Daft questions about flying with mtb

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited October 2019 in Holidays
Heading to Gran Canaria in Dec and due to lack of use (hip pain and other issues) my road bike isn't coming with me.
I've booked a bike on the flight though, so am thinking about taking my mountain bike.

Are there any issues I should keep in mind regards suspension i.e. seals affected by pressure ? not got a clue.

Full suss with dropper.

Thanks for any insight.
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    TBH I'd hire a bike out there. For 35 Euro a day you can have a full suspension electric MTB.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The aircraft holds are pressurised, along with the rest of the cabin - but probably not heated (much)... although at a slightly lower pressure than surface level.

The only thing we did for our road bikes was to drop the pressure out of the tyres - I'd do the same for your suspension - but wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Even if the bike was exposed to a vacuum, the pressure drop vs sea level would only be 15 psi. Your bike tyres and certainly your suspension can cope with that. However, some airlines have rules about carrying pressurised containers and they may include tyres and suspension in that category. If in doubt let the air out, it doesn't take long to pump back up.
  • Even if the bike was exposed to a vacuum, the pressure drop vs sea level would only be 15 psi. Your bike tyres and certainly your suspension can cope with that. However, some airlines have rules about carrying pressurised containers and they may include tyres and suspension in that category. If in doubt let the air out, it doesn't take long to pump back up.

Stopped in here to say exactly this. With things like tubeless tyres where fully deflating can lead to quite a mess I will just make sure I let out 20-25psi (or until the tyre goes soft but isn't likely to unseat). I always feel like that's enough to be able to confidently tell the airline desk that "I have deflated the tyres."
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • Thanks all

I already have a travel case as I usually take the Domane out with me.

Taking your own bike is no hassle whatsoever and it's 35 euro a day for extra beer.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently