Drivetrain issues

nellie72
nellie72 Posts: 49
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Canyon HT and managed to snap the chain recently. Purchased and fitted a new Deore XT chain however once i'd fitted it, whilst it functioned correctly, whenever I put any increased power through it, the chain appears to slip and a nasty grinding noise occurs. After chatting to someone at work he said i needed to also replace my cassette due to the likely worn teeth. So i purchased and fitted a new cassette hoping that this would be the end of it, however i still have the same symptoms.

Can anyone advise what to try next ??
Canyon Endurace CF SL 9.0 Ultegra di2
Reilly Gradient GRX600
Dawes Super Galaxy

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Shimano chains are directional.
    Have you fitted it the right way round (lettering on the outside)?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Your post implies that it is the cassette that the chain is slipping over, is that true? Let's assume it is.

Is the hub axle properly secured? Whether it is a slide though axle or a QR skewer, it has to be at the appropriate tightness. If too slack, the cassette can wobble.
    Is the mech hanger properly secured to the frame?
    And is the mech properly secured to the mech hanger?
    Looseness in either of those will cause the chain to slip from one ring to the other.
  • JBA wrote:
    Shimano chains are directional.
    Have you fitted it the right way round (lettering on the outside)?

yes chain is fitted correct way
    Reilly Gradient GRX600
    Dawes Super Galaxy
  • Your post implies that it is the cassette that the chain is slipping over, is that true? Let's assume it is.

Is the hub axle properly secured? Whether it is a slide though axle or a QR skewer, it has to be at the appropriate tightness. If too slack, the cassette can wobble.
    Is the mech hanger properly secured to the frame?
    And is the mech properly secured to the mech hanger?
    Looseness in either of those will cause the chain to slip from one ring to the other.

I assumed it was the cassette but now having replaced that i'm thinking it may be the large chain ring. I tried putting power through on the small ring and couldn't re-produce the issue.

I will check the items you suggested though, thanks for the advice.
    Reilly Gradient GRX600
    Dawes Super Galaxy
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Good chance it is the chainring that's worn too.
  • Sounds like your chainring might be worn.

Any pictures you can share of the teeth profile? I reckon yours might be super pointy.

Need to see if I can post a relevant example:

Chainring-New-Old-620x413.jpg
    "Ride, crash, replace"