Upgrading forks newbie

cwalsh
cwalsh Posts: 8
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all I have a voodoo minustor with suntour xcm 11/8 - 1.5 .27.5 can I upgrade to fox 36 .if so what do I need to look for . I dont know what the offset is .will all 11/8 -1.5 fit .or is there more to it .thanks

Comments

• Suntour XCM34 HLO, Boost, Tapered 1 1/8" - 1.5" these are my forks I have on thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can upgrade to any 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered fork you want, but the question is ‘why?’.
    What is your current fork not doing?

A Fox 36 fork starts at about £650 new. That’s a lot of money to spend on a bike that didn’t cost much more.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Hi thanks for reply. My forks that I have on now are jerky .it feels like it hesitates to work then does .I like the bike and I'm gone keep it so I wanted to put better suspension on it . Wanted to put a good set on so I were done .no more going back to them later on apart from maintaining them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Something like a Rockshox Reba or Revelation would be more appropriate, a Fox 36 is designed for heavy duty gravity riding, the rest of your bike isn't, it's a mid travel trail bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for reply .il have a look at the rock shocks .I just thought that expensive bikes were just the same as these with better parts .apart from carbon ones .I've just fitted fox float dps to the back.
  • The Rookie
    No, the parts are selected for usage, broadly you can split MTBing into 3 main groups, XC, Trail and gravity (Enduro/DH), of course theer are further sub divisions, but lets use those.

XC tends to use the lightest components, they don't subjected to the same forces as those used for heavier duty work.
    Trail spans a wide range from the tougher end of XC through to overlapping Enduro, the parts are tougher and heavier.
    Enduro and DH are both gravity driven, the difference being that Enduro are designed to be pedalled a lot more, but again the components get tougher and heavier.

So in the Rockshox fork range the XC fork is either the SID or RS-1, light, travel limited to about 100mm, the Trail fork is the PIke and then into the Lyrik or Boxxer. None of those is better than the other, but they are better for what they are designed to be used for.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    A sensible update would be to look at what Voodoo put on the next bike up using the same frame.

The Zobop is the £400 more expensive version of the Minustor, and I think it is the identical frame paired with better components.

They have a Recon fork on there. Recon is a decent air fork, not quite as good as a Reba or Revelation but would probably be a cost effective upgrade and remove the "sticky" XCMs you have.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FORSRECRL ... o-air-fork for £144 with 140mm travel. Though you might need a new front wheel too if you don't have a through axel wheel already.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cwalsh
    Thanks for reply you've bin very helpful in putting more knowledge into my head box . So I need a trail bike fork .fox 36 is a downhill so no good for me .would a fox 34 be ok I'm trying to colour code the bike to with the brass type colour so they mach the back . I think they are through wheel axle 15mm .I'm not sure if they are boost fit .I didn't think they were but when I've measured from fork to fork were axle goes at the bottom it measures 110 mm. Is this rite
  • The Rookie
    A Fox 34 is the trail fork in the range, yes. That said your priorities seem a bit out of whack!

The Minuster isn't Boost front (Halfords spec says 100mm) but it would be silly not to go Boost so I'd suggest a matching front wheel.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -20-frames
  • cwalsh
    Hi haha yea my priorities are always out of whack. But I think halfords dont have the correct specs on the website . This is what it says on my fork .cc180226 sf18 xcm 34ds boost 15ah 110 hlo 27.5 ct 130a . Am I rite that that does mean its boosted .are the fox 34s no good .or is it just the price . I appreciate all the help you are giving me and thanks again.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Spec for fork says "Suntour XCM34 HLO, Boost, Tapered 1 1/8" - 1.5""

Spec for front hub says "Alloy, 100mm, 15mm bolt-through axle"

Mind you, the front page spec says the fork is a "Suntour CXM34 HLO" so typo's galore!

Looks like the hub details are wrong as your fork matches the fork spec above.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    Remove the wheel and measure the axle width, 100mm it's not boost, 110mm it is.
  • cwalsh
    Hi yea there boost it measures 110 .thanks for your help