USA
Tonga

Pool D:-
Wales
Australia
Fiji
Georgia
Uruguay

New Zealand are the favourites but all the main teams have had inconsistent form but all the teams are capable of beating each other

I’m pretty sure that all the top seeds should progress with Argentina possibly joint second favourites with France in Pool C and only possibly Japan and Fiji capable of causing an upset and progressing

Comments

• Yep, can't wait. Hoping to find a taverna showing Eng v Tonga here in Greece Sunday morning.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    I’m pretty sure that all the top seeds should progress with Argentina possibly joint second favourites with France in Pool C and only possibly Japan and Fiji capable of causing an upset and progressing

Of the 3 you list I think Japan beating Scotland is the most likely upset (it would also be good to see and great for the world cup). Last game of the group and Japan with home advantage that will be huge for them.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Japan beat Russia 30-10 in the opening game of the tournament

Russia put up a much better performance than expected but it was essentially comfortable for the hosts

However the real meat of the competition begins this weekend with a raft of juicy match ups

France vs Argentina, Australia vs Fiji, England vs Tonga but the real highlights are Ireland vs Scotland and, particularly, New Zealand vs South Africa

My alarm is set for 6.30am and a full weekend of rugby awaits!
  • crispybug2
    Australia 39-21 Fiji

In the end it was fairly comfortable for the Aussies but Fiji showed up well and they certainly have enough about them to suggest that they may worry Wales later in the group stage
  • Do you know what the little rectangular thing is at the top rear of the England rugby shirts is? It looks like the radio used in pro bike races
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,569
    diplodicus wrote:
    Do you know what the little rectangular thing is at the top rear of the England rugby shirts is? It looks like the radio used in pro bike races

I've always assumed they're a GPS/tracker type thing to gather data about how fast and far the players run etc.
  • mrb123
    MrB123 wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    Do you know what the little rectangular thing is at the top rear of the England rugby shirts is? It looks like the radio used in pro bike races

I've always assumed they're a GPS/tracker type thing to gather data about how fast and far the players run etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42. ... 3/%3famp=1
    So they are...
  • Cool, cheers
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    Thought the ref in the England v Tonga match did a great job. It's easy to criticise refereeing but he was clear and the TMO decisions basically backed up his initial calls.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    Australia 39-21 Fiji

In the end it was fairly comfortable for the Aussies but Fiji showed up well and they certainly have enough about them to suggest that they may worry Wales later in the group stage

Now Fiji have been found out I don't see them causing Wales too many problems as long as Wales play a forwards dominated game.

Fiji will be entertaining to watch against the lesser teams in the group
  • Pross
    Decent first half for Wales with the bonus point already notched up but they fell asleep a little bit in the second quarter. Georgia the poorest team I've seen so far by a long way. I really rate Luke Pearce as a referee, I've been following his career since he first officiated at first class level as I watch my club side with his uncle.
  • Pross
    Georgia much better second half but Wales looked far less sharp once they changed scrum half. Two tries apiece second half despite Georgia being down to 14 men for 10 minutes. Wales second choice props are still a concern at the scrums. Will need to improve a lot to top the group.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,362
    Not quite sure what I'd take out of that game if I were Welsh.

Blistering start but 14 all in the second half?? Against Georgia? I would imagine Mr Gatland having some words about that.

England were no more than ok against Tonga . . . I would think they will take more out of their defensive performance in keeping Tonga down to a single penalty goal than they will from their error strewn attack. France and Argentina will be far more potent and able to capitalise on England errors

Scotland were frankly woeful which was a shame because they are way better than that and it's difficult to guage Ireland given the paucity of the opposition but with Jonny S back it will be interesting to see if they can reach their All Black beating best
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    The ref and TMO today seem to be looking at ways to avoid issuing a red card under the high tackle protocol. I can see the benefit of the doubt with Samoa's first yellow today but the second was as clear a case for red as you can see under the protocol especially when you add in the factor that it was minutes after the initial incident.
  • crispybug2
    Massive victory for Uruguay, beating Fiji 30-27.

Biggest shock of the World Cup so far and completely deserved
  • Pross
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Massive victory for Uruguay, beating Fiji 30-27.

Biggest shock of the World Cup so far and completely deserved

Fiji a bit complacent after a decent opening match against the Aussies?

Uruguay used to look like a promising rugby country but never quite pressed on like Argentina did.
  • crispybug2
    Improved performance by England today, beating the USA 45-7, pretty much a second string team and some stand out performances by Lewis Ludlum, who wasn’t even in Northampton’s first team at the start of the season and Jonathan Joseph, the worlds best No. 13 who doesn’t get a starting place
    Early days but progressing nicely
  • If you're at home put the match on.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Crikey, only saw the last ten minutes but not the expected result!
  • mrb123
    Nice of the Irish player to boot it out of play after the gong to seal the win for Japan!
  • Pross
    Great result for the tournament and the expansion of rugby. Japan really are a well organised side. But WTF was the Irish player doing kicking the ball dead on that final play? Were they just grateful to take the losing BP?
  • Fantastic from Japan, thoroughly deserved win. Michael Leitch awesome from bench.

Can only think Carberry booted it out to ensure losing BP.

Looking forward to Aus v Wales tomorrow.
  • crispybug2
    The world would be a better place if everyone played rugby like Japan
  • italy vs japan final.

italy to win 23-17.

you read it here first.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    Fantastic from Japan, thoroughly deserved win. Michael Leitch awesome from bench.

Possible but strange to kick it up to halfway and barely make touch if that was his plan.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Fantastic from Japan, thoroughly deserved win. Michael Leitch awesome from bench.

Possible but strange to kick it up to halfway and barely make touch if that was his plan.

Indeed but that is only possible explanation unless he tried to hoof it downfield and it went out but then Japan would get ball and kick it out anyway. I guess only he knows for sure.
  • Pross
    I think he may have thought he still had the scrum advantage or simply didn't know time was up.
  • Michael Leitch seems a funny name for a Japanese person.
  • and you are trying to say?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Michael Leitch seems a funny name for a Japanese person.

In a bizarre passage of commentary they announced the kiwi was coming on for the injured Tongan.