The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Gweeds wrote:
    Carlton Kirby calling Bob Jungels 'Mr Bojangles'

EVERY. SODDING. TIME.

Simon Brotherton on BBC actually showing how to commentate for all viewers irrespective of their knowledge.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Dennis vindicated? Favourite for Olympics surely.

Not sure his weight - but does this form put him in GT contender territory?
    He is about 72kg. So 4-6 kg heavier than Froome. He is trying to build into a GC candidate, but so far always gets shelled on the long climbs. Have yet to see him be able to stick the the true GC elite. Judging from today though, he certainly has potential to drop 2-3 kg and then maybe have a shot; but he is already quite lean, so it might just be asking for too much.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    Tashman wrote:
    Roglic with a fairly pointless finish there
    You want your GC captains to have pride and fight even on bad days. Just fight though, not draft. :wink::lol:
  • “I didn’t go without a lot of preparation: a lot of time at home, a lot of work on my head to get myself mentally prepared for today. It’s been a lot tougher than what it looked out there for me. There’s a lot of people to thank, and, look, it’s just good to repay then on a day that really matters.

“I knew what pace I went out with last year, so I just stuck on that and got into my rhythm. I knew I was 20 seconds up at the first check and I knew I had more to give, that I wasn’t going to die on the climbs. I had Brad McGee in my ear and my coach in the passenger seat the whole time talking me through it. It was absolutely perfect today.

“Look. it’s been a tough year. Obviously, there’s been a lot of talk since the Tour de France about what I’m doing. It’s really special to back up this year and come here in the best possible shape to defend this title and show that I haven’t hung up the bike. I’m here to race and I’m here to win. I’ve got more to show in this sport yet. It was good to really get out there today and hit it out and smash it.”
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    You want your GC captains to have pride and fight even on bad days. Just fight though, not draft. :wink::lol:
    I'd have thought that he may have let Dennis have his moment on the line. Pride I get, there was nothing to fight for though
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Tashman wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    I'd have thought that he may have let Dennis have his moment on the line. Pride I get, there was nothing to fight for though

It’s Dennis though.....
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    M.R.M. wrote:

He is about 72kg. So 4-6 kg heavier than Froome. He is trying to build into a GC candidate, but so far always gets shelled on the long climbs. Have yet to see him be able to stick the the true GC elite. Judging from today though, he certainly has potential to drop 2-3 kg and then maybe have a shot; but he is already quite lean, so it might just be asking for too much.
    Given he's still quite a few kg lighter than Indurain I'm shocked that he isn't simply big ringing it on a 26T sprocket through the Alps/Pyrenees as Indurain seemed to manage to do :roll:
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Nice little chat with Keith Lambert the u23s coach who is retiring straight after the champs, interestingly the year he was 46th in the mens WC Mandy Jones was winning the ladies race, which was over a ridiculously short 61km!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Will be interesting to see which bike manufacturer claims their bike 'won' the ITT World Title......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Remember when Dowsett finished ahead of Dennis in the 2014 Commonwealth Games ITT (1st / 2nd)? Or, for that matter, the 2010 equivalent (2nd / 6th; Durbridge 3rd)?

How times have changed.
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    Will be interesting to see which bike manufacturer claims their bike 'won' the ITT World Title......

The mechanics had a spare BMC TT bike (still branded) with Aus colour go faster stripes at the Aus team bus. Thy hid it behind some wheels after a while. Didn’t notice what was on top of his team car.

https://twitter.com/the_rawman/status/1 ... 13505?s=21

Guess he (or cycling Aus) hung on to his BMC bikes when he left for Bahrain, or someone had a word with Cadel Evans who is a brand ambassador for BMC.

Dennis hasn’t raced for Bahrain since the tour - is he leaving or waiting for Ellingworth and McLaren to arrive? Would he have had to forego salary if he’s chosen not to race for the team?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Remember when Dowsett finished ahead of Dennis in the 2014 Commonwealth Games ITT (1st / 2nd)? Or, for that matter, the 2010 equivalent (2nd / 6th; Durbridge 3rd)?

How times have changed.
    In 2010 Michael Hutchinson (4th) beat both Dennis (6th) and Froome (5th)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    AndyRAC wrote:
    I thought it was an open secret that it's a BMC
  • AndyRAC wrote:

The mechanics had a spare BMC TT bike (still branded) with Aus colour go faster stripes at the Aus team bus. Thy hid it behind some wheels after a while. Didn’t notice what was on top of his team car.

https://twitter.com/the_rawman/status/1 ... 13505?s=21

Guess he (or cycling Aus) hung on to his BMC bikes when he left for Bahrain, or someone had a word with Cadel Evans who is a brand ambassador for BMC.

Dennis hasn’t raced for Bahrain since the tour - is he leaving or waiting for Ellingworth and McLaren to arrive? Would he have had to forego salary if he’s chosen not to race for the team?

Saw team car afterwards close up. Clearly branded BMC bike on top. Raised a knowing smile.

Just for anyone going along at the weekend, I couldn't see any screen on the finishing straight other than the one opposite the VIP tent which is impossible to see from virtually anywhere else. Tannoy system was pretty good at relaying the same commentary that was being heard on the screens in the fanzone, as far as I could tell - we certainly knew who was up and who was down, although Lawson Craddock suddenly smashing it was a surprise.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Nobody seems to have much to say about the most dominant WC TT display today since Candelabra in his prime... it was akin to some of the greatest rides of the last 20 years.
    Just listening to the cycling podcast from yesterday - apparently Dygert's time would have got her 12th in the mens U23.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

No.
  • bobmcstuff
    Also some people on social media whingeing about the weather, and how they shouldn't have held it there because rain in september etc etc.

Last year it was in Bergen!! Bergen receives nearly 3x the annual rainfall of Harrogate (2250mm vs 742mm apparently), it's so wet that even other people in Norway refer to Bergensers as having webbed toes. They were just lucky last year/unlucky this year. Daft argument.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Last year it was Innsbruck. Bergen was two years ago.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Also some people on social media whingeing about the weather, and how they shouldn't have held it there because rain in september etc etc.

Last year it was in Bergen!! Bergen receives nearly 3x the annual rainfall of Harrogate (2250mm vs 742mm apparently), it's so wet that even other people in Norway refer to Bergensers as having webbed toes. They were just lucky last year/unlucky this year. Daft argument.
    And come March the same people will be hoping for a deluge before Roubaix
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Gweeds wrote:
    Carlton Kirby calling Bob Jungels 'Mr Bojangles'

EVERY. SODDING. TIME.

Simon Brotherton on BBC actually showing how to commentate for all viewers irrespective of their knowledge.

yeah but I cant cope with Rochelle Gilmour, where every sentence, sometimes every word, ends in an upward inflection :roll:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    andyp wrote:

and it rained didnt it ? at least for one race I thought
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2019
    andyp wrote:
    Sh1t the last 2 years have gone quick!

The Bergen one was more memorable for me, I'm there for work several times a year (there next week actually) so it seems a lot more familiar.

Point still stands.
  • bobmcstuff
    awavey wrote:
    andyp wrote:

and it rained didnt it ? at least for one race I thought
    There's a bit of rain and there's riders going for a swim mid-race rain though isn't there.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It’s not a daft argument.
    Come at it with yer “annual rainfall” figures all you want - but if all that rain happens when yer on yer bike, like it seems to, then what?
    Also, the rain in Harrogate is grittier and more character building than naff Norwegian rain.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    As my grandad said; “I don’t care about statistics - Summers were definitely hotter when I were a lad”.
  • bobmcstuff
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It’s not a daft argument.
    Come at it with yer “annual rainfall” figures all you want - but if all that rain happens when yer on yer bike, like it seems to, then what?
    Also, the rain in Harrogate is grittier and more character building than naff Norwegian rain.
    What's the remedy - hold it in Qatar every year?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Am really not a fan of Dennis.

He’s like those awful guys on the embankment commute (I guess I need to include myself in this, in part anyway).

Kit obsessed, ragey, delusions of winning the Tour
  • What helmet model did Dowsett don in today's race? I remember the GB trackies had them on during Rio 2016.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Decided to go to Northallerton for the start and then headed over to Masham. There was a great atmosphere in Masham - the school kids were being told who the next rider was and chanted their name as they passed by.

48795529407_1024415108_b.jpgJos van Emden by Alan Gibworth, on Flickr

They had a big screen in the square too so a fair number of folk stuck around and watched the rest of the race, although it was clear by that point that Dennis had it in the bag.

Glad it stayed dry today!
  • m.r.m.
    Nice pic!

Dennis has a surprisingly upright position for someone that good at TT's (I'm aware that that is van Emden).