BMC Teammachine frame size 51cm or 54cm?

joaop
joaop Posts: 38
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I had a 49cm bike in the past and got some muscular issues, after some years I got a new Specialized Allez 52cm and it fitted me well. Now I'm going to buy a new bike and my initial choice is the BMC Teammachine SLR02.

I went to the bike shop, tested the 51cm model, and I felt like riding a kids bike, it was too small, then I tried the 54cm and I felt it was big for me. Maybe replacing the 120mm stem for a 90mm will fit me better, but I don't know if this will be enough (the store doesn't have another BMC stem 90mm to replace it, and I have to try it by myself).

Another concern is about the crank, looks like a 175mm, I prefer the 170mm or 172mm, but again I don't know if this will be enough to make it fit well for me.

My weight is 1.70cm, and 82 inseam, any advice?

Comments

• andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I'm 1cm shorter not sure on my in seam I went with a 52cm frame different brand bike Mason

The advice I got as was in between frame sizes is better going small as easier to make fit then too big and trying to make smaller.
    Are the cranks on the smaller 51cm frame shorter than the 54cm frame for example?
  • joaop wrote:
    Hey guys,

I had a 49cm bike in the past and got some muscular issues, after some years I got a new Specialized Allez 52cm and it fitted me well. Now I'm going to buy a new bike and my initial choice is the BMC Teammachine SLR02.

I went to the bike shop, tested the 51cm model, and I felt like riding a kids bike, it was too small, then I tried the 54cm and I felt it was big for me. Maybe replacing the 120mm stem for a 90mm will fit me better, but I don't know if this will be enough (the store doesn't have another BMC stem 90mm to replace it, and I have to try it by myself).

Another concern is about the crank, looks like a 175mm, I prefer the 170mm or 172mm, but again I don't know if this will be enough to make it fit well for me.

My weight is 1.70cm, and 82 inseam, any advice?

What is your saddle height ?
  • joaop
    joaop Posts: 38
    > Are the cranks on the smaller 51cm frame shorter than the 54cm frame for example?
    yes, but I don't know exactly the size, but anyway, I was surprise with how small and short is the 51cm frame.

> What is your saddle height ?
    I don't know.. when I have a new bike I do little adjustments until I find what fits me better.

I'm feeling like no option to have a BMC bike, I won't be able to ride the 51cm bike, I tested it, it's so short, "I feel big" compared to the bike. And the 54cm is ok, but I'm afraid I'll spend a lot of time and money until I reach a comfortable position for my rides.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have a 54cm Teammachine (medium). For reference, I also rode a 54cm Specialized Allez (medium). Both bikes are/were a good fit but I think the BMC's agressive geometry make it feel bigger than it actually is. The 120mm stem has a lot to do with it. I also considered getting a shorter stem but have persevered and made a few tweaks here and there and it now feels very comfortable. It's a fantastic bike and I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm 178cm (5'10") and inside leg is 79cm (31") for comparison. If you were comfortable on a 52cm Allez then I think you might struggle on the 54cm BMC.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I have had 2 Teammachine SLR01s. It’s a brilliant bike. I’m 176 cm tall - cant remember my inseam but i am a little short in the leg, but both my bikes were size 51. I love that it feels quite small - it seems more responsive and aggressive.

Why not look out for a frameset on eBay. They come up every so often. Then you can kit it out how you want.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    SLR02 51, S=530 R=378, crank=170, stem=100; 54 S=550 R=386, crank=172.5, stem=110, according to BMC website. I don't think a M size (54) raod bike should be equipped with 175 crank anyway.

You can see the reach between 51 and 54 only changes 8mm, and maybe different number of spacers can bring more 5~10mm difference. In principle 54 should not be a problem if you switch to a short stem, as you feel 51 like a kids bike (I suppose the bar is too low?)

IMO you have a long leg and maybe a short torso. The endurance geometry is better to you so I suggest you try RM02 51 size, S=542 R=383
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Crescent wrote:
    I have a 54cm Teammachine (medium). For reference, I also rode a 54cm Specialized Allez (medium). Both bikes are/were a good fit but I think the BMC's agressive geometry make it feel bigger than it actually is. The 120mm stem has a lot to do with it. I also considered getting a shorter stem but have persevered and made a few tweaks here and there and it now feels very comfortable. It's a fantastic bike and I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm 178cm (5'10") and inside leg is 79cm (31") for comparison. If you were comfortable on a 52cm Allez then I think you might struggle on the 54cm BMC.

this is true. I'm 175cm tall, and have a 54 with a 110mm stem at -12 degrees. the top tube is deceptively long. I've a long body and reasonably shortish legs (30.5 inch). I found recently that running 170mm cranks might be more beneficial., but that's just me.

if I were to buy again I'd probably go 51 cm frame and a slightly longer stem.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I was sure my stem was 120mm but apparently it is 110mm after all. I feel more comfortable already :) Either way, it is an amazing bike.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • For reference, I'm 173cm and ride a 51 Teammachine. The 54cm version didn't just feel as good to me.