was a page 1... d'oh!

The TdF is earlier than normal next year due to Tokyo 2020, must have had a knock on effect on the Etape. Also thanks for the heads up on the French holidays / traffic as I was planning on driving.
  • Oh yeah, the pro's will be doing circuits in Nice at the end of the stage, which probably accounts for the 10km difference.
  • js14
    If you join the Etape du Tour club/group on Strava you get the chance to buy tickets about a week before, around 15th I think. I got mine no stress no worries second year in a row. Also helps booking hotels etc as you are looking before the mad rush.
    Thanks will try that next year.
    The French online cycle shop Alltricks emailed me an early registration link on the Saturday afternoon but the offer was limited to 500 or so places. I was out cycling on the club's "Autumn Colours" ride so I didn't see the link until I got back and it was already too late.
  • It sounds great. But I'm injured at the moment and donÄt know when to get to training back..May be in January. But then it is too late.
  • fenix
    I guess it depends how long you've been off ? If you started in February even you'd have a decent 5 months to get fit for it - but then again - it's sold out anyway.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    if you arent bothered about the circus that comes with the Etape you could just ride the route the day before the event or wait 1km from the start and join the throng if you are desperate to be in the mix. Not really on but I'll bet there are people who will.
  • js14
    The French president announced this evening that music festivals and similar public gatherings will be banned in France until at least mid-July. I can't see how the Étape du Tour can go ahead at least not on the date originally planned.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    It's now been postponed. Will see if they try to fit it into the new Tour timing...