Small inner tubes with 80mm presta?

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
This will probably sound like a silly question but I’m looking for an inner tube with 80mm presta valves that when rolled up are very small, I’ve noticed that different brands models role up in different sizes.

The reason is I use a small saddle bag and I don’t want a bigger one but am trying to get 2 tubes in there which I know is possible but the tubes have to roll up small.

Thanks.

So far I believe Conti Race 28 light are pretty small, wondering if there is anything smaller.

Comments

• As usual there's a solution available if you're made of money:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/tubolito-c ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • Continental race light 28 - I have them and they are perfect. Weigh around 80g, so inbetween continental supersonic (super lightweight but fragile racer tubes) and a normal conti tube.

Anyway, Evan's do a multibuy deal, 5 for £24 I think? Not cheap cheap but could be worse
  • Specialized turbo, pack really small, great tubes
  • jpower
    The tubo a bit too steep.

Will try one each of the other suggestions. Thanks.
  • jpower
    Before I press order is there anyone by chance that knows which rolls smaller the conti light or spesh turbo
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    conti, definitely rolls a bit smaller. also the conti has a thread in valve and the stem is smooth. the spec turbo is pretalced in a bag. I use/have both.
    Colnago Addict!
  • jpower
    mrdsgs wrote:
    conti, definitely rolls a bit smaller. also the conti has a thread in valve and the stem is smooth. the spec turbo is pretalced in a bag. I use/have both.

Perfect thank you.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,149
    Lifeline lightweight at Wiggle come in a similar weight and size to Continental racelight @ £4 each (less if you have gold/platinum)
  • jpower
    super_davo wrote:
    Lifeline lightweight at Wiggle come in a similar weight and size to Continental racelight @ £4 each (less if you have gold/platinum)

Seems like only 48mm valve so then I have to mess around with extenders, not had much joy with extenders. Prob as I got the wrong ones.
  • The rollupability is compromised by longer valves surely.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Get the correct valve extenders and buy a short valve Conti Race Light 28 tube with a removable core. The shorter the valve the smaller they will pack and then you can just have your extenders held against your rolled up tube using the elastic band they come with. If you also carry the tiny valve core remover tool you are good to go if you need to use the tube/ extender (better still, wrap the extender thread in a bit of plumbers tape).

PP
  • jpower
    Do all valve's come out or do you need specific tubes? As I am not seeing it explicitly mentioned.

Also I was thinking I could make use of my stack of short inner core tubes, but I don't any of them have removal cores either.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you look at a continental tube, the core has a couple of flats on it which you can use a specific plastic tool (or a little spanner or pair of pliers) to undo and remove. Not all tubes have removable cores, no. a top tip is to nip a removable core up tight before using the tube as many people find they can undo and deflate your tube.

If you look at valve extenders, some have a ‘male’ thread on one end to specifically screw into the removable core type tube whereas others have a ‘female’ thread to slip over a none removable core tube and tighten up.

Here you go, a picture with one of the flats highlighted:

96-B10-B43-ECFA-45-C1-9235-B614-CCC1-ABE0.jpg

And here is the tiny tool to remove/ tighten the core (honestly its about 10mm long, this picture is huge!)

6455-D393-1-EDF-4-C66-9-A3-B-22271-ADFDFC9.png

PP
  • jpower
    Thank you for the detailed guide and pics. So in my tube collection I found removable, took the core out and off course the extenders I have already do not fit as the threading is on the wrong part.

So I assume the extender I have is for use with the core in, so I loosen the valve and put the extender on, fits, good start. But when I try to put air in nothing happens.

I was so close to success.
  • jpower
    jpower wrote:
    Thank you for the detailed guide and pics. So in my tube collection I found removable, took the core out and off course the extenders I have already do not fit as the threading is on the wrong part.

So I assume the extender I have is for use with the core in, so I loosen the valve and put the extender on, fits, good start. But when I try to put air in nothing happens.

I was so close to success.

To conclude I was being silly. So after opening the presto valve and putting extender on the air was not going in, and this was because when I was undoing the presto valve it was getting stuck locked out, once I just gave it a push = success the extender worked just fine. Horayyyy I can use all those useless tubes now, bring on the punctures. I will regret saying that.