Replacing the crankset and BB on a fixie

loz_the_guru
loz_the_guru Posts: 33
edited October 2019 in Workshop
Hi all,

I bought a 10 year old Specialized Langster fixed gear bike as something to nip in and out of town on, as well as the occasional commute. It needed a fair bit of work, most of which I've done but I still have a clicking/creaking from the BB area. I'd like to have a go at replacing this and have already started.

Unfortunately the crank arms were on very tight. I initially couldn't get them off at all, and stripped the thread using my crank puller to do so. After soaking for a week, trying a 3 jaw gear pulley and eventually cycling up a hill without the bolts in I've managed to get them off.

My question is - will I have damaged the crank arms by cycling them without the bolts in place to the point I'd need to replace them? And if so does it need to be a fixie specific crankset, or will a single speed from a road bike or mtb suffice?

Thanks!

Edit: I should also say its a square taper BB, but presumably I could pop something newer in?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cranks should be fine.

any bb, any cranks, ss specific 'ring to match the chain. use the old one.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • That's great, thanks!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    pleasure dude - no problem at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    And if so does it need to be a fixie specific crankset, or will a single speed from a road bike or mtb suffice?

‘Fixie specific’ and ‘single speed’ are effectively the same thing. Not to be confused with a 1x road or mtb chainset, which will likely require an external bb and end up giving you a different chain line.

Talking of chain line, if you are re-using the chainset, you will need a bb with the correct axle length and taper. Assuming the bb was actually the problem in the first place..
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    If it's 10 years old and you are giving it some TLC then a new BB is probably in order.

Square taper cartridge BB are usually bombproof and can outlive external bearings quite happily for years.
    If this is your bike https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/specializ ... ster--2009

Then it's probably a Sealed cartridge, square taper, 68mm x 103mm and you can pick these up for less than £20. Providing you already have the tools to service this then it is a no brainer but you can get the BB tool for around a fiver online.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    I think the sugino thread is slightly smaller than standard, but I dont know where to get a suitable tool from. Ant ideas?