The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• She's simultaneously the youngest (22 years of age) and most dominant winner (92 seconds ahead of AvdB!) of that event. Positively Dygertesque.

BTW, with the top 10 ranked nations getting a second Olympic ITT place it appears that Juliette Labous (FRA, 15th rider today) pipped Alice Barnes (GBR, 16th rider today) by a solitary hundredth. Cruelly fine margin, that.
  • Just to mention that Mikkel Berg is the real deal. 3rd u23 TT WC in a row, he's 21 so could ride it next year (though he's gone to UAE so will probably ride the elite edition).

Oh and 3 Danes in the top ten u23. Told you the vikings were coming.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Just to mention that Mikkel Berg is the real deal. 3rd u23 TT WC in a row, he's 21 so could ride it next year (though he's gone to UAE so will probably ride the elite edition).

Yeah, well, good day for longboats, wasn't it?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Looked proper grim out there today, I’m glad I chose to go tomorrow instead! Just need to work out where to watch. Anybody know when the start list for the men’s is likely to be released?
  • thegibdog wrote:
    Looked proper grim out there today, I’m glad I chose to go tomorrow instead! Just need to work out where to watch. Anybody know when the start list for the men’s is likely to be released?

This is latest I believe.

If that's broken, it's on the UCI site under Ind. Time Trial.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Nobody seems to have much to say about the most dominant WC TT display today since Candelabra in his prime... it was akin to some of the greatest rides of the last 20 years.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog wrote:
    This is latest I believe.

If that's broken, it's on the UCI site under Ind. Time Trial.
    Cheers, I was expecting to find it on worlds.yorkshire.com!
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Nobody seems to have much to say about the most dominant WC TT display today since Candelabra in his prime... it was akin to some of the greatest rides of the last 20 years.
    Sounds phenomenal, its on my watch list for the morning.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Nobody seems to have much to say about the most dominant WC TT display today since Candelabra in his prime...
    Who? :P

When Dygert Owen caught Brennauer for a minute before the intermediate check it was clear then she was flying or the German was having a bad day. Actually took the BBC commentators a while to realise who was caught at the time!

Says an awful lot that even with 90-second gaps (was that the original plan before the rain relays?), AvdB (yet another ITT silver!) would have been caught in that scenario.
  • thegibdog wrote:

You going to Harrogate or out on the road?

I've managed to move some meetings around and take the afternoon off, so will be getting the train over to Harrogate as early as is decent to do so. Not sure yet where I'll head to - will be interesting to see if the fan area has dried up enough to open back up, but wouldn't watch it there as I'd rather see the riders in the flesh - seems silly to go that far and watch a screen.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Just to mention that Mikkel Berg is the real deal. 3rd u23 TT WC in a row, he's 21 so could ride it next year (though he's gone to UAE so will probably ride the elite edition).
    I'm not a fan of that team but they seem to have a really good policy of recruiting talented youngsters. Bjerg, Pogacar, Ardila and Philipsen all have the potential to be top, top riders. Covi and McNulty are both potentially pretty handy too. All of them 21 or younger.
    Would almost certainly have been four if Price-Pejtersen (who has beaten Bjerg multiple times this year) hadn't crashed in the wet.

Edit: Berg or Bjerg?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog wrote:
    You going to Harrogate or out on the road?

I've managed to move some meetings around and take the afternoon off, so will be getting the train over to Harrogate as early as is decent to do so. Not sure yet where I'll head to - will be interesting to see if the fan area has dried up enough to open back up, but wouldn't watch it there as I'd rather see the riders in the flesh - seems silly to go that far and watch a screen.
    I’m torn at the moment between going out to Northallerton and Masham or heading into Harrogate. I think they’ll have a screen or two viewable from the course in Harrogate, they had at least one on Sunday.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Attritional much. MVDP and Gilbert will be rubbing their hands I'd imagine.
    Unfortunately probably better viewed from the sofa rather than the centre of a p*ss-wet Harrogate where I will probably be.[/quote]

I'm toying with the idea of going up to Harrogate to watch - hadn't planned as I coach a Sunday football team but we don't now have a match and the forecast here is for heavy rain which rather puts me off my usual planB of cycling.

Anyone got any tips on the best places to watch the racing ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Unfortunately probably better viewed from the sofa rather than the centre of a p*ss-wet Harrogate where I will probably be.

I'm toying with the idea of going up to Harrogate to watch - hadn't planned as I coach a Sunday football team but we don't now have a match and the forecast here is for heavy rain which rather puts me off my usual planB of cycling.

Anyone got any tips on the best places to watch the racing ?
    I've no idea really. We were planning to do a ~70km ride in the morning taking in the Lofthouse climb from the womens race and then into Harrogate in pretty good time for the finishing circuits. I assume the fan zone will have multiple screens and that there will probably be a few screens viewable from the circuit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Dennis with the big chat putting himself as favourite for today - on his debadged, non-issue BMC, which he's presumably paid for himself.

Bookies have him more or less neck and neck with Roglic, with Evenepoel not too far off, odds wise.

The odds drop off very quickly after that, with Campenaerts and Asgreen.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Dry out there today. That Swiss kit looking good. 54km - on a tt bike!! Glad it's not me
  • ICE... Israeli Cycling not sure what the E is... oh it’s Iceland

Can that be the best Carlton ever?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Sorry if it's been covered, but why no Thomas? Is he doing the RR?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Dennis with the big chat putting himself as favourite for today

I find myself liking him less and less.

Do your talking on the bike - especially after that bullshit at the TDF.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • inseine wrote:
    Sorry if it's been covered, but why no Thomas? Is he doing the RR?

Says his form isn't good enough
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Gweeds wrote:

Yep, he sounds a right d**k.
  • inseine
    Gweeds wrote:

Rohan Dennis has clocked 18:58 at the first time check, 19 seconds up on Evenepoel and 20 ahead of Victor Campenaerts
    :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Would like to have it said that this is the proper length a TT should be.
  • gweeds
    inseine wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Rohan Dennis has clocked 18:58 at the first time check, 19 seconds up on Evenepoel and 20 ahead of Victor Campenaerts
    :D

:lol:

Rain on the course now
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    Dowsett bangs out a fast one
  • Dowsett's lead didn't last long
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Getting close to the leader averaging more than 30mph! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Did you see Remco pulling his sock up the moment he left the start? No UCI sock-height officials can get a tape measure to him at 110 RPM.

Campenaerts down. And up again but ouch.
  • inseine
    it would be quite fun to follow if the UCI site wasn't so useless
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited September 2019
    My Man Remco is the new Cancellara. There I said it. :P

@inseine, I can link you a stream if you like. pm me. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • inseine wrote:
    it would be quite fun to follow if the UCI site wasn't so useless

Sky Go on the work PC makes it more interesting :D
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.