Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Just strayed into the Last Night of the Proms on tv and they were playing Land of Hope and Glory and amongst the Union Flags and the flags of St George were quite a few EU flags and it makes me smile that there will be loads of gammons going absolutely apeshit about it.

actually I loved the inverse of it :) there were so many EU flag hat wearers who were just singing along to Rule Britannia,Land of Hope Glory,Jerusalem the national anthem... :wink: none of them shouting for a chorus of Ode to Joy :lol:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    When someone in the street hires a skip and you get to throw your rubbish in instead of going to the tip.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    A mentally retarded man stole a cellphone from a shop. He was caught but the owner of the shop decided to let him keep it, after all, the mentally challenged gentleman would not know how to operate the complicated handset. However, something funny happened as the the mentally retarded man pressed the phone, it did not respond. So, he continued pressing, pressing and pressing ....
    Read more
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited September 2019
    Jim Maxwell's excitement in announcing the Shipping Forecast for R4LW listeners on TMS
  • Jim Maxwell's excitement in announcing the Shipping Forecast for R4LW listens on TMS

And just after England take final wicket to win Test and draw series.
  • mfin wrote:
    When someone in the street hires a skip and you get to throw your rubbish in instead of going to the tip.

In the name of God please confirm you ask permission.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:

In the name of God please confirm you ask permission.

Where would the fun be in that?

*Only joking, I put people putting things in your skip in the things that annoy you thread
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Hearing Chris Lowe (Pet Shop Boy #2) actually speak...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    My 3 screen set up for working from home! If I could add a forth I probably would!

It is very easy to lose where my mouse cursor is though!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    mfin wrote:

When you make a really good skip-find.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

When someone is stupid enough to include their address in the rubbish dumped in your skip.
  • cowsham
    The traffic being very courteous to me on today's ride -- and the weather being great at the same time.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Ran out of water on a long fell race in the Beacons today so had to refill from a stream. You can keep the fancy bottled spring waters, nothing could be as refreshing. It really picked me up for the final slog.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Robert88 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I have a butchers block that was in a skip in Islington in about 1995, still going strong to this day , absolute bargain
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Pross wrote:
    Ran out of water on a long fell race in the Beacons today so had to refill from a stream. You can keep the fancy bottled spring waters, nothing could be as refreshing. It really picked me up for the final slog.
    There are probably some nutrients in the dissolved sheep sh1t :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    There are probably some nutrients in the dissolved sheep sh1t :)

And protein from a deceased sheep upstream but it was delicious plus a bit of gut rot might get me down to race weight for my marathon
  • finding out that Igor Polyansky uses an old suitcase to transport his bike around and not some clubbie bike box.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    That gong that is being used to mark the end of forty minutes at the Rugby World Cup
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    crispybug2 wrote:
    That gong that is being used to mark the end of forty minutes at the Rugby World Cup
    That is epic :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Japan beating Ireland. Nothing against Ireland in the slightest but Japan deserved that for the way they played and the relentless energy. Superb.
  • Pross
    Hammer throwers chucking the hammer into the cage.
  • chris_bass
    Pross wrote:

haha - i know what you mean!

I file that in he same place as people running for the bus or train and not making it! extra points if they try and style it out like they weren't trying to get there and just wanted to have a little run!
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I file that in he same place as people running for the bus or train and not making it! extra points if they try and style it out like they weren't trying to get there and just wanted to have a little run!

Yes me too i often picture them carry on spinning out to the field like Looney Tunes Tasmanian Devil with sound effects as well.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pross wrote:

even after reading this ? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... n-at-75mph
  • cowsham
    awavey wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pross wrote:

even after reading this ? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... n-at-75mph

Incredible story -- she must have been super fit to survive that ordeal.
  • chris_bass
    yeah she was - apparently she did a lot of training
  • Pross
    Earning a hundred quid for a few hours work on a Sunday morning just for holding a pint glass, singing the Welsh national anthem a few times and shouting at a TV screen whilst getting fed a free cooked breakfast. Film extra work is a piece of ****. Irony is that if I hadn't been there getting paid for that I'd have been doing much the same at home watching the rugby!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Meant in not a sneering manner but watching MvdP blow up big time in the final lap of the World's RR. Lights out, all done. Happened to me in 2017 on a long ride, since when I've paid lot more attention to nutrition and hydration. Cheers me up that pro cyclists can get it so wrong as well. Shame, I thought he was on for the win.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The missus saying “ Does it b*ll*cks “ at various cleaning products advertised on the telly.
  • cowsham
    orraloon wrote:
    Meant in not a sneering manner but watching MvdP blow up big time in the final lap of the World's RR. Lights out, all done. Happened to me in 2017 on a long ride, since when I've paid lot more attention to nutrition and hydration. Cheers me up that pro cyclists can get it so wrong as well. Shame, I thought he was on for the win.

Happened to me too -- very scary when a long way from home with no water or food.