The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross wrote:
    Unless visibility was less than 100m they may have been the only one not breaking the law (assuming they had some form of lighting).

Nope, no lights at all. And visibility was a lot less than 50m at times, let alone 100m - it's horrible out there. It was so bad that Audis even started using indicators when changing lanes. Still raining constantly here in Wakefield and radar suggests it's moving north, so won't be improving out on the course.

That Valter slide is shocking - shows how little grip there is in some sections. Watching him struggling to retain some sort of balance before the inevitable off is pretty sickening too, although easier to watch once you know he walks off at the end.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    That looks crazy. Surely they have to consider abandoning it and restarting when the course isn't a river in full flow.
  • The forecast is for heavy rain for the rest of the afternoon, surely they may have to look at postponing the Women's Elite TT which is supposed to take place later?
  • This is just going to sit there for the rest of the afternoon:

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
  • This is also a pretty reliable 36 hour forecast https://www.forecast.co.uk/rain/
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    jesus , that's savage.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    My French coleagues were saying 'but Yorkshire, doesn't it rain a lot there?' of course, i said that's just a stereotype...
  • Those are horrendous crashes, even if the riders are ok.

Imagine the balls of hammering it into a puddle as deep as the hubs on the tri bars at 50K.
  • Those are horrendous crashes, even if the riders are ok.

Imagine the balls of hammering it into a puddle as deep as the hubs on the tri bars at 50K.

I get that there's a racing line to corners, and the outside was off-camber, but really can't fathom the decision to ride into the middle of a puddle that's spread across half the road in the expectation it'll be quicker than going the couple of metres further that prudence would dictate. At the very least that water's going to slow you down considerably. I'm not sure it takes balls so much as a total lack of brains - or am i being harsh?

Valter's fall looked much more like bad luck to me though.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    I guess that with flash flooding and such low light it's hard to see how bad it is until you're right on top of it
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    I guess that with flash flooding and such low light it's hard to see how bad it is until you're right on top of it

Good point about the light, I suppose - might be much easier to see on camera.
  • Racing delayed until further notice according to screens by the finish
  • gweeds
    Eurosport are saying start at 3.20pm but who knows. This weather is pants.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Gweeds wrote:
    Could make for a gnarly road race Sunday though.

Apparently we are still going to go and camp, I'm worried the campsite will be underwater though.
  • gweeds
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Apparently we are still going to go and camp, I'm worried the campsite will be underwater though.

Attritional much. MVDP and Gilbert will be rubbing their hands I'd imagine.
  • Ladies TT has been confirmed as going ahead according to twitter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Gweeds wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Unfortunately probably better viewed from the sofa rather than the centre of a p*ss-wet Harrogate where I will probably be.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    How disappointing. :(
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Unfortunately probably better viewed from the sofa rather than the centre of a p*ss-wet Harrogate where I will probably be.
    You are a bastion of fortitude for all of us. Don't whimp out now! :P
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Those are horrendous crashes, even if the riders are ok.

I get that there's a racing line to corners, and the outside was off-camber, but really can't fathom the decision to ride into the middle of a puddle that's spread across half the road in the expectation it'll be quicker than going the couple of metres further that prudence would dictate. At the very least that water's going to slow you down considerably. I'm not sure it takes balls so much as a total lack of brains - or am i being harsh?

Valter's fall looked much more like bad luck to me though.
    I agree it's probably very hard to see at that speed.

The ingress of water and grime into the bottom bracket bearings of the bike makes me shudder. :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Bizarrely we're doing a live PSTN and broadband analysis on the Openreach network at this very moment and guess what's just popped due to all the bad weather...a Harrogate exchange and about 40 odd green cabinets! It's caused chaos.

(I don't work for OR so no hate mail please - we're just looking into weather impact on the network across the UK)
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited September 2019
    Are they using a different start to the TTT and the Junior start?
    Is that because the original start was effectively in the fan zone and that's too wet to use now?
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    Are they using a different start to the TTT and the Junior start?

Yeah. Those ones were held on a shortish circuit around Harrogate, today's are starting in RIpon and go across country.
  • Dorset_Boy
    :oops: :oops: Ah, that makes sense! Maybe I should have looked at the route, instead of assuming they'd just use the Harrogate circuit i've been Zwifting on! :D
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    :oops: :oops: Ah, that makes sense! Maybe I should have looked at the route, instead of assuming they'd just use the Harrogate circuit i've been Zwifting on! :D

Look on the bright side - you were beating the pros by absolutely ages!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Gweeds wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

are they camping too?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Trentin goes well in the rain.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Dygert absolutely annihilating the field in the WTT...
  • ocdupalais
    The time checks are very Tour of California-esque, though if you’ve ever watched that...
  • ocdupalais
    Nope - right first time: Dygert properly battered everyone.