Dynamo light not staying on

sgt.pepper
sgt.pepper Posts: 300
edited October 2019 in The workshop
I'm having some issues with my dynamo/light combo, but I'm absolutely hopeless with electronics.

Dynamo - https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32907761572.html
Light - https://www.bike24.com/p238271.html

The light is housed in an old retro-light - partly to keep the look, and partly to keep it dry as apparently waterproofing was sometimes an issue with the IQ2. The light also has a light sensor, which may be turning it off under streetlights? This would seem like a strange design flaw.

I believe the light has an internal battery, which seems to be charging up somewhat, but not remaining on. How do I go about testing it? Or is my dynamo simply not powerful enough for it?

Comments

• Just found this: is it still a problem?

I'm wondering if by rehousing it inside the retro light, the internals of the retro light are reflecting back to the light sensor and therefore it believes it's daylight.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Just found this: is it still a problem?

I'm wondering if by rehousing it inside the retro light, the internals of the retro light are reflecting back to the light sensor and therefore it believes it's daylight.

Hi, I hadn't connected it up quite properly. All working great now.

I do also think you're right about the light sensor, as it will often flick from high-beam back to regular without me telling it to. However to me that's a price worth paying to keep my retro aesthetic :)
  • Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Just found this: is it still a problem?

I do also think you're right about the light sensor, as it will often flick from high-beam back to regular without me telling it to. However to me that's a price worth paying to keep my retro aesthetic :)

Cool. I'm currently looking at a pair of retro style lights to power from an external battery for my cargo trike, and am considering buying a really cheap pair and sticking solarstorms & Fresnel lens's in , as you originally did..
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Sgt.Pepper wrote:

Cool. I'm currently looking at a pair of retro style lights to power from an external battery for my cargo trike, and am considering buying a really cheap pair and sticking solarstorms & Fresnel lens's in , as you originally did..

If your budget can stretch to it, I would recommend the dynamo set up. One key reason is because this dynamo has a separate on/off switch, which I have on my handlebars. Before, I would have to keep opening and reaching awkwardly into the light to turn it on and off. Dynamos are also just brilliant for not having to worry over charging things - just get on and go.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:

If your budget can stretch to it, I would recommend the dynamo set up. One key reason is because this dynamo has a separate on/off switch, which I have on my handlebars. Before, I would have to keep opening and reaching awkwardly into the light to turn it on and off. Dynamos are also just brilliant for not having to worry over charging things - just get on and go.

Aye, for a normal bike it's definitely worthwhile, but I'm considering converting the cargo trike to a rear wheel motorised e-bike so this is an intermediary step in that direction.

Of course, the right thing to do is to just buy a proper e-bike, and no worrying about the conversion....