Trainer tyre - What do I need?

jmods34
jmods34 Posts: 18
So I bought a secondhand kickr snap and I want to keep it in good condition. I also bought a gt grade claris, wife's not happy with all money spent on new hobby!

Do I need a trainer tyre? and if so, do I also need a rim? How much am I looking at and would I need to swap them out everytime I want to go outside?

I currently have bigger tyres on the bike and not completely slick. I don't want to damage my kickr snap. Used it once and it left quite a few black tyre marks on the drum/roller of the kickr. Is this normal??

Please help me!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try the tyre you have and see how it goes.

Turbo tyres often cost more than road tyres. They'll last longer but road tyres can be fine. It depends what tyre and what turbo and how much you uSe it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    dont waste your money on a trainer tyre if you dont have an old spare slick ask another cyclist friend, just keep whatever you use pumped up 110 psi seems to work for me, no slipping or noise.

FWIW I run 90/95 psi out on the road
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    dont waste your money on a trainer tyre if you dont have an old spare slick ask another cyclist friend, just keep whatever you use pumped up 110 psi seems to work for me, no slipping or noise.

Hi, thanks!

My tyre seems to leave loads of rubber on the roller!
    Is that normal??

If so, how do I clean the roller or what does one to make sure it lasts as long as possible, wife is not too impressed with the money spent!

Last question - What tool do I need to adjust the seat height?

Thanks!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    That’s because it’s a road tyre, trainer tyres are made from a different compound so don’t shed, at least mine never has.
    A trainer tyre can be bought for £15 to £25 from many bike shops, Decathlon, Wiggle or even Amazon etc. and it will last for many years. The one I have is from Wiggle and is on at £21.

An allen/hex key is usually what is required to adjust your seat height and a set of them will adjust many other bike related things.
  • jmods34 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Hi, thanks!

My tyre seems to leave loads of rubber on the roller!
    Is that normal??

If so, how do I clean the roller or what does one to make sure it lasts as long as possible, wife is not too impressed with the money spent!

Last question - What tool do I need to adjust the seat height?

Thanks!

if the roller is metal it will last forever

don't worry about the rubber marks. its just rubber

you don't need a turbo tyre - normal tyres are perfect for turbo'ing
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I bought a cheap Continental Ultra Sport (wired bead) for my turbo trainer, its very quiet on the trainer and lasting very nicely and more importantly does not fragment leaving pieces of black rubber on the floor behind the trainer and it only cost a tenner.
  • I've got a trainer tyre on the wheel I use on the turbo. I couldn't be arsed changing the tyre every time, changing the wheel is much quicker.

It's lasted years.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Had a cheapy Vittoria trainer tyre on a cheap wheel for years, never had any problems. Cost me about a tenner in a sale for the tyre.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,741
    You want a wheel to change over. It is much less hassle than changing a tyre. I just use a worn wheel (no braking required) and a cheap tyre. It has lasted around 6 years so far.
    Two options.
    1. Buy new fancy wheel & tyre and relegate current to turbo.
    2. Buy the cheapest wheel & tyre you can get.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • For what it's worth, I get a good discount through work with Halfords so I bought a Halfords own turbo tyre. It works perfectly fine, but it was a bugger to put on a rim, it's the tightest tyre I've every fitted.