Lower leg service on Rockshox Recon Silver TK (Coil)

johnp801
johnp801 Posts: 52
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to do a Lower Leg Service on a Recon Silver TK fork, (Coil not Air). I think I am comfortable in being able to get the Lower Leg assembly off by undoing the two bolts at the bottom of the legs and giving them a knock but all the videos and instructions I've seen referred to air forks where the compression was removed by freeing the air. With mine being a spring....will I be able to get the Lower Leg Assembly back on and attached, just by refitting the bottom bolts at the bottom of each leg or will I have to remove the spring somewhere along the procedure? I know about putting a bit of 15w oil in and torque settings etc

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Have a look at the XC30/XC28 service manual which has springs. I doubt it's hugely different.

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sit ... 8_xc30.pdf
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Many thanks, larkim...that's made it all much clearer now. We have 3 sets of Rockshox Recons here, I'll serve them all...just have to get a 24mm socket.
    Would I be right in thinking that a poploc damper can be straight swapped with a non remote damper, (between 32mm 2012....ish Recon Silver TK,s)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need for a 24mm socket for a lower leg service!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I know...but I would need it to service/swap the damper and coil seals. The Recon fork I have with the least wear, (its like new) has a crown adjusted damper, I may swap that with the Poploc controlled damper, (off a Recon with the most wear)...and renew all seals and suspension oils while I'm at it