BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    wow, Unanimous decision by the Supreme Court

Boris has not won a House of Commons vote, he’s shed his Parliamentary majority and now he’s been found by the highest court in the land to have acted illegally. Oh and that’s not forgetting his “friend” who has gained a six figure grants from HMG which are now being re examined

And still we don’t have an effective opposition to hold this cunts feet or face to the fire

What next for Boris ?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Unlawfully not illegally. There is a difference.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    TheBigBean wrote:
    If you're an LD campaigner, you really hope someone in your party has a bunch of TV friendly bits of respectable and neutral people saying BoJo "lied to the queen" and acted "unlawfully".

The court didn't say that, so it would be a lie to say that it did. Unlawful yes.
    they upheld the Scottish Decision.
    So yes, they did.

Seen the minutes of any meeting? Thought not.

As I understand it, the 'advice' to the Queen to prorogue Parliament came from the Privy Council. JRM and 2 other members met with the Queen to form a quorum. JRM read out the order and the Queen replied, "Approved", as she is obliged to follow the advice of the Privy Council.

But just like Chris Bass (not his real name) in the other thread, I could be wrong.
  • ballysmate
    Slowmart wrote:
    wow, Unanimous decision by the Supreme Court

Boris has not won a House of Commons vote, he’s shed his Parliamentary majority and now he’s been found by the highest court in the land to have acted illegally. Oh and that’s not forgetting his “friend” who has gained a six figure grants from HMG which are now being re examined

And still we don’t have an effective opposition to hold this ***** feet or face to the fire

What next for Boris ?

No he hasn't. Unlawfully.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Johnson "the Supreme Court has said prorogation is not something they could approve of"
    Looks and sounds like a man in a deep hole using a shovel to get out.

Gonna need a JCB me thinks.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Brexit Party Chairman says we won't leave on 31st October and Brexit will be postponed.
    to be fair, Farage has been saying that for months

OK, I wouldn't know. I make a point of doing an 'all 3 wise monkeys at once' impression whenever he speaks.

a wise move on your part :wink:

Getting people's LIES second or third hand instead?

fixed :wink:

Bit of virtue signalling on Cake Stop, well who'd have thunk it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,737
    From October 13th 2014.
    Has anything changed apart from personnel? Sadly not.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    One MP out of 650 will not make any difference.

Maybe not but those useless feckwits like Cameron and Miliband need to start taking note. They get too complacent and people will let them know what they think by voting for the likes of UKIP no matter how unsavourary people might find that idea.
    One out of 650 just now will not make a difference right now, but I agree with you.
    I think that in the next election those who voted Liberal last time as a protest vote will migrate to UKIP along with a few disaffected from the other parties.
    Then there will be a difference.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,569
    Update:
    - Recess motion expected to be tabled tomorrow.
    - Opposition MPs might need to vote against given the amount of recent complaints. This would only affect the Conservative party conference. Arguably, not a very sporting move.
    - Johnson still keen on a Queen's speech, so further prorogation to come.
    - Grieve/Bercow plotting more lawfare via emergency debates
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    PBlakeney wrote:
    From October 13th 2014.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Maybe not but those useless feckwits like Cameron and Miliband need to start taking note. They get too complacent and people will let them know what they think by voting for the likes of UKIP no matter how unsavourary people might find that idea.
    One out of 650 just now will not make a difference right now, but I agree with you.
    I think that in the next election those who voted Liberal last time as a protest vote will migrate to UKIP along with a few disaffected from the other parties.

People who voted LibDem will change to UKIP? Really?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,737
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    From October 13th 2014.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

People who voted LibDem will change to UKIP? Really?
    That was 5 years ago and the prospect was scary enough for DC to get us where we are today.
    My point is that things have not progressed much in these 5 years. Westminster is still full of useless feckers. Even more useless in fact.....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Update:
    - Opposition MPs might need to vote against given the amount of recent complaints. This would only affect the Conservative party conference. Arguably, not a very sporting move.

Haha. It would be poetic.
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

"Many people are saying I'm not saying this, but many people..are saying that the judges are biased the judges are getting involved in politics. I'm just saying what people are saying."

Finally a politician that does actually know what people are thinking. They are a rare beast...

When you say "knows what the people are thinking" I assume you mean "knows what me and like minded people are thinking"? As you might have noticed the country is split down the middle so it's impossible say "this is what the people are saying / thinking". If we are going by majorities then a poll on the proroguing issue showed 47% were against compared to 24% in favour so the judges are in line with the people on that and we know you like the will of the people to be followed.

The Scottish court would have been fully aware of the the UK High Court decision to judge this was a political decision and not for the courts, so how have the Scottish judges not even got close to the UK High Court decision?

You would think senior judges with their legal experience would have similar interpretations of law especially when they are fully aware of a recent decision from another senior court.

Now wonder their independence is being called into question with the route they have taken

You know that Scotland has its own legal system don't you (and someone has already posted about the differences on constitutional law)? Scotland is still at least partially governed by UK parliament so they have every right to decide if Parliament is acting within Scottish law.

Besides, what we are getting is what Brexiteers are so keen on and UK Courts taking back control and making decisions rather than leaving it to those corrupt foreigners. I would have thought you'd approve.

The Scottish court via these 3 judges has allowed itself to become a useful idiot on behalf of remainer extremists. They could easily, in full knowledge of the decision by another senior UK court have said this is a political decision and referred it to the supreme court as the UK High Court did.

It is their own fault they have allowed their neutrality to be brought into question

*chuckle*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Judges decide to become political. They really won't like the changes that are down the line because of what they have started.

Parliament is still going to get one hell of a kicking at the next election. They have gone rogue on democracy and the people. They will learn they must respect the people the hard way.
  • Judges decide to become political. They really won't like the changes that are down the line because of what they have started.

Parliament is still going to get one hell of a kicking at the next election. They have gone rogue on democracy and the people. They will learn they must respect the people the hard way.

Even by your standards this is garbage.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Tom Peck
    @tompeck
    · 3h
    Just imagine, imagine being Jacob Rees-Mogg. You live out your entire adult life an Edwardian pastiche of a Tory MP. Two minutes in the cabinet and the Supreme Court finds you’ve openly lied to the Queen.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I for one can't believe a British Government has never acted unlawfully before.

Aren't we witnessing so called British sovereignty in action?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Longshot wrote:
    Judges decide to become political. They really won't like the changes that are down the line because of what they have started.

He doesn't have any standards..

They judge the law. They don't care about your feelings.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Update:

I'd be suprised if they vote against a recess.
    There's nothing to be gained.

I'd expect the key battlegrounds to be no deal prep and the negotiations with lots and lots of urgent questions for ministers.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Imposter wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Judges decide to become political. They really won't like the changes that are down the line because of what they have started.

He doesn't have any standards..
    I think he's also going to be in a bit of a minority, since even the Mail and Telegraph don't seem to be denouncing it too much yet (although wait and see tomorrow's front pages I guess). And Farage is now against the prorogation apparently.
  • My god, the absolute twaddle being spouted by some people over this is glorious to behold :mrgreen:

You have to laugh at people who banged on about taking back control and British parliamentary sovereignty, who then get all upset when exactly that happens.
  • They don't care about your feelings.
    Neither do I. I don't care about what he writes either. I'm not sure why anyone does.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    My god, the absolute twaddle being spouted by some people over this is glorious to behold :mrgreen:

You have to laugh at people who banged on about taking back control and British parliamentary sovereignty, who then get all upset when exactly that happens.
    Also the ones who said the prorogation was nothing to do with Brexit now saying that the Supreme Court is siding with Remainers.

Isn't that admitting that the prorogation was exactly to do with Brexit?!?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    Johnson's response pretty much confirms my suspicion the strategy is still "the elite are working against us to get this done, only we, the Tories, will get it over the line" and this outcome falls directly into this narrative.
  • But the Tories 'are' the elite, aren't they?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624

Parliament is just who we elect. How do we give it "a kicking" by electing a slightly different selection of people?

If you don't like the current bunch perhaps you should have voted differently in 2017.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    But the Tories 'are' the elite, aren't they?

Presumably the strategy is that the elite are anyone who opposes Brexit, which was pretty much how the leaver side defined their opposition in the culture wars.

Surely we know by now that one's background is irrelevant; the elite are anti-populist, and that's that.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Parliament is just who we elect. How do we give it "a kicking" by electing a slightly different selection of people?

If you don't like the current bunch perhaps you should have voted differently in 2017.

Tough to vote in UK elections from Russia, though presumably not entirely impossible, but probably beyond his pay-grade.