Good Winter Tyre for 2019 ?

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Well after the summer bike getting filthy dirty for the last few weekends I think it's time to get the winter bike ready.

I've got some stonking Marathon Pluses on the bike - they never let me down but they're definitely a lot harder to push than lighter tyres.

I'm on 25mm GP4000s for the summer - I'll be going 28 or 30mm for the winter - but what's out there that isn't too heavy but won't be flatting either.

I'm not doing tubeless - I'm too old to learn new tricks.

Comments

• cougie wrote:
    Well after the summer bike getting filthy dirty for the last few weekends I think it's time to get the winter bike ready.

I've got some stonking Marathon Pluses on the bike - they never let me down but they're definitely a lot harder to push than lighter tyres.

I'm on 25mm GP4000s for the summer - I'll be going 28 or 30mm for the winter - but what's out there that isn't too heavy but won't be flatting either.

I use GP 4 Seasons for the winter months and GP5000s for the summer.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Rolls very well and pretty damn tough, I never got a puncture whilst using them throughout previous winters.
    Decathlon stock them for £25 each so they're not too expensive. Only issue is they size up big so I imagine the 28mm will be like a 30mm.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Conti 4 Seasons or Vittoria Graphenes
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Rolls very well and pretty damn tough, I never got a puncture whilst using them throughout previous winters.
    Decathlon stock them for £25 each so they're not too expensive. Only issue is they size up big so I imagine the 28mm will be like a 30mm.

+1 for these (though I have got the odd puncture). They do indeed come up massive, especially on wide rims of course. I've gone back to 23mm as a result, to avoid a bulb effect.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got fed up with GP4S disintegrating after a couple of winters. Don't get me wrong, I found them great winter tyres in terms of cold / wet grip and puncture protection, but they always seemed to give up the ghost long before I'd worn them out, and great chunks of the tread would start to come away from the carcase. And they are now eye-wateringly expensive.

Switched to the cheaper Michelin Pro4 Endurance and so far, so good. 2 years on and they've squared off a bit but they still look structurally sound. Also dabbling with some Rubino Pro on another bike. Only bought them when somebody spotted them on sale for a tenner a go.
  • Watch the lack of grip on the Rubinos.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Bondurant wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Rolls very well and pretty damn tough, I never got a puncture whilst using them throughout previous winters.

+1 for these (though I have got the odd puncture). They do indeed come up massive, especially on wide rims of course. I've gone back to 23mm as a result, to avoid a bulb effect.

+1 again.
    Great "winter" tyres, they feel superb and I will also agree with the coming up big. I run 25mms and they come up closer to 27/28 on my Kysrium Elites.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Specialized Roubaix Pros in the 30/32 size have been great for me on the winter bike. For a more spendy option maybe look at the Vittoria Corsa Controls.
  • cougie
    Michelins looking good. Takes me back to the days of Michelin HiLites.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    MrB123 wrote:
    Specialized Roubaix Pros in the 30/32 size have been great for me on the winter bike. For a more spendy option maybe look at the Vittoria Corsa Controls.

I'm running Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28 and I've been really impressed.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    keef66 wrote:
    I got fed up with GP4S disintegrating after a couple of winters. Don't get me wrong, I found them great winter tyres in terms of cold / wet grip and puncture protection, but they always seemed to give up the ghost long before I'd worn them out, and great chunks of the tread would start to come away from the carcase. And they are now eye-wateringly expensive.

Seems to be the opposite of my experience with 4 seasons tyres. First pair lasted four winters (I always fit 28mm on my winter bike) and my second lot are coming into their third winter with no discernible damage or degradation. Maybe it depends on the road conditions where you ride them - I’m in Cheshire which is pot hole central, lots of cow muck and plenty of gravel on the narrower country lanes. Thorns from hedge cutting can be an issue, but our roads tend to be fairly free of sharp flints etc.

PP
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Longshot wrote:
    cougie wrote:

I use GP 4 Seasons for the winter months and GP5000s for the summer.

+1
  • Watch the lack of grip on the Rubinos.

2012 wants its post back.
  • I run the Michelin pro 4 service course all year round in all conditions. Never had an issue with excessive wear, punctures or grip.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    its stick with the GP4000s or Michelin pro4 endurance v2 if you're looking for something different. Windshire road are crap all year round, it rains more days than not here so there's always mud, stones and branches to contend with.

I went through a stage of heavy duty "winter" tyres and came to the conclusion that they really didnt offer much more protection for the weight penalty.

Mind you nothing stops black thorns, those things could pierce tank armour
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I have tended to use something with a bit of grip ie X'Plor MSO 32mm tyres, over winter on my commuting bike but this year I will try to continue with the Jack Brown Blue tyres I have been running for a while with no issues - PlanetX has them for £21 each. Come in 33.3mm size so might not fit all bikes though.
  • I'd use the IRC roadlite x guard if i used tubes. Its sister tyre the roadlite tubeless lasts quite well.

Or go with schwalbe duranos. Cheaper than race tyres because there not race tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I've been running 28mm Panaracer Gravel Kings. They don't feel heavy at all, bit more reassuring on lanes with crap all over them and didnt flat once last year.

I'd happily recommend those as another option if you don't want the usual choices.
  • Joe Totale wrote:

Another voter for the Pro4 Endurance from me.

I'd echo what's said above re them coming up LARGE- the 25mm versions came up more like 27/28mm on my rims, so not sure what a 28mm would size up to.

However....the Pro4 Endurance has evolved/ been superseded by the Powe Endurance which I've found with my 25mm versions, come up almost bang-on 25mm.

Got to say though (and it might just be coincidental), that I'm sure the newer versions aren't quite as robust as the older ones. Barely a cut in some of my older P4s after 12months+ of all-year-round riding, but my new Powers have already picked up a few cuts
  • keef66
    I run the Michelin pro 4 service course all year round in all conditions. Never had an issue with excessive wear, punctures or grip.

I switched to the Endurance version after I wrote off two nearly new Pro 4 SC tyres with sidewall cuts in quick succession. Probably just bad luck / random events but it's coloured my perception of the robustness of the SCs.
  • I used GP 4 Season last winter on my old bike and they were very good, only 1 puncture in 1500 miles! I'm considering some Gravel Kings Slicks for this year, anyone feedback on the Gravel Kings?
  • HaDoKen wrote:
    I used GP 4 Season last winter on my old bike and they were very good, only 1 puncture in 1500 miles! I'm considering some Gravel Kings Slicks for this year, anyone feedback on the Gravel Kings?

Craigus89 wrote:
    I've been running 28mm Panaracer Gravel Kings. They don't feel heavy at all, bit more reassuring on lanes with crap all over them and didnt flat once last year.

I'd happily recommend those as another option if you don't want the usual choices.
  • I was always a Rubino Pro Tech fan ..... but I agree grip is not the best. They also tend to cut up. Can't say about the new graphene.

Since then I now ride GP4000 in the summer and winter. Seems fine.
  • cougie
    Got my michelins chaps. Thanks for the advice.
    I see they recommend a pressure higher than I'd use on my Contis.

For 25mm they say 116 psi.
    I'd be down at 80 on my gp4000s.

What pressures are other Michelin users having ?
  • I'd imagine that's a max pressure isn't it?
  • cougie
    It's pressure advice. Doesn't say max.
    A lighter cyclist 50kg is advised to use 87psi.
  • keef66
    cougie wrote:
    Got my michelins chaps. Thanks for the advice.
    I see they recommend a pressure higher than I'd use on my Contis.

For 25mm they say 116 psi.
    I'd be down at 80 on my gp4000s.

What pressures are other Michelin users having ?

I'm 63kg and run 60psi front and 80psi rear

rear is only 80 psi because it's a 23mm
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    GP4S for me. Grip and decent puncture protection.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Bought a pair of 28mm GP 4 Seasons for the Canadian shoulder season. :D

Unfortunately the tire rubs the underside of back brake caliper. :(

Will continue using the 25mm 4000S IIs until there’s too much ice/gravel on the roads then it’ll be Zwifting on the rollers until May.