IT Band Knee Inflammation

nicolasj99
nicolasj99 Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Training, fitness and health
Hi Guys,

I developed IT band syndrome on a long 200 mile bike ride over the course of 2 days. With rest the pain went away in a few weeks but I am left with what appears to be a still inflamed area on the IT band at the knee about 2 months later. The outside of my right knee where the injury occurred is noticeably bigger than the left knee. Does this eventually go away? I want to start training for the next ride but I am afraid I will irritate the injury again and it will set me back. Any insight here would be very helpful.

Comments

• Take it very easy on the bike.

I found that it was a knot in the tendon that ran down my quad so used a foam roller to get rid of it. Given it's been 2 months I'd see a physio as a first port of call.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I had a similar issue a couple of years ago and the only thing that I found sorted it was rest.
    The stretches, foam rolling and massages actually made mine worse, as soon as I stopped doing them I got better.
  • How long did it take for the swelling to disappear? Also, what kind of anti-inflammatory cream would you suggest? I went on a couple fairly short bike rides and did some running as well with no pain. I just noticed how big my knee looked maybe 3 weeks ago and decided I better rest completely. I've been stretching and foam rolling for about a week. Part of me wants to get out there and go for it to see if it hurts.
  • Never ever use a foam roller

Pigeon pose is what you need to do
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Never say never.

Never say never.

Maybe he missed off the fact that you shouldn't foam roll your IT Band. It's a tendon and no amount of foam rolling pressure would relax it. More can be found https://www.runtothefinish.com/stop-foam-rolling-it-band/. You can foam roll the muscles around it to ensure they are loose though.

Long term, stretch and strengthen your gluts. Pigeon pose being a great stretch for this. Resistance Band glut work is great at hitting all those little muscles within the gluts that can "fall asleep" or give up first. Clams, monster walks, kick backs.....lots to google and you will feel them work.