Lapierre Zesty AM 327 2017 upgrades

JoannC
JoannC Posts: 10
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
I have a Lapierre Zesty 327AM and I want to up grade a few parts on it and give it to my son who is 12 and is too tall for his Trek Superfly.

He rides cross country, bike park/trail centre red and blue routes across the UK and once a year we go to the Alps.

It has all standard components apart from saddle (which will need swapping) and pedals, DMR V12's and Ergon grips. I was thinking of getting an Ergon junior saddle for him.

I would be interested to hear opinions on upgrades.

Thanks in Advance

Jo

Comments

• You don't mention a budget, but the best upgrade would be some new tyres suited to what he does most. Maybe also converted to tubeless.

I haven't looked up the spec of the bike, but if it doesn't have a dropper seat post, then get one - even before the tyres! Brand-X make some fantastic value droppers and fitted one to my grandson's bike for his 12th birthday. I got it from CRC. There are several different types so take your time and get the right one.

Other stuff I can think of as upgrades, not necessarily cheap. If the bike is not a 1x, then make it so! If the bike is 10-speed then get the biggest range cassette you can find. OR convert to 11 or 12- speed (which will depend upon your budget). I have had 1x in 10, 11 and 12-speed and for me, 11-speed with a wide range cassette hits the spot.

Non-bike stuff: Does he have a decent backpack? What about a trail helmet instead of an XC helmet? They look much cooler and provide additional protection in the event of a fall. Some decent specs. They provide eye protection from brambles, twigs, insects, mud etc as well as the sun if you buy ones with reactive lenses. They look cool too.
  • Hi, thanks for the reply, it has a dropper seat post already, and he is sorted for gear and has a good helmet, and a full face helmet for the Alps. I was thinking of maybe changing it to 1x depending on cost, and getting a cool bar and stem. New tyres and going tubeless might be of the biggest benefit so I might go with that.

I wanted to change a few bits so it felt more like his bike than my bike.

FrameZESTY AM 27.5’’ ALLOY SUPREME 6 OST+ 150mm Rear Travel
    ForkROCKSHOX YARI RC 27.5’’ SOLO AIR 150mm 15QR
    Shock AbsorberROCKSHOX MONARCH RT 190x51mm DBHVI
    HeadsetFSA ORBIT 1.5E ZS NO.57E + 8mm Top Cap
    Bottom bracketSHIMANO SMBB7141A PRESSFIT
    CranksetSHIMANO DEORE FCM617CX62L 36x22 175mm
    StemLAPIERRE Nico Vouilloz Alu 6061 Ø: 31.8mm L: 55mm
    SeatpostLAPIERRE YSP-12L DROPPER POST Ø: 31.6mm Travel: 125mm
    HandlebarLAPIERRE Nico Vouilloz Signature Alu 6061 W: 760mm R: 15mm Ø: 31.8mm
    Front derailleurSHIMANO DEORE FDM618E6X E-TYPE
    Rear derailleurSHIMANO XT RDM786GSL 10-Speed
    BrakesSHIMANO HYDRAULIC DEORE BRM506 BLACK- SHIMANO ASMRT56 180mm / 180mm 6 Bolt Type
    ShiftersSHIMANO DEORE SLM610 2x10-Speed
    SaddleSDG FLY MTN CRMO CUSTOM
    WheelMAVIC EN427 (Front) / XM424 (Rear) 27.5’’ 32H - FORMULA DC51 15QR 32H -FORMULA DHT142 32H BLACK 12x142mm + LAQR-12-E Thru Axle
    SprocketSHIMANO DEORE CSHG5010136 11x36 10-Speed
    TiresMICHELIN WILD ROCK’R2 LIGHT EDITION TUBELESS READY 27.5x2.35
  • Maybe a 200mm front disc for the Alps?
    You will need a different spacer between the fork and the caliper. Go to Superstar Components for that.
    https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... daptor.htm

Choose carefully.
    https://www.superstarcomponents.com/lib ... I_need.pdf
  • I have the AM 427 same year model but very similar spec. In my opinion the bike is perfect as is and doesn't need any upgrades as long as everything works for you. My dropper started sticking so I replaced that first and the tyres with lighter Nobby Nics. Great bike!