'Essentials' case recommendations

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
As I commute by bike and cycle most weekends I use a essentials/phone case as a wallet as well as a waterproof phone case and key store. My recent phone case zipped has broken so looking for a new one, any recommendations? Needs to fit my Samsung phone in and have internet slots for cards/ID and preferably keys too.

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Ikea ziplock plastic bag.
  • Aren't most phones waterproof these days? Anyway, if needs must, I just use a small Ziploc sandwich bag for phone and a card.
  • plastic bag as above and a sock. but not your "special" sock. that would be icky.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • joey54321
    Out of curiosity, do you guys use a wallet instead of a plastic bag to carry your cards and money around?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    joey54321 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, do you guys use a wallet instead of a plastic bag to carry your cards and money around?
    Yes but I don’t take my Coop reward card, library card and British Climbing membership card etc out with me on my bike.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I use a Velopac as my phones not waterproof, holds phone, car/house key, cards an cash along with my skinny multi tool an some lip balm.
  • joey54321
    Step83 wrote:
    I use a Velopac as my phones not waterproof, holds phone, car/house key, cards an cash along with my skinny multi tool an some lip balm.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
  • Webboo wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:
    Yes but I don’t take my Coop reward card, library card and British Climbing membership card etc out with me on my bike.

this.

tele-phone, cashcard and a fiver. its all you need.

house key is in the garage that has a combination lock.

why carry more?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    joey54321 wrote:

On the bike, phone, tenner for some food or water, house key and cash card. Leave all the other cards at home in my wallet.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I didn’t mention when the wife says shall we go to the pub for tea I usually don’t take my wallet if I can get away with it. :D
  • joey54321
    I think many of you have either not read or misunderstood my original post. This case IS my wallet. I dont have another wallet. This is why I dont want to use a plastic bag as my wallet.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Okay I can see that. Unconventional but who cares.

I have a velopac too after years of Ziploc bags. It works really well but you can't get the huge phones in there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Fight against the stream if you wish but there is a reason that the stream exists. You will end up with a plastic cover of some kind sooner or later.
    Wallets are for off the bike use.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    I think many of you have either not read or misunderstood my original post. This case IS my wallet. I dont have another wallet. This is why I dont want to use a plastic bag as my wallet.

When I've ridden to work, a plastic bag is my wallet for the day. It has an ID card for work, one credit card and £30 in it. And my phone when I'm on the bike. I'm all about fashion.

If you want a wallet, then have any wallet you like, then a waterproof cover for it. I recommend this to be made of a plastic bag.
  • With my new phone, fingerprint unlock also works through the plastic bag.
  • A bit pricey but fits the bill (and the phone, cards, keys - ho ho):

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/rainpro ... LEC05XXULT
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Chpt3 do a non essential not technical case.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Why buy such a thing?

I put my phone, cards and notes in a simple polythene bag. Keeps water out and does the job, plus using it recycles the bag.

Keys go in zip pocket on jersey.

Tried a sticky pod a few years ago but was too big and bulky, and have reverted to the above tried and tested (and free) method above ever since.
  • Just got a Velopac last month, perfect ! Takes my phone, cash, card, ID details, folded pockets tissues and chain link. It has survived a few down pours and all was kept dry. Nice graphics and well made.
  • Webboo wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

this.

why carry more?

"a fiver" just about gets you an expresso here... i typically like a bun as well and can ride in 2 countries in most of my weekend rides hence i need 2 currencies, and then a third if i visit the UK, well that's until it takes the Euro :lol:
  • Webboo wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

this.

why carry more?

"a fiver" just about gets you an expresso here... i typically like a bun as well and can ride in 2 countries in most of my weekend rides hence i need 2 currencies, and then a third if i visit the UK, well that's until it takes the Euro :lol:

can't you just put it on the card you are carrying?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Just got a Velopac last month, perfect ! Takes my phone, cash, card, ID details, folded pockets tissues and chain link. It has survived a few down pours and all was kept dry. Nice graphics and well made.

Snap, custom one from the local bike shop, along with its usual contents

48822415142_f995940f7f_b.jpg
  • joey54321
    Thanks for all the helpful answers; have gone with a Velopac!