Diane Abbot

Alejandrosdog
Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
Happy days Diane is standing in for Corbyn tomorrow at PMQ

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49897949 could be like a royal varsity performance

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49897949 could be like a royal varsity performance
    I'll be sure to tune in :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Free on the parliament channel :) iplayer
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    The leading party is as weak as can be and this is the oppositions move?
    Yup. No one really wants to be in charge for the foreseeable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Be sure not to miss it - Eleventy fifteen O'clock.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Be sure not to miss it - Eleventy fifteen O'clock.
    :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • She'll probably not be there as will look at numbers on her watch and get them terribly wrong.
  • She only needs to outperform Dominic Raab, though.
  • Stevo_666
    She only needs to outperform Dominic Raab, though.
    She will need to up her game then.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    still a blood bath of a day

someone get the bell out and bring over Michael Buffer
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925

Variety?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Happy days Diane is standing in for Corbyn tomorrow at PMQ

Variety?
    . yes failing eyesight and tiny screen. Ill be sure to watch the show somewhere better :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Variety?

Royal Varsity performance - isn't that the boat race?

People love to knock Diane Abbott. Maybe because she went to Cambridge, maybe because she was Britain's first ever black woman MP, who knows. I can't think of any other reason...
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

I think she'll be fine asking questions written for her. It's answering them that they both have problems with.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    Imposter wrote:

Variety?

People love to knock Diane Abbott. Maybe because she went to Cambridge, maybe because she was Britain's first ever black woman MP, who knows. I can't think of any other reason...

Weird how she gets so much flack. I think she badly messed up that one time, just before she took a break with exhaustion following a period of intense racial abuse. Unlike, say, Grayling who has messed up finances with 'real' costs repeatedly.

Why the black woman gets more stick than the white man, I really don't know ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I think she badly messed up that one time

One time? She has a bit of a history for it.

She is undoubtedly a bit accident prone politically and an easy target. Having said that, she's hardly alone in that in Westminster!!
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Variety?

Weird how she gets so much flack. I think she badly messed up that one time, just before she took a break with exhaustion following a period of intense racial abuse. Unlike, say, Grayling who has messed up finances with 'real' costs repeatedly.

Why the black woman gets more stick than the white man, I really don't know ...

It is probably more to do with her repeated efforts at misspeak and the suspicion she might have the early onset of dementia that gives her a certain reputation amongst MP's as being a bit of a loose cannon. Not sure that race or sex have anything to do with it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Raaaab didn't even understand the concept of 'Dover'...
  • Being flustered and talking nonsense gets you to the top job these days, so she should be fine.

I admire her tenacity, and her astonishing willingness to take a condescending attitude to everyone, despite her own shortcomings.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Well I'm watching this and in accordance with rules of parliament you can ask 6 questions. Although I think she is ridiculous she won the discussion of her 6 questions!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I can only read her name in the style of R4 Dead Ringers impression of Andrew Neil these days. Makes me smile at least for a moment!
  • She did alright. Was Raab who stood up before she'd finished asking her opening question.
  • Why did she sit down? If she'd remained standing Raab would have been shown up instead. Low confidence? As said Raab stood up too soon but that didn't mean she should relinquish the floor. Lack of understanding of procedure after all her time in the commons? Why?
  • Stevo_666
    Lack of understanding of procedure after all her time in the commons? Why?
    I think a few of us can hazard a guess :)
  • Why did she sit down? If she'd remained standing Raab would have been shown up instead. Low confidence? As said Raab stood up too soon but that didn't mean she should relinquish the floor. Lack of understanding of procedure after all her time in the commons? Why?

He was anyway. And to be fair, he smoothed it over pretty nicely.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,607
    I sense a certain disappointment that it all went more or less to plan.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:

It went so well she wanted a 7th question.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Thank fk that Raab did not win the leadership election!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Lagrange wrote:
    Thank fk that Raab did not win the leadership election!

This is the guy who didn't realise we live on an island..
  • Well many Tories are stuck in the past, he's just stuck in the days if doggerland I guess, a bit further back than anyone else!
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Well done to Diane. She can count to 7 now :)