Banned from Strava for Doping

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,036
edited October 2019 in Road general
Mikael Gallego was a star of the Grenoble cycling scene, he held 367 KOMs including some prestigious climbs. His time for the uber steep Bastille above Grenoble was 7'34", ahead of a number of pros, a number of pros who have since been banned for doping. If you've ridden the Marmotte or other cyclosportifs he's probably ridden past you like you were standing still.

Last year a routine control by the French Anti Doping agency revealed a cocktail of drugs in the urine of the cyclist including corticoïdes, morphine and testosterone. Since then Gallego's performances have been a shadow of what they once were, on cycling forums he said he'd "lost 30 watts" due to "training issues" but other riders hinted at darker issues.

Now Gallego has been banned for 4 years - 2 more than is usual for a first offense due to a refusal to admit the offense. Contacted by the press he said they were side effects of products taken for a bad shoulder and he had all the prescriptions but had not had the time to send them to the anti doping agency.

Gallego has now been removed from Strava and 367 emails sent to the happy new recipients of KOMs. However rumours are that he is not the only local cyclist controlled positive this year. All that for some fish and chippers and a bit of Strava glory. It was also his performances on Strava that first raised suspicions, a kind of performance passport for amateurs. One rider wrote: "I'm the same weight as Micka and yet he's just put 2'15" into me on the Montaud hill climb, that's normal, Strava shows he's putting out 45 watts more than me but I'd really like to know what his training is because our CP20 on the Col de Porte in mid May was the same as mine and I've only managed to scrape an extra 5 watts over the summer".

https://www.ledauphine.com/sport/2019/0 ... our-dopage
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That explains why I don't have any KOMs
  • What authority do french ADAs have to take samples from members of the public?

Not that I'm condoning his actions but it just seems odd that they would do something like this - Unless he was competing of course.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Sounds like he was racing as well otherwise what could he have been banned from?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    What authority do french ADAs have to take samples from members of the public?

Not that I'm condoning his actions but it just seems odd that they would do something like this - Unless he was competing of course.

there were rumours apparently so he was controlled when he did a competition, Strava were made aware and presumably kicked him off the platform. He was one of the top KOMers worldwide. I think Emma Pooley is #1 though, so just having a lot of KoMs doesn't mean you are a doper.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Never be surprised by what people say or do.

Wise words as the capacity for stupidity in humans is infinite
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Surely it is easier to just pretend you are a woman if you want to win things rather than messing about with drugs. Especially as Strava are happily promoting McKinnon and her 'lady penis' competing...https://www.strava.com/clubs/231407/posts/6394329
  • cld531c wrote:
    Surely it is easier to just pretend you are a woman if you want to win things rather than messing about with drugs. Especially as Strava are happily promoting McKinnon and her 'lady penis' competing...https://www.strava.com/clubs/231407/posts/6394329

does she still have one? incase she wants to change again when the racing is over?
  • cld531c
    Yep - shes quite proud of it on Twitter!
    And you know a true lady can never make up her mind so better to be safe than sorry :-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    cld531c wrote:
    Yep - shes quite proud of it on Twitter!
    And you know a true lady can never make up her mind so better to be safe than sorry :-)

Hmm - that's one angry Twitter feed ...
  • cld531c
    Indeed!
  • I'm 53. Everyone below 50 is age doping and stealing my top 100 place in the KOM's. Ban the lot of you I say.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What about e bikes. An older lady flew past me on a hill yesterday.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    What about e bikes. An older lady flew past me on a hill yesterday.

a loud "Oi" and waving fist should be employed followed by a sternly worded letter to your MP.

Ebikes are a bit of a pain, the road I live on is a steep hill and all the KOM's for it are now E mountain bikes, you see them whizzing up the hill while the purely mechanical riders are wheezing up behind them. Not much we can do, you can report it on Strava but then the next twenty fastest people up it are all on the same.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Strava have a separate ebike category don't they? Report the lot of 'em if they can't be honest about the type of bike they're riding!
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    Strava have a separate ebike category don't they? Report the lot of 'em if they can't be honest about the type of bike they're riding!

Yes, they do. But some folks want the KOM Kudos even if they didn't earn them. I think they want to impress non-cyclists they know, because any cyclists they do know would see the lie.

I'm fairly fortunate in that most segments seem ok where I live but there are some obvious cheats too. I reported one needy person who came here for a holiday and left with 3 KOM's, all on 6-10% gradients, approx. 1km long and at average speeds above 60km/h and top speeds of nearly 90km/h!

He is quite active on Strava too, looking at his profile. Very unimpressive average speeds. All his KOM's are from his holiday's abroad though... :roll:

Strava removed him from those I reported. Hopefully they banned him too.

Most of my KOM's are from shortish hills and sprints, well above the e-bike assist level so unless a chipped e-bike or one that requires a license is around, they won't be competing for them.
  • I'm 53. Everyone below 50 is age doping and stealing my top 100 place in the KOM's. Ban the lot of you I say.

:D

I wish we had Strava back when I was racing in my 20's (1990's!) 50 now but only joined Strava in July this year. Only got back into cycling this year! :lol:

Mind you, 21 KOM's since the end of July! I guess where you live helps depending upon how many 'good' cyclists are around. I'm in the Algarve, Portugal now. But, lots of racing locally, Pro too so some segments are insane. Plenty of tourists riding about and great winter training location.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    There are plenty of people who will do pretty much anything for even a very little bit of fame,