Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    However, Renault engines were amongst the best during the time their engines were dominating F!.
    Not so recently learned, but a documentary at the time revealed that the optimum engine was the one that would fail 10m past the finish line. Explains a lot of F1 car failures.

That's right; they were built for each race until F1 was sanitised, err... I mean, da rools changed.
    In Moto GP, tyres are made to last the 26 or whatever laps and no more. Any surplus longevity compromises grip.

This is essentially a decent cycling coach's motto though - you should be able to cross the line but if you can still climb off the bike you didn't give enough.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    HaydenM wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I had sort of assumed that more people under a certain age have an inherent propensity to learn new software as they were doing it from a very young age
    Oh, if only....

More suited to the annoyances thread, but if I had a quid for every parent who has told me something like "oh he really enjoys computers, he's on his all the time" which translates as "gamer who has no clue how to make their computer do anything useful, nor any desire to learn"

I understand that but I still think a Grad today could have a head start over a grad of 15 years ago having grown up using computers for everything. I never really spent much time gaming though

The down side of that is that kids are entering primary school today unable to hold a pen/pencil/crayon, but oddly they can draw with their finger like on a tablet screen. And one of my little sisters friends a few years ago (she's 8 now) didn't have a clue how to turn a page in a book - she was trying to swipe the page. Like on a tablet.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Mouth wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I had sort of assumed that more people under a certain age have an inherent propensity to learn new software as they were doing it from a very young age
    Oh, if only....

More suited to the annoyances thread, but if I had a quid for every parent who has told me something like "oh he really enjoys computers, he's on his all the time" which translates as "gamer who has no clue how to make their computer do anything useful, nor any desire to learn"

I understand that but I still think a Grad today could have a head start over a grad of 15 years ago having grown up using computers for everything. I never really spent much time gaming though

The down side of that is that kids are entering primary school today unable to hold a pen/pencil/crayon, but oddly they can draw with their finger like on a tablet screen. And one of my little sisters friends a few years ago (she's 8 now) didn't have a clue how to turn a page in a book - she was trying to swipe the page. Like on a tablet.

Remember the first time I signed for a package with my finger after postie gave me the stick thingy. He was gob smacked.

I was a bit older than 8 in those days.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,587
    Mouth wrote:
    This is essentially a decent cycling coach's motto though - you should be able to cross the line but if you can still climb off the bike you didn't give enough.
    Yeahbut, cyclists don't expect their legs to explode just past the finish line. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Mouth wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Oh, if only....

Not having a clue how to do something because they have never had to isn't a bad thing, especially when it is something that takes about 3 seconds to learn how to do.

Learning how to use technology is a good skill, turning pages is a good skill, if you can use technology I'd guess you'll be able to handle turning pages when shown!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • robert88
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Yeahbut, cyclists don't expect their legs to explode just past the finish line. :lol:

It is possible to give too much:

P1060073a.jpg
  • chris_bass
    stolen from a different thread - I never knew Ali G's real (fake real/real fake?! who knows) name:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Don't worry, I didn't expect everyone to get it.

I'm not entirely sure you did either, but never mind.
    You didn't try to explain your point so I didn't bother to think about it. Got dose of 'rickitis'? :wink:

It's a white guy playing a white guy. It's taking the p*ss out of middle class, suburban, white kids adopting inner city black street culture because they think it's cool, but not really getting it.
    Not exactly. It's a white guy playing an Asian character who is pretending to be black.

https://youtu.be/QaZbrqE1CF4

The character's 'real' name is Alistair Leslie Graham. Baron Cohen has stated that he was loosely based on Tim Westwood.
    You learn something every day. And for you, an important debate won :)
  • Robert88 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

It is possible to give too much:

P1060073a.jpg

Or take too much :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    That you catch the sun more up in the mountains even though it's cooler in the valleys. Nursing sore shoulders and neck today.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    That you catch the sun more up in the mountains even though it's cooler in the valleys. Nursing sore shoulders and neck today.
    Cos you're closer to it, obvs
  • bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Obvs. That 500m off 93 million miles makes a hell of a difference.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,587
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    There's not much pollution in the initial 99.9999995% though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    However, Renault engines were amongst the best during the time their engines were dominating F!.
    Not so recently learned, but a documentary at the time revealed that the optimum engine was the one that would fail 10m past the finish line. Explains a lot of F1 car failures.

That's right; they were built for each race until F1 was sanitised, err... I mean, da rools changed.
    In Moto GP, tyres are made to last the 26 or whatever laps and no more. Any surplus longevity compromises grip.

and they literally do mean they had a race engine that was just used for that race not the weekend just the race, and they had a qualifying engine (that was even more likely to go pop after just an hours use) just for qualifying and another engine used for practice sessions...it was real marginal gains stuff, post race the engine would get stripped down, rebuilt and reconditioned usually for use as a practice or test session spare I dont think they ever double raced the same engine with the top teams, the teams with less money might have done so or reused their reconditioned engines, but then engine development was more freely allowed so things tended to change rapidly anyway

Ive always been surprised cycling teams havent quite it feels gone down that route yet as its a very prevelant attitude in motorsport (where its allowed part of the reason F1 introduced parc ferme rules and curfews was to stop them doing it) but where theyll strip a car or motorbike down on a race weekend ahead of the race and just replace everything consumable with brand new bits, so brakes,clutches,gearboxes etc, it always raced in as near brand new condition as it could get.
  • robert88
    It's all so last century.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    awavey wrote:
    Ive always been surprised cycling teams havent quite it feels gone down that route yet as its a very prevelant attitude in motorsport (where its allowed part of the reason F1 introduced parc ferme rules and curfews was to stop them doing it) but where theyll strip a car or motorbike down on a race weekend ahead of the race and just replace everything consumable with brand new bits, so brakes,clutches,gearboxes etc, it always raced in as near brand new condition as it could get.

I think a lot of componentry is replaced very frequently but no point making it super light and more likely to break if you then have to ballast the bike to bring it back to the minimum weight limit. Which is why the weight limit is such a good idea. The big difference between F1 is that it is not about the bike but it is about the car.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    How the repo market actually works ;)

https://twitter.com/SuperMugatu/status/ ... 2167475200
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:

500m? I wasn't in low lying England, I was up at 800m at times!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Travel insurance doesn't cover airline failure as standard.
  • robert88
    Chris Bass admits he could be wrong. On The Cake Stop.. :shock:
  • chris_bass
    Robert88 wrote:
    Chris Bass sometimes lies. On The Cake Stop.. :shock:

FTFY :wink:
  • Floella Benjamin and Bruce Springsteen were born.....on the same day.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've learnt that the toaster number being minutes is either bobbins, or I need a new toaster.
  • chris_bass
    Fenix wrote:
    I've learnt that the toaster number being minutes is either bobbins, or I need a new toaster.

toasters you say..... no, don't worry, I won't go down that rabbit (or rarebit) hole again!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

I haven't spotted any lies. You must be good at it :lol:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • chris_bass
    Pinno wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

My name isn't really Chris Bass so i guess almost every post begins with a lie :)

As an interesting aside - if you base you morality on religion there is no real way to know if lying is good or bad.

As God in all the main religions is seen to be "all good" then:

If lying is good - God would lie and say it is bad (which they do)
    If lying is bad - God would tell the truth and say lying is bad (which they do)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Chris Bass wrote:
    If lying is good - God would lie and say it is bad (which they do)
    If lying is bad - God would tell the truth and say lying is bad (which they do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKeNKvl-J4
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • chris_bass
    in summary - religion is doesn't make sense!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    Publications that normally don't write about finance things really shouldn't write about finance things.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    in summary - religion is doesn't make sense!
    It always amuses me that Occam's Razor, which should be applied to religion and suggests that it's all tosh, was named after a religious scholar.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

My name isn't really Chris Bass so i guess almost every post begins with a lie :)

What???? WHAT????!!!!!!

Well, that's spoiled my day. Next it will be BrianTrumpet telling us that that isn't really his name either........ :(
    Faster than a tent.......