Rapha Essentials Accessories Case - Can You Fit a Waterproof Jacket Inside?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited September 2019 in Road general
Hi, I bought a Rapha Core waterproof jacket in their sale a few weeks back and tomorrow's wet weather forecast will probably be it's first outing.

It doesn't come with a stuff sack, so just wondering the best way of carrying it rather than just folding it up and trying to stuff it in a pocket? I was looking at the Rapha Essentials case and was wondering if you could fit one in there?

Seems like a good solution; keep it in there until the rain hits and then you can take it out and put your phone/valuables in there instead. Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• Why does it need a pouch? Just fold it up tight and put it in your pocket.
  • No, case is thin and doesn't really expand. You can just about get a phone, keys and a bit of cash in there. Just had a go at getting my gore rain jacket in there to check and it didn't fit. That's the standard case though, not sure on the large but still think it is unlikely.
  • :( That's a shame but thanks for taking the time to try it out.

As for folding it up, sure that's an option, but I'm all about saving faff and given the number of times I envisage wanting to take it with me over the next 6-8 months of autumn, winter and spring, I'd say finding a way of keeping it packed rather than folding it up every single time is a worthwhile endeavour.
  • It'll take you just as long packing it into a case as it does to simply roll it up and stick it in your pocket.

Each to their own.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I have a lightweight jacket that comes with it's own stuffsack but very rarely use it as the jacket goes in the back pocket much better when it's not in the bag and can conform to the shape of the pocket.

If you do use a pouch of some sort you have to take the jacket out after every ride anyway otherwise it will go mouldy from the sweat exposure.
  • The essentials case is for a phone and a credit card or two...theres no way under the sun a jacket would go in it, as others say, if its a thin waterproof membrane they roll up to almost nothing anyway..roll and stuff, rubber band round it to make sure its as small as you can make it....
  • I am sat here with a Rapha Core waterproof jacket (size S) on the back of my chair and a (standard size) essentials case on my desk. Will the former go into the latter...?

(20 seconds of stuffing, squeezing and zip pulling later)...

Yes. At a squeeze. But I think it will put undue pressure on the zip as that's not what the case is designed for. Plus you would run the risk of damaging the jacket when you are zipping it open and closed.

"Seems like a good solution; keep it in there until the rain hits and then you can take it out and put your phone/valuables in there instead."

:?

What would you be keeping your phone/valuables in if you don't use the jacket?
  • sorry - you've just all paid £30 for something to keep a telephone and a credit card in?

seriously?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • But ... Rapha!
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    But ... Rapha!

ah yes! good point well presented.

#explainsall

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • This will fit a Rapha core rain jacket, and a cap, and maybe a co2 pump or something similar as well, supposed to mount up on the top tube around the headset, but i use it under the top tube and attached to the seat tube, but may affect space for a second bottle. yes, its still Rapha and expensive, but for me its pretty good for that purpose. others will disagree.

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/waterpr ... BTT01XXBLK
  • I am sat here with a Rapha Core waterproof jacket (size S) on the back of my chair and a (standard size) essentials case on my desk. Will the former go into the latter...?

(20 seconds of stuffing, squeezing and zip pulling later)...

Yes. At a squeeze. But I think it will put undue pressure on the zip as that's not what the case is designed for. Plus you would run the risk of damaging the jacket when you are zipping it open and closed.

"Seems like a good solution; keep it in there until the rain hits and then you can take it out and put your phone/valuables in there instead."

:?

What would you be keeping your phone/valuables in if you don't use the jacket?

That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to try that! Nice to see a helpful and constructive reply for once :lol:

My Core jacket is an XS and I'm thinking of going for the Lightweight Essentials Case, which apparently has a bit more "give" than the standard leather (effect?) one; there's some interesting comparisons in online reviews. I folded it up as neatly and tight as possible for today's ride and it sure looks like it should fit in one, so I think I might just give it a shot!

I just keep my phone etc loose in my pocket under normal circumstances but it'd be nice to use the case for a bit of added protection in wet weather.

To Mr Mouse, thanks for the suggestion; I have a very similar top-tube case from Lezyne and it's great but I don't like strapping extraneous stuff to my bike unless absolutely necessary :wink:
  • [That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to try that! Nice to see a helpful and constructive reply for once :lol:

My Core jacket is an XS and I'm thinking of going for the Lightweight Essentials Case, which apparently has a bit more "give" than the standard leather (effect?) one; there's some interesting comparisons in online reviews. I folded it up as neatly and tight as possible for today's ride and it sure looks like it should fit in one, so I think I might just give it a shot!

I just keep my phone etc loose in my pocket under normal circumstances but it'd be nice to use the case for a bit of added protection in wet weather.

To Mr Mouse, thanks for the suggestion; I have a very similar top-tube case from Lezyne and it's great but I don't like strapping extraneous stuff to my bike unless absolutely necessary :wink:

You do realise that cramming/folding a rain jacket inside the case will cause creases which will eventually reduce the waterproofing in the laminate along the lines, thus making your waterproof jacket just a wind jacket? As folk have already pointed out, you roll the thing up if there's a chance of rain or wear it out the door. Don't f4nny about.

The leather Essentials case is real leather. It's pretty much indestructible. I've still got the one I bought in 2011. If it was a pointless bit of tat you wouldn't have a few dozen imitations from other brands on the market.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    I'd suggest putting the phone etc in the case in any event due to potential moisture, and the jacket in a pocket. Like everyone else, and as intended.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • [That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to try that! Nice to see a helpful and constructive reply for once :lol:

You do realise that cramming/folding a rain jacket inside the case will cause creases which will eventually reduce the waterproofing in the laminate along the lines, thus making your waterproof jacket just a wind jacket? As folk have already pointed out, you roll the thing up if there's a chance of rain or wear it out the door. Don't f4nny about.

The leather Essentials case is real leather. It's pretty much indestructible. I've still got the one I bought in 2011. If it was a pointless bit of tat you wouldn't have a few dozen imitations from other brands on the market.

This.

Mate - take the advice of the majority, just keep the jacket in a pocket and the phone in the phone case as per the intended use. Just because it will go in, doesn't mean it should.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    If you don't want it in your pocket or don't have the space, lash it under the saddle with a toe-strap.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    sorry - you've just all paid £30 for something to keep a telephone and a credit card in?

seriously?

Protects a phone potentially worth between £500-1000 ...

I use one, probably one of my fave 'extra' items. I could use a plastic bag, but it's nice to be a bit flash sometimes :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    sorry - you've just all paid £30 for something to keep a telephone and a credit card in?

seriously?

:

so does plastic bag and a sock, leaving £28 for beer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:

seriously?

:

Id rather have both feet warm and dry. Left or right? Id most likely go left, but no ...
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

seriously?

:

Id rather have both feet warm and dry. Left or right? Id most likely go left, but no ...

I strongly suggest you use a sock that does not form part of the pair you are wearing and is not also your "special" sock for special solitary moments, if you know what I mean.

if money is tight you could go halves on a spare pair with a friend.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    I strongly suggest you use a sock that does not form part of the pair you are wearing and is not also your "special" sock for special solitary moments, if you know what I mean.

I think you have already outlined how the spare sock would come about. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • carbonclem
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

seriously?

:

Spare socks? Just lying about not being used? Who’s being flash now??
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

seriously?

:

Spare socks? Just lying about not being used? Who’s being flash now??

its only because i inherited one and found the other by a Sally Army clothes bin. they don't really match but i believe that is on point now, n'est ce pas?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.