Wheel bearing reliabity

DavidMc
DavidMc Posts: 2
edited September 2019 in Workshop
I had to replace some Fulcrum 5 DB after a crash in April. Got a good deal on the same wheels. I've done about 3,100 miles in good weather and decent roads since they have been replaced. Low and behold the front wheel bearing went on Sunday and the bike shop tel me its just wear and tear and I was lucky to get that much out of them.
In the last seven years I have only had to replace on wheel bearing on any of my bikes.
I just want to know if anyone thinks that bearing should last more than 6 months?
Many thanks
David

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I had some Felt wheels where the rear hub bearing ate itself in around 8 months of fairly mixed weather riding. It was non serviceable so a new (set) of wheels was bought with sealed cartridge bearings that can be changed.

Are yours not cartridge bearings too? Surely they can be changed for not much moolah?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a pair of Shimano RS10 wheels just over 12 years old. Cup n cone bearings cleaned and repacked with grease annually. New ball bearings fitted once, but TBH there was nothing wrong with the old ones. I suspect the rear wheel is living on borrowed time now though; the D/S cup isn't as shiny as it once was and the grease on that side is always mucky. I could replace the freehub to solve that issue but the rim wear indicators have nearly disappeared too so I think it's toast ...
  • keef66 wrote:
    I have a pair of Shimano RS10 wheels just over 12 years old. Cup n cone bearings cleaned and repacked with grease annually. New ball bearings fitted once, but TBH there was nothing wrong with the old ones. I suspect the rear wheel is living on borrowed time now though; the D/S cup isn't as shiny as it once was and the grease on that side is always mucky. I could replace the freehub to solve that issue but the rim wear indicators have nearly disappeared too so I think it's toast ...

Good mileage! Shimano hubs are great.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Can’t comment on those wheels/ bearings specifically, but you do tend to get what you pay for. I also had a Felt branded rear wheel on a cyclocross bike and the freehub seized (twice on different wheels) in one winter of road riding!

I fitted a Hope hub to the rear wheel which has now been on for 5 winters and is as smooth as silk - both the freehub and the bearings. It comes down to the quality of the bearings and their seals and how you treat/ look after them, such as not jet washing directly at the bearings etc!

PP
  • Fulcrums for some reason that does not age t campagnolo branded wheels have really poor sealing. The cx version are better. It could be just the freehub though. Replace with the campagnolo version fh buu015 for better life.

With the shell bearings replace with skf, ina or ntn for improved life.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Standard sealed bearings do a better job sealing water inside the bearing than keeping it out. As cycle bearings never get hot, water tends to remain inside them -causing rust. The rubber seal (on the bearing) is more for keeping dust/dirt away. The seals/o-rings on the hub itself are more important- keeping water away from the bearing.
    Another overlooked issue is that many bearings are 1/4 filled with standard grease (automotive lithium grease) which is perfect for high speed(1000's RPM) / high temp but not great for cold, wet, slow moving conditions.
    Bearings 100% filled with proper marine quality grease (calcium sulfonate) can resist rust (even in salt water) for a very long time.
    The bearings Fulcrum/Camagnolo use are fine but the grease (a good quality Kluber grease) has terrible rust resistance.