World Champs build up

Comments

• inseine wrote:
    Looking at the full startlist, seems harsh on GB to just have 6 riders. How do Denmark, for example end up with 8?
    Numbers allocated depended on the nation’s UCI World Ranking as it stood on 11 August 2019.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:
    Looking at the full startlist, seems harsh on GB to just have 6 riders. How do Denmark, for example end up with 8?
    Numbers allocated depended on the nation’s UCI World Ranking as it stood on 11 August 2019.
    So GB are lower ranked than Estonia and the same as Eritrea (I guess there is quite a wide range of rankings to get the same number of riders).
  • inseine
    There must be more to it. GB are currently ranked 11th with 4262 whereas Estonia have 1326 points (weirdly they are one place behind Eritrea).
  • What do you mean? How many riders are starting for Estonia and Eritrea?

As I understand it, it goes like this:

Countries ranked 1–10: can start 8 riders

Countries ranked 11–20: can start 6 riders

Countries ranked 21–30: can start 4 riders

Countries ranked 31–50: can start 1 rider
  • inseine
    GB 6
    Eritrea 7
    Estonia 8
  • inseine
    What do you mean? How many riders are starting for Estonia and Eritrea?

Maybe I'm misreading it be I see countries with 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    edited September 2019
    inseine wrote:
    What do you mean? How many riders are starting for Estonia and Eritrea?

Maybe I'm misreading it be I see countries with 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8
    Not got/can't afford enough riders interested to make their quota?
    inseine wrote:
    GB 6
    Eritrea 7
    Estonia 8
    Long list of riders? Doesn't seem to be within the rules .
    https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... system.pdf
  • Possibly section 7 (Reallocation system) has been used? I’m no expert on the UCI’s obscure, badly written, badly translated rules.

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... system.pdf
  • inseine
    From Pro Cycling Stats.

Pos. Country #Riders
    1 Australia 8
    2 Belgium 8
    3 Denmark 8
    4 France 8
    5 Germany 8
    6 Netherlands 8
    7 Slovenia 8
    8 Spain 8
    9 Colombia 7
    10 Estonia 7
    11 Italy 7
    12 Eritrea 6
    13 Austria 6
    14 Canada 6
    15 Czech Republic 6
    16 Great Britain 6
    17 Ireland 6
    18 Norway 6
    19 Poland 6
    20 Portugal 6
    21 Russia 6
    22 Switzerland 6
    23 Kazakhstan 5
    24 Ecuador 4
    25 Luxembourg 4
    26 New Zealand 4
    27 Slovakia 4
    28 South Africa 4
    29 United States 4
    30 Ethiopia 3
    31 Latvia 3
    32 Lithuania 3
    33 Belarus 2
    34 Argentina 2
    35 Greece 2
    36 Hungary 2
    37 Venezuela 2
    38 Croatia 2
    39 Costa Rica 1
    40 Algeria 1
    41 Taiwan 1
    42 Japan 1
    43 Romania 1
    44 Rwanda 1
    45 Sweden 1
    46 Uzbekistan 1
    47 Ukraine 1
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    inseine wrote:
    There must be more to it. GB are currently ranked 11th with 4262 whereas Estonia have 1326 points (weirdly they are one place behind Eritrea).
    There is more to it.There are also places awarded according to rankings on continental UCI tours. Which is right as the World rankings are very Eurocentric.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    There is more to it.There are also places awarded according to rankings on continental UCI tours. Which is right as the World rankings are very Eurocentric.

European sport innnit.
  • Walking to work this morning I was pondering the chances of Ben Swift in this race and I think he can do well.

He is a regular contender in Milan-San Remo, and this race will be over 300km, including the neutral zone
    He goes well in the Basque Country, and associated weather conditions which will be replicated on Sunday
    He will have an advantage from racing on Yorkshire roads throughout his career and will of course have the home crowd motivation
    He has done well in the World Championships before (he was 5th Bergen and 12th in Ponferrada)

Just a thought that I thought I would share
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Walking to work this morning I was pondering the chances of Ben Swift in this race and I think he can do well.

He is a regular contender in Milan-San Remo, and this race will be over 300km, including the neutral zone
    He goes well in the Basque Country, and associated weather conditions which will be replicated on Sunday
    He will have an advantage from racing on Yorkshire roads throughout his career and will of course have the home crowd motivation
    He has done well in the World Championships before (he was 5th Bergen and 12th in Ponferrada)

He seems one of those riders who is regularly good for a top 10, but rarely battles for the win, which is obviously no mean feat, but you would still be surprised if he won the race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Walking to work this morning I was pondering the chances of Ben Swift in this race and I think he can do well.

From page 1, great minds and all that!
    Pross wrote:
    MvdP is going to take some beating. Trentin is also looking in good form as is Mike Theunissen. Ben Swift wouldn't be a bad outside bet though, proven form over long races and showing in today's ToB that the sort of terrain suits him.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312

He is a good rider, but doesn't really win races. Like Rohan Dennis outside of ITT's. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • The weather forecast for Sunday is absolutely stinking. Rain and 40mph winds. Lump on Tiesj Benoot FTW
  • The weather forecast for Sunday is absolutely stinking. Rain and 40mph winds. Lump on Tiesj Benoot FTW

Pity he wasn’t selected. He’d have loved it.
  • rick_chasey
    Spare a thought for folk who have made the trip just for this (me).
  • If the weather is bad, stick them on the Zwift course. :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Spare a thought for folk who have made the trip just for this (me).

And me. I'm combining the cycling with a trip to Bramall Lane to watch my beloved Blades play (get beat by) the European Champions Liverpool.

I will need copious amounts of beer to see me through
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Spare a thought for folk who have made the trip just for this (me).

And me. I'm combining the cycling with a trip to Bramall Lane to watch my beloved Blades play (get beat by) the European Champions Liverpool.

I will need copious amounts of beer to see me through
    It could be worse. One of my cycling buddies flew back from Thailand specifically to see the World Champs, went for a ride on his first day there and promptly got wiped out by a car driven by an 83 year old. He's in hospital having a hip replacement.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Daft question though it may be, given the forecast for heavy rain all day.wouldn't it make sense for everyone to ride mudguards on Sunday?i get it that in most race situations they are a hindrance,but if they arent going full gas for large parts it would seem a no brainer to me.even if switching bikes as it steps up a gear towards the end
  • Not allowed to. Ass savers are permitted.
  • Not allowed to. Ass savers are permitted.

Ok,thanks. didnt realise they were banned. Not sure how well an ass saver will stand up to 7hours of heavy rain.
    I live just across the lancs border near Bowland.Yorkshire have a deluge heading their way...
  • Happy to be corrected but I understand they are considered dangerous in the event of a crash as sharp edges.
  • rick_chasey
    Few titbits from the Belgian coverage.

Evenepoel admits he doesn’t go well in the rain.

Belgians feel it’s a very technical course “it could break up anywhere”. It’s a route that if you want a selection you’ll have to ride it hard. Conversely if they don’t it won’t be very selective.

Also all expecting a lot of crashes.

Oh and Boonen shat himself in the finale of the ‘07 Paris Roubaix
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    The men's race could be epic with the weather forecast. Hopefully no-one crashes out but looking forward to some attrition.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Belgians feel it’s a very technical course “it could break up anywhere”. It’s a route that if you want a selection you’ll have to ride it hard. Conversely if they don’t it won’t be very selective.

Was that the one where he finished with Hammond? Because I think we all noticed at the time
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Was that the one where he finished with Hammond? Because I think we all noticed at the time

The very same!!!!
  • RichN95 wrote:

It was quite obvious! :lol:

tO77Xf6
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015