Dave Brailsford prostate cancer

Comments

• D O G wrote:
    Well I've learned a lot, so thanks for all those who have shared their tales & hope that it all works out for everyone.

Amen to that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Mercuryrev wrote:
    I'm off to see the urologist to get a finger up my bum, amongst other things.
    Certainly hope the urologist stops with the finger. :wink::mrgreen:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    Mercuryrev wrote:
    I'm off to see the urologist to get a finger up my bum, amongst other things.
    Certainly hope the urologist stops with the finger. :wink::mrgreen:

With the fashion in big watches lately, I'm worried......
  • m.r.m.
    Richard Mille colorectal escapement... :wink:

Don't be a wuss. If Walken could do it for years, so can you! :mrgreen:
  • Just to keep this thread going, (because it's important that we liberated guys talk about such things) I managed to see a urologist this week and experienced a 'digital rectal examination'. Long story short, I'm sure with softer lighting, a nice bottle of red and a few smoother words, it would've been better, but all in all, not too bad.

You 'av a medium to large prostate, 70 grammes (maybe it was the scales that made me wince?), it's your age, is no problem and I will see you in one year. (I think he needs a better chat up line than that).

The clinic managed to mix me up with someone else and he thought I was just there for a check, when I explained that the chap on his computer wasn't me and that I had pain in my perineum when I sit, he re-examined me, said no problem and sent me off with a bag full of pills (it's the french way). So I am none the wiser what is wrong with me and will be going to see another urologist this Saturday.

Aside from my complaint, please guys it really isn't that bad to have a blood test and then get a finger up yer bum. It's an eye widening sensation and, as someone who has always been very self conscious about such things, a little embarrassing, but very worth it. Perhaps the system isn't fool proof, but it's all we have at the moment and if it saves one person it has to be worth it.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Had my biopsy on Tuesday. It was like a second date with the consultant...we moved on from a finger to an ultrasonic probe! But I survived, and any soreness went after a couple of hours. There are some other 'legacy issues' for a few days after the procedure, but as my wife said, nothing compared to childbirth, so that put it in a bit of perspective.

I now have to wait 14-21 days for the result, and have been given a Prostate Cancer UK booklet on the topic, which seems to suggest that there are hundreds of possible outcomes, and an equal number of possible treatments. So all still to play for.
    Half man, Half bike
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Afternoon club members. GP discussion this morning. PSA test booked for Monday. So no cycling this weekend. She is referring me to Urology for ultrasound scan to assess if flow rate reduction could be due to restriction caused by simply narrowing of the urethra tube rather than prostate enlargement. No doubt will have the digit insertion as well...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    orraloon wrote:
    ...urethra... digit insertion ...
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • ridgerider
    bompington wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    ...urethra... digit insertion ...
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not if you relax and "keep breathing"
    :shock: :o:|:)
    Half man, Half bike
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Ridgerider wrote:

Not if you relax and "keep breathing"
    :shock: :o:|:)

That sounds like a Boris line...
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    Had my biopsy on Tuesday. It was like a second date with the consultant...we moved on from a finger to an ultrasonic probe! But I survived, and any soreness went after a couple of hours. There are some other 'legacy issues' for a few days after the procedure, but as my wife said, nothing compared to childbirth, so that put it in a bit of perspective.

I now have to wait 14-21 days for the result, and have been given a Prostate Cancer UK booklet on the topic, which seems to suggest that there are hundreds of possible outcomes, and an equal number of possible treatments. So all still to play for.
    orraloon wrote:
    Afternoon club members. GP discussion this morning. PSA test booked for Monday. So no cycling this weekend. She is referring me to Urology for ultrasound scan to assess if flow rate reduction could be due to restriction caused by simply narrowing of the urethra tube rather than prostate enlargement. No doubt will have the digit insertion as well...

Good luck to you both
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    You guys aint lived if your doc has never offered to let you watch your colonoscopy live on the video monitor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Live video feed? That's definitely good PR ;-)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Velon for bum holes.
    Actual (more or less) dialogue (as we watch screen with live camera action):
    Me: so, chaps, how far we going up (there were 3 other blokes in the room. I assumed one was the doc)?
    Doc: want to see your breakfast?
    Me: nope.
    [after some rootling]
    Doc: good. As it goes, it appears you’ve got a colon clean as a whistle - could eat your dinner off that.
    Me: wicked! Can we do a fist pump? Right now a hug would feel awkward. Who are these guys? Also, although my legs are shaved, my arse-crack is not: any chance you could untwizzle the camera a tad?

Internet fist-pumps out to you, Ridgerider and orraloon!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    You guys aint lived if your doc has never offered to let you watch your colonoscopy live on the video monitor.
    We have the NHS. The best we'll get is a Go-Pro rammed up our arse.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    Yip. Been there, done that.

Interestingly, well perhaps not, while this scope up the bum was happening my blood pressure was way down. Now what does that say...?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    orraloon wrote:
    Yip. Been there, done that.

Interestingly, well perhaps not, while this scope up the bum was happening my blood pressure was way down. Now what does that say...?

You were destined to be a sniper/sprinter (a la Cav); alternatively, maybe you’re not that bothered about people sticking things up yer bum?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Velon for bum holes.
    Actual (more or less) dialogue (as we watch screen with live camera action):
    Me: so, chaps, how far we going up (there were 3 other blokes in the room. I assumed one was the doc)?
    Doc: want to see your breakfast?
    Me: nope.
    [after some rootling]
    Doc: good. As it goes, it appears you’ve got a colon clean as a whistle - could eat your dinner off that.
    Me: wicked! Can we do a fist pump? Right now a hug would feel awkward. Who are these guys? Also, although my legs are shaved, my arse-crack is not: any chance you could untwizzle the camera a tad?

Internet fist-pumps out to you, Ridgerider and orraloon!

Fist pump? I think I'd have declined that. Though in for a penny, in for a pound I guess.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • orraloon
    Afternoon club members. Good news: PSA result normal @ 1.35. Tick. Off now for an ultrasound on the urinary tract. Hoping that comes out ok as well.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    orraloon wrote:
    Afternoon club members. Good news: PSA result normal @ 1.35. Tick. Off now for an ultrasound on the urinary tract. Hoping that comes out ok as well.

Good luck.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • orraloon wrote:

Good news and good luck.....

I've got the ultrasound and a camera to come....

Had a second opinion last Saturday as I wasn't happy with the first. From everything I described it seems I may well have an enlarged prostate. Doc has started me on some vegetable based pills to get ahead of things....
  • m.r.m.
    Good luck, boys! I'm sure everything will be fine! :)
  • ridgerider
    edited October 2019
    Just a brief update for the benefit of the thread, and rest assured that I do not intend to turn this into a personal blog or running commentary on my situation. I'm very very happy to discuss anything anyone might want to know about what I know via PM, but all I really know so far is what the doctors have told me and what I have read here: https://prostatecanceruk.org/

So I have cancer in my prostate (type/stage T3a). Recommended treatment is not to remove it but to have radiotherapy for 4 weeks in about 4 months time after I have been on a course of hormone injections to halt the production of testosterone in my body, as testosterone is what cancer feeds on (or as I am calling this, the world's worst performance enhancing drug regime). I have been told the side effects of these injections will include hot flushes, man boobs and dramatic mood swings. I have also started listening to Portishead...no one tells you about that.

As an aside, they tell you to eat healthily during all this, and to keep active and fit in order to offset the loss of testosterone and probable weight gain. Cycling is listed as one of the recommended activities.

So taking everything into consideration, I can accept where I am and as advised, all I can do is just keep turning up for appointments. I'm not in pain, I am not debilitated in any way, and when you read about others such as Edo Maas or the little boy thrown out the the Tate Gallery, I have absolutely nothing to moan about!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Good luck RR, keep positive and retain the sense of humour.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Good luck RR, that’s by far the best attitude to have. My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 terminal lung cancer not far off 2 years ago - she has an amazing approach and is still doing great. Nothing has really changed with regards to the tumours.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Chin up RR, sorry to hear that mate.
  • m.r.m.
    Good luck RR. Keep your chin up! With Jumbo getting better and better PTP glory is in your grasp. I will gladly vacate the throne for you for years to come!
  • Best of luck to you ridgerider, especially with the Portishead. No signs of early Genesis though?

I had my ultrasound today and again nothing that caused any great discomfort. Caused a bit of a cold sweat when I saw the rectal probe, but all was good. Nothing found other than an 80g prostate (up on the estimate from the first guy, but probably more reliable). Doc said it's not large, so that'll do me.

Next up is the camera up the JT, something I'm really not looking forward to. Hoping for something better than Super 8.....
  • ridgerider
    Got my TURP on Monday...got to decide if I want to stay awake and watch or to have a little nap. Preference is for the latter, even thought it means I won't have a good story to tell you all.

Sorry
    Half man, Half bike
  • orraloon
    Ah c'mon, we need to know... 😉

Best wishes.