shimano warranty

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited September 2019 in Road general
Hi, I bought a bike a couple weeks ago with shimano ultegra r8000 groupset on it. The front mech wouldn't trim right so I took it back to shop I bought it a couple times. When it still wasn't right I took it to another shop who have diagnosed a faulty shifter. When I contacted the original shop the owner disputed this and said it was fine and the other place must have damaged it. Where do I stand, could I claim a new shifter under warranty and how would I go about doing that?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The warranty is with the bike itself (you don't say what bike it is) and your route to a warranty claim is through the retailer who sold it to you. Involving a third party might have complicated your rights under the warranty unfortunately...
  • it's an emonda SL6
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Any issues with any products you buy (or a part of a product you buy) should be dealt with by whoever sold you the product.

By going to someone else you have complicated things as now you will have to persuade the retailer of your bike that the other shop didn't damage anything.

Have you tried adjusting the shifter yourself? Download the dealer manual from Shimano, take the cable off the shifter and start from scratch setting it up. Maybe you can get it to work OK by following the instructions?
  • and I suppose I can't prove either way now if was faulty when they got it, or faulty because what they did to it. Pain in the hoop.
  • OK, got bike back, took to original shop and they can tell right away what has happened. The other shop I took the bike too put too much tension in the wire and knackered the mechanism in the Lever. The other shop is denying this saying that was what was causing the problem in first place but it wasn't. The Lever was fine. So both sides denying responsibility and I'm sitting with a 2 week old bike which is now gubbed in gear front as the front Lever isn't working at all now. Could be a trading standards job, but that will take ages and leave me bike less!
  • Was the other shop an authorised Shimano dealer?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/informat ... ranty.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Yes they are
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If I have got this right, You bought a bike from shop No 1 . The bike was not right so you took it back to them, was it twice? You do your cause no favours when you say "A couple of times" is a bit vague but they have had 3 occasions to put the bike in the condition it should have been when you bought it. If they had done what they should have done you would have had no reason to take the bike anywhere else. Even if Shop2 has caused damage, Shop 1 should sort the problem. They have failed 3 times and should take responsibility for failing so far.
    If Shop 1 does not see it as I do you should get onto Trek and see how they rate their dealers performance.
  • Just bite the bullet and buy a new shifter off the internet and fit it yourself - this saga could go on for months.

Then ignore both shops in future and go somewhere decent/learn to do it yourself
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Just bite the bullet and buy a new shifter off the internet and fit it yourself - this saga could go on for months.

Then ignore both shops in future and go somewhere decent/learn to do it yourself
    Yrs bought from shop 1, wasn't quite trimming right so took back twice to him. When he still didn't have it running smooth I took it to a large independent store with fancy looking working areas and full shimano dealership status. they seem to have manage to knacker the Lever now, but said it was causing the problem, but I know for fact that the Lever was fine when I took it to them.

I would bite the bullet and buy a replacement, but feel that I shouldn't have to
  • To be honest if I was in your position I would go and buy a family size bag of M & M's peanut variety, eat the lot and forget about the bike.
  • Its ultegra, you dont repair a tissue whenits been used or ripped, why bother with this tat.

#workinginabikeshopdoesnotmakeyoucompetent

#dontbuyultegra

#suggestyouwalkthedealertothebanktogetthecashforyourrefund
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Take bike back to shop you bought it from initially. Tell them either to replace the shifter or you will return bike to them for a full refund as it is "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act.
    (see: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-reject-a-faulty-product-and-get-your-money-back )

Don't be fobbed off. There was clearly a problem with the bike as you returned it to them twice in an effort to fix it which they couldn't.

Good luck!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Take bike back to shop you bought it from initially. Tell them either to replace the shifter or you will return bike to them for a full refund as it is "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act.
    (see: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-reject-a-faulty-product-and-get-your-money-back )

Don't be fobbed off. There was clearly a problem with the bike as you returned it to them twice in an effort to fix it which they couldn't.

Good luck!

Cheers will do this. Thanks for advice
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    Just bite the bullet and buy a new shifter off the internet and fit it yourself - this saga could go on for months.

Yrs bought from shop 1, wasn't quite trimming right so took back twice to him. When he still didn't have it running smooth I took it to a large independent store with fancy looking working areas and full shimano dealership status. they seem to have manage to knacker the Lever now, but said it was causing the problem, but I know for fact that the Lever was fine when I took it to them.

I would bite the bullet and buy a replacement, but feel that I shouldn't have to

i feel i shouldn't have to put up with a lotof things in life but do because life is too short to have a broken bicycle clogging up my garage.

just buy a new lever

#carpediem

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Its ultegra, you dont repair a tissue whenits been used or ripped, why bother with this tat.

#workinginabikeshopdoesnotmakeyoucompetent

#dontbuyultegra

#suggestyouwalkthedealertothebanktogetthecashforyourrefund

those are bloody fine hashtags by the way

#chapeau

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • or ditch the whole sorry shebang, stick it in the classifieds and buy Force.

#maketheleap

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • both shops sound crap by the way

#notverygood

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Theres nothing wrong with ultegra parts. I'm not a shimano fan but the stuff works fine
    Why people are suggesting its shit is beyond me and that is also flat wrong.

The issue here is shop 1 not sorting it and shop2 not sorting it.
    I think it's quite difficult to damage the shifter by putting too much tension on the cable. Tension after all move the front derailleur cage which is what happen when you push the paddle. So that reason smells fishy to measure tension is applied while the FD is locked somehow. That would be plain stupid though.

The lever may be fine. I really dont know. To check disconnect the cable from the FD. Then hold the cable putting some tension on it while shifting the left paddle. If the cable is pulled smoothly the shifter is fine down shift and if the cable is released the shifter is fine. If this is the case then all it needs is setup.

The op obviously needs help so why not help folks.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks @cycleclinic advice appreciated
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Theres nothing wrong with ultegra parts. I'm not a shimano fan but the stuff works fine
    Why people are suggesting its shoot is beyond me and that is also flat wrong.

Agreed. The SRAM/Campag fanboys are just fishing for for bites.

A "customer" managed to bugger his rear shifter with his duff DIY servicing and brought it to me. On inspection, he'd managed to get the cable unhooked from its position and stuck under the ratchet mechanism. The only way of freeing it, was to cut away some of the ABS and pry it out as the swivel pin was stuck fast by the pressure of the cable nipple against the ratchet. Once out, and a new cable inner in, it all worked fine. With the hood and bar tape in place, you couldn't tell and ABS had been cut away.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Original shop replacing it under warranty
  • final update, shimano warranty came through and had replacement on bike within 5 days,. All working well now
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    final update, shimano warranty came through and had replacement on bike within 5 days,. All working well now

ee794b4eb4f623564d8fce8eb0125afd.jpg