The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    The mechanics had a spare BMC TT bike (still branded) with Aus colour go faster stripes at the Aus team bus. Thy hid it behind some wheels after a while. Didn’t notice what was on top of his team car.
    All the other bikes were out for hours but there was no sign of his til the last moment. The guys were definitely trying to hide them.
    Poor Kirienka had an ancient Belarus van at the far end of the car park keeping away from everyone. Got a good reception at the start though.
    Great result for Dowsett and Archibald.
  • Am really not a fan of Dennis.

He’s Australian.

FTFY
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Am really not a fan of Dennis.

He’s Australian.

FTFY

Oi I love McEwen.
  • There's a growing probability that the Harrogate area will get a hell of a soaking on Sunday. When is still not confirmed. A whopping great low pressure zone is going to roll in from the SW, and at the moment it looks like it'll hit the WC course in the early hours then move Eastwards:

https://www.forecast.co.uk/rain/
  • There's a growing probability that the Harrogate area will get a hell of a soaking on Sunday. When is still not confirmed. A whopping great low pressure zone is going to roll in from the SW, and at the moment it looks like it'll hit the WC course in the early hours then move Eastwards:

Heading up to Pateley Bridge tomorrow. Had planned to cycle over to Kidstones Pass to catch the men on Sunday there before riding to the Harrogate circuit but with that forecast it looks like a taxi to Harrogate and a load of fancy craft beer in the many posh bars.

Saturday looks alright though, will ride to Norwood Edge before popping to over to Harrogate.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    There's a growing probability that the Harrogate area will get a hell of a soaking on Sunday. When is still not confirmed. A whopping great low pressure zone is going to roll in from the SW, and at the moment it looks like it'll hit the WC course in the early hours then move Eastwards:

Sunday looks like it should pass before the end of the race? Obviously it might well change a lot by then.
  • Looks interesting at the juniors road race. Going up a hill and riders being shelled. USA comfortable on the front.

The question I ask myself - could I keep up?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Colombian lad punctured and left abandoned at the roadside. No one stopped, no neutral service... started walking with bike in one hand,rear wheel in the other. A sad sight and not a good reflection on the race.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Strange, cos there is definitely a vehicle convoy behind. Utter pricks if they just left him on the road.
  • 3 USA riders putting the hurt on. Finally got sound.

Edit - they are tiring, 1 dropping back.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Strange, cos there is definitely a vehicle convoy behind. Utter pricks if they just left him on the road.

As far as I could see they all drove past... the lad had taken his rear wheelout to save time and by the end he was left crying totally deserted at the roadside with just the cameraman filming him, then he started walking, Very upsetting to see.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • 2 USA, 1 spain, 1 GB and a czech rider making a split on Butterhouse? climb
  • German rider ditches into a verge, clogging the bike up with grass.

53K to go
  • Pretty useless that the main websites can't put a live ticker on. I find the junior racing great to watch as always loads going on.
  • 22s gap for those 5 riders
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    edited September 2019
    Dabber wrote:
    Colombian lad punctured and left abandoned at the roadside. No one stopped, no neutral service... started walking with bike in one hand,rear wheel in the other. A sad sight and not a good reflection on the race.
    This is me at this years RL100 :D
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Simmons has got this. He's done this in a bunch of races already this season.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • He was the hot favourite throughout. Fantastic ride. Wish I could have watched more but was in meetings
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Damn impressive ride that, good team performance too.
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    Just to mention that Mikkel Berg is the real deal. 3rd u23 TT WC in a row, he's 21 so could ride it next year (though he's gone to UAE so will probably ride the elite edition).
    I'm not a fan of that team but they seem to have a really good policy of recruiting talented youngsters. Bjerg, Pogacar, Ardila and Philipsen all have the potential to be top, top riders. Covi and McNulty are both potentially pretty handy too. All of them 21 or younger.
    Oh and 3 Danes in the top ten u23. Told you the vikings were coming.
    Would almost certainly have been four if Price-Pejtersen (who has beaten Bjerg multiple times this year) hadn't crashed in the wet.

Edit: Berg or Bjerg?

It's Bjerg. I've been writing that wrong for ages. :oops:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Damn impressive ride that, good team performance too.

True about the team. USA were awesome - absolutely drilling it at all the right times and places to smoke the opposition.

A great watch if you like watching bike racing, impartial about the result and didn't really know about any of the protagonists (which is likely true given it was a junior race).

Conditions looked gruelling but not horrific
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Attritional course by the looks of it.
  • Dabber wrote:
    Strange, cos there is definitely a vehicle convoy behind. Utter pricks if they just left him on the road.

As far as I could see they all drove past... the lad had taken his rear wheelout to save time and by the end he was left crying totally deserted at the roadside with just the cameraman filming him, then he started walking, Very upsetting to see.

Look at this.

https://twitter.com/spannawalker/status ... 54912?s=20

Jesus christ that is horrendous for the poor guy.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    A proper talent - his ride in the Leadville 100 was pretty impressive; early punctures, and came back through the field to claim 2nd place. Good enough that Trek-Segafredo have signed him as a neo pro for 2 years. Which will sadly mean the end of his mountain biking....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Dabber wrote:

Look at this.

https://twitter.com/spannawalker/status ... 54912?s=20

Jesus christ that is horrendous for the poor guy.

Really feel for the poor lad.
    Can't understand why there wasn't a neutral service or team car available to get him back in the race.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Entertaining race, just watched it on delay in its entirety. Really impressive ride from Simmons and the USA team. Sheffield seems like a young Stannard.

Looks like a great finishing circuit, looking forward to the weekend now.

By the way there was a neutral service for the Colombian, it was just behind the chase group which had been distanced from the peloton. Gutting for him but he did finish the race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I didn’t see the race today, but I did go to Ned Boulting and David Millar’s show - it was basically a chat show. And Chad Haga is genuinely an excellent pianist.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • second crash in the ladies U23 in the 10 minutes I've been watching. Mainly flying into the fairly soft verges.

GB have a favourite.
  • Big move. 4 off the front. no GB represented. NL and IT chasing.

GB riders supporting Ellie Baxted, the fave I noted above now also moving to the front.