Frustrating lack of published info on freehub length

pwarren3030
pwarren3030 Posts: 5
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Forum,
This is my last resort if anyone can find info on freehub length necessary to upgrade from 7 speed to 9 or 10 speed.
My 7 speed Shimano hyperglide is 35mm long but at some point the standard length seems to have been increased to 39-40mm. No suppliers give out this info. Hoping someone has solved this dilemma.

Comments

• So I just answer my own question

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogset
  • Next question then, if I buy a 41.5mm freehub and longer axle, space out the dropouts by 5.5mm. Do I need to adjust the wheel dish to centre the tyre or not worry about 2.25mm of off-centre tyre?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just buy a new rear wheel with free hub. It will be much easier than messing about replacing axles and redishing your existing wheel.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    JBA wrote:
    Just buy a new rear wheel with free hub. It will be much easier than messing about replacing axles and redishing your existing wheel.
    I agree with this. You may not even have to respace your frame if you get a wheel with an appropriate hub, depending on how the frame is spaced now.
  • Thanks for the suggestion.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How sure are you that you can get a 8/9/10 speed freehub to fit your old 7sp hub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.