Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I can't see them ever getting these to market, was listening to DC rainmaker and Shane Miller's podcast and they were very sceptical about it all and they have far more experience in this stuff than most
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Just confirmed my address details this morning for shipping.

Don't know when shipping will be, and also no App showing up on Google Play yet to calibrate it.

Will update when it arrives, and how I get on with it \ weight etc etc, and how it compares with my Vector 2 pedals and Neo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Just confirmed my address details this morning for shipping.

Don't know when shipping will be, and also no App showing up on Google Play yet to calibrate it.

Will update when it arrives, and how I get on with it \ weight etc etc, and how it compares with my Vector 2 pedals and Neo.

As a guy on the lookout for a cheapy power meter I'm waiting with baited breath to see how this turns out
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Different price range but SRM have an MTB pedal powermeter coming soon if the IQ2 doesn't work out...
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/srm ... r-srm.html

and it mentions in the post that the shimano mtb SPD standard is out of patent so there should be more power pedals in that standard forthcoming.

Good news for me anyway, being all SPD.
  • daniel_b
    Hi all,

The final product has been successfully assembled. It feels great to finally be able to ride with our power meter and we can't wait to send you yours!

We originally estimated first deliveries in September. We've decided to dedicate an extra month (until the end of October) to finetune all individual components of the final assembly so that we can guarantee the highest possible quality. Here are some indoor pictures of the final product, which are currently undergoing surface finishing with a different texture.

252f31b647bf8c0f8edecc439fc10825_original.jpeg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1568815189&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=c12155becf4ed71fab4f1bc3ac9a66a6
    53fbcbf81851fa634183176caae3d5b3_original.jpeg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1568816139&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=d53fc764bd59d59594366f95b2f3d638
    ffe7f425f6507b4093a71086616b94fc_original.jpeg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1568816097&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=48b81de212bf109b4779abe9bfeee598

By the time I receive mine the bike these are ultimately destined for will be in hibernation for the winter, so not sure if I'll pop them on a winter bike or something.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • chris_bass
    that "extra month" is a bit worrying - if they are confident they are accurate/reliable then why the extra month? if not then if they find a problem i can't see a month being long enough to put it right!

until they hit the market and users have been riding with them and testing them i think i'll remain sceptical
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    that "extra month" is a bit worrying - if they are confident they are accurate/reliable then why the extra month? if not then if they find a problem i can't see a month being long enough to put it right!

until they hit the market and users have been riding with them and testing them i think i'll remain sceptical
    You would think the bank would pull the plug by now.
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

You would think the bank would pull the plug by now.

thats the beauty of crowd funding - playing with other people's money!
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Hi all,

The final product has been successfully assembled. It feels great to finally be able to ride with our power meter and we can't wait to send you yours!

We originally estimated first deliveries in September. We've decided to dedicate an extra month (until the end of October) to finetune all individual components of the final assembly so that we can guarantee the highest possible quality. Here are some indoor pictures of the final product, which are currently undergoing surface finishing with a different texture.

252f31b647bf8c0f8edecc439fc10825_original.jpeg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1568815189&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=c12155becf4ed71fab4f1bc3ac9a66a6
    53fbcbf81851fa634183176caae3d5b3_original.jpeg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1568816139&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=d53fc764bd59d59594366f95b2f3d638
    ffe7f425f6507b4093a71086616b94fc_original.jpeg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1568816097&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=48b81de212bf109b4779abe9bfeee598

By the time I receive mine the bike these are ultimately destined for will be in hibernation for the winter, so not sure if I'll pop them on a winter bike or something.

I really hope they’re putting some kind of metal plate or bits of metal on that pedal body. If that’s just plastic or some kind of composite, it’ll get mashed in no time!
  • daniel_b
    oh yeh, valid point - will let you know what turns up!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Some of their other pics show a metal plate, so I reckon it'll be fine.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Hi all,

I really hope they’re putting some kind of metal plate or bits of metal on that pedal body. If that’s just plastic or some kind of composite, it’ll get mashed in no time!
    That's a sheet load of Q
  • daniel_b
    That's a sheet load of Q

This is what they claimed back in May:
    We have decided upon a Keo-compatible road pedal. An advantage of this is the disappearance of the controversial increased Q factor

I have Look Keos I can compare with upon arrival.

Just scanned back through all the subsequent updates, and there seems to be no mention that this has changed.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Having had a glance at these look's on wiggle:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-classic-3black-38nm/
    That's a sheet load of Q
    That's a sheet load of FUD.
  • daniel_b
    TimothyW wrote:
    Having had a glance at these look's on wiggle:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-classic-3black-38nm/
    That's a sheet load of Q
    That's a sheet load of FUD.

??

300868-01.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Dear all,

As indicated in our last update three weeks ago, we’ve started production. This part of the journey includes tackling the last hiccups to a successful high-quality product. Team members have been flying out to several countries to oversee and finetune all components and assembly lines at our production partners and factories. We apologize for the 3+ week wait. Here’s what we encountered:

#1 Our plastic pedal parts needed a minor adaptation. This means that the plastic injection molds (made of steel) that create these parts need to be modified. We have successfully done so and this adaptation will give us a two-week delay.

#2 The bearings and sealing we used needed some improvement. To this end, we have involved high-quality bearings producer SKF to help us out. They are now supplying us with their bearings and have begun a custom production of rotary seals specifically for the iQsquare pedal power meter. Very grateful to them!
    These seals, specially made for iQsquare, differ 0,05 mm per sample, so we can now look and see which one fills up that miniature interior space to perfection.
    Selecting the best fit.

#3 Remember this picture from the last update indicating we were tuning the antenna? We concluded these tests (see test results below) and adjusted the PCB accordingly.
    Bluetooth and ANT+ antenna measurements after tuning the antenna.

In summary, October 25th is the date our productions partners tell us these parts will arrive. And then when we finally begin assembly, we will still perform a couple of final tests to make sure the end-product functions according to what we envisioned. However, our team and you as backer have come to find out the hard way that it doesn’t always happen so smoothly, so we don’t want to make the mistake of mentioning any final dates right now. One step at a time it seems, but we’re definitely moving.

DC Rainmaker summarized it well when he said: “There’s a long trail of companies that have tried and failed to develop power meters. And many that have succeeded. And every…single…one of them has had delays and complexities along the way (yes, even SRM). No matter the money invested (Garmin), or the time in the industry (PowerTap or Quarq). Making power meters is far more difficult than people realize.”

But luckily he also observed this: “I have zero question in my mind he’ll (Keesjan Klant) be able to pull this off. But, like Elon Musk, I suspect he’s underestimating the difficulties in this product and the timelines involved. He’ll get there, and the product will likely be great in the end. But, it probably just won’t happen when you think it will. On the bright side, a power meter is generally considered easier than re-landing rockets on a floating platform in the ocean.”

We’ll write as soon as there’s more to post!

So end of the year I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Dear all,

As indicated in our last update three weeks ago, we’ve started production. This part of the journey includes tackling the last hiccups to a successful high-quality product. Team members have been flying out to several countries to oversee and finetune all components and assembly lines at our production partners and factories. We apologize for the 3+ week wait. Here’s what we encountered:

#1 Our plastic pedal parts needed a minor adaptation. This means that the plastic injection molds (made of steel) that create these parts need to be modified. We have successfully done so and this adaptation will give us a two-week delay.

#2 The bearings and sealing we used needed some improvement. To this end, we have involved high-quality bearings producer SKF to help us out. They are now supplying us with their bearings and have begun a custom production of rotary seals specifically for the iQsquare pedal power meter. Very grateful to them!
    These seals, specially made for iQsquare, differ 0,05 mm per sample, so we can now look and see which one fills up that miniature interior space to perfection.
    Selecting the best fit.

#3 Remember this picture from the last update indicating we were tuning the antenna? We concluded these tests (see test results below) and adjusted the PCB accordingly.

In summary, October 25th is the date our productions partners tell us these parts will arrive. And then when we finally begin assembly, we will still perform a couple of final tests to make sure the end-product functions according to what we envisioned. However, our team and you as backer have come to find out the hard way that it doesn’t always happen so smoothly, so we don’t want to make the mistake of mentioning any final dates right now. One step at a time it seems, but we’re definitely moving.

DC Rainmaker summarized it well when he said: “There’s a long trail of companies that have tried and failed to develop power meters. And many that have succeeded. And every…single…one of them has had delays and complexities along the way (yes, even SRM). No matter the money invested (Garmin), or the time in the industry (PowerTap or Quarq). Making power meters is far more difficult than people realize.”

But luckily he also observed this: “I have zero question in my mind he’ll (Keesjan Klant) be able to pull this off. But, like Elon Musk, I suspect he’s underestimating the difficulties in this product and the timelines involved. He’ll get there, and the product will likely be great in the end. But, it probably just won’t happen when you think it will. On the bright side, a power meter is generally considered easier than re-landing rockets on a floating platform in the ocean.”

Just in time for brexit import delays...
  • chris_bass
    Daniel B wrote:
    Dear all,

Selecting the best fit.

which year?
  • daniel_b
    haha, well hopefully 2019!

Though I don't need it until March so am in no hurry.
    Let's see how much of that leeway gets eaten up!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2020
    Thought I would update this.

As an interested party I have been keeping an eye on proceedings - DC Rainmaker and Shane Miller have both had test single sided pedals, and the findings are looking very promising.

The only slight downside for me is the fact that they are heavier than the equivalent Garmin Vector 2, and 3 I think, not that I have the latter, and I was half hoping for a marginal weight loss.

I had to change my delivery address, as the office that I specced delivery for has now closed, but that all seemed to go ok.
    No idea when I will atually have the dual sided pair, and can't even remember what I *paid for them now, but hopefully they will arrive before the year is out.
    If the reviews continue to be good, I may well put them on my Foil, at least to test.

The other smallish downside is that I think in Shane Millers review he said it won't suport oval chainrings, and I am just about to put one on my CR1, but then it looks like Vectors are not fully geared up for it either, which is a minor pain.

Just checked back through e-mails and it was 239 Euros, so pretty good if they can deliver a reliable accurate pedal power meter for that - Vectors used to be £1200ish, and P1's similar or £1000?
    I did manage to bag some dual Vector 2's from CRC for either £450 or £405 a couple of years ago which was still rather good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Just had a look on their website and it's saying July 2020. I'm not sure if you'll get yours earlier if you pre ordered?

Also promising is that they have an SPD version coming out in August (apparently), which is interesting because SRM say the X-Power is in production but it doesn't seem to be available.
  • daniel_b

Just had a look on their website and it's saying July 2020. I'm not sure if you'll get yours earlier if you pre ordered?

Also promising is that they have an SPD version coming out in August (apparently), which is interesting because SRM say the X-Power is in production but it doesn't seem to be available.

I find that unlikely, as although I confirmed my changed address a while back, it's all fairly quiet, and I think they were shipping single sided first, and mine is dual sided.

Good to see both the DCR (particuarly) and Shane Miller reviews seemed to be mostly positive.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Awkward position, would either push the pedal outwards and screw the Q factor as well as potentially resulting in pedal failure in the absence of a longer screw, or sit on the pedal collar and therefore be a nuisance hitting the shoe all the time... I wouldn't want it there
    left the forum March 2023
  • thistle_
    daniel_b said:

I find that unlikely, as although I confirmed my changed address a while back, it's all fairly quiet, and I think they were shipping single sided first, and mine is dual sided.

Good to see both the DCR (particuarly) and Shane Miller reviews seemed to be mostly positive.
    Just looked on their website and now it's showing quite a vague Q3 2020 shipping for all models.
    It's a shame because the SPD model would've filled a gap in the market if they'd got it out sooner. I suspect SRM are ramping up production of the XPower and others will join in before the IQ2 become readily available.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Awkward position, would either push the pedal outwards and screw the Q factor as well as potentially resulting in pedal failure in the absence of a longer screw, or sit on the pedal collar and therefore be a nuisance hitting the shoe all the time... I wouldn't want it there

Does anyone notice that the q factor is different when they ride a mountain bike ? I don't think it's as important as you'd think.
  • Anyone got these yet?
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2020

Anyone got these yet?

haha, I was looking for this thread last week to try and post, but due to the new forum could not locate it!

Looking at all of their updates, it would appear they have only shipped single sided so far, found an issue with battery drain which they say was a software issue (now addressed) where it was not putting the pedals in sleep mode, and unsurprisingly draining the battery.

I think the last update said they were about to ramp up production (They had been doing a lot of it manually I think it said) and the double sided (What I have on order) should be starting manufacture and despatching soon, though I suspect they will stick to local deliveries initially so they can resolve any issues quickly, so no idea when I will get mine. Plus of course continues restrictions, then we have extra post at Christmas, and now there will be extra hoops to jump through with the referendum situation - that's a point, I wonder if I will now get hit with a customs charge!

If they arrive by June 2021 that would be nice, springtime would be even better, as then I can put a pair of Vector 2's on my TT bike, and put these on my Foil.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Anyone got these yet?

haha, I was looking for this thread last week to try and post, but due to the new forum could not locate it!

Looking at all of their updates, it would appear they have only shipped single sided so far, found an issue with battery drain which they say was a software issue (now addressed) where it was not putting the pedals in sleep mode, and unsurprisingly draining the battery.

I think the last update said they were about to ramp up production (They had been doing a lot of it manually I think it said) and the double sided (What I have on order) should be starting manufacture and despatching soon, though I suspect they will stick to local deliveries initially so they can resolve any issues quickly, so no idea when I will get mine. Plus of course continues restrictions, then we have extra post at Christmas, and now there will be extra hoops to jump through with the referendum situation - that's a point, I wonder if I will now get hit with a customs charge!

If they arrive by June 2021 that would be nice, springtime would be even better, as then I can put a pair of Vector 2's on my TT bike, and put these on my Foil.
    Best of luck, although you would think if you ordered they way back and were expecting them before the end end of the year then IQ2 should pick up the extra shipping charges.
  • thistle_
    The SRM X Power seems to be having issues too - still says "coming soon" on SRM's website and everywhere seems out of stock:
    Bikefast said:

Not available at the moment due to production bottlenecks and long list of advance orders.