The Irony Thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Should I, as a white male, feel affronted that Whacko tried to white up? Or should that be whiteface?
    Is the term 'paleface' suitable or is it offensive?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,240
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Should I, as a white male, feel affronted that Whacko tried to white up? Or should that be whiteface?

Should you, as someone who doesn’t self identify as a thicko, understand and consider the historical context of racism, before making stupid remarks?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I wonder whether this guy could be in trouble now?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiskodRKYNv1W_UFXxuNL06fAgIhJdwaTbeRxnYlTqaaPO4CPS
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:

Should you, as someone who doesn’t self identify as a thicko, understand and consider the historical context of racism, before making stupid remarks?

Thicko? That's not a very enlightened expression for a 'woke' person like yourself is it?
    Intellectually challenged, if you don't mind, you humourless tw@t.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Whoosh.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Whoosh.
    Don't worry, I didn't expect everyone to get it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Ballysmate wrote:

yeah - i mean white people get it so bad, I dont know what the civil rights movement was making such a fuss about back then - at least they could go to a fancy dress party as whoever they wanted, pffft
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ballysmate
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

yeah - i mean white people get it so bad, I dont know what the civil rights movement was making such a fuss about back then - at least they could go to a fancy dress party as whoever they wanted, pffft

So that's a 'No' then?
    Thought not.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

So that's a 'No' then?
    Thought not.

You shouldn't do or feel anything as a white male, just as yourself! If you want to be offended or whatever, go for it
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure you did either, but never mind.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You didn't try to explain your point so I didn't bother to think about it. Got dose of 'rickitis'? :wink:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The super woke Justin Trudeau being outed as the Al Jolson of politics.
    Anyone who had looked into him in any detail knew he was not quite what he seemed.
    In what way? (I haven't paid too much attention to him tbh).

In any event, more than a little embarrassing. Imagine the forum activity this would generate if it was BoJo or Trump.

In their case it would be "Dog Bites Man" whereas this is more like "Man Bites Dog". Do you see the difference?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You didn't try to explain your point so I didn't bother to think about it. Got dose of 'rickitis'? :wink:

It's a white guy playing a white guy. It's taking the p*ss out of middle class, suburban, white kids adopting inner city black street culture because they think it's cool, but not really getting it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's a white guy playing a white guy. It's taking the p*ss out of middle class, suburban, white kids adopting inner city black street culture because they think it's cool, but not really getting it.
    Not exactly. It's a white guy playing an Asian character who is pretending to be black.

https://youtu.be/QaZbrqE1CF4
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not exactly. It's a white guy playing an Asian character who is pretending to be black.

The character's 'real' name is Alistair Leslie Graham. Baron Cohen has stated that he was loosely based on Tim Westwood.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The character's 'real' name is Alistair Leslie Graham. Baron Cohen has stated that he was loosely based on Tim Westwood.
    You learn something every day.

So it's a white guy playing a white character who is pretending to be black. An important distinction in this critical debate :)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You learn something every day. And for you, an important debate won :)

Absolutely :lol: Next time that comes up in a pub quiz...

As it happens, Baron Cohen did get some stick from people who thought the character's back story was just a cover for mocking black street culture. Who knows?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Thicko? That's not a very enlightened expression for a 'woke' person like yourself is it?

Oh sorry, it was a joke? In what way?
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Oh sorry, it was a joke? In what way?

Did you honestly take that to be a serious comment, believing that I would be affronted by MJ's changing appearance?
    If so, you will be able to walk down the street, wearing your 'thicko' label with pride.
  • rick_chasey
    Just do some better jokes next time. That are, you know, like a joke and funny.

See is as a favour to the humourless.
  • Just do some better jokes next time. That are, you know, like a joke and funny.

See is as a favour to the humourless.

it
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Is it irony when Rick is having a go at someone for not being funny enough? :)
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We know you are funny because you use all those winkies and smilies. That's how. :):wink::lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We know you are funny because you use all those winkies and smilies. That's how. :):wink::lol:
    I do try Robert :)

I have to say the way your house magically transformed from a nice house in the country with a lower meadow a few weeks ago, to one in a nice part of town the other day is quite amusing. Or should I call you Walter? :wink:
  • ballysmate
    I wonder if the Liberal guardian got the irony of Ellen de Generes liking Bush.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... -she-keeps

That should be bush, small b
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I wonder if the Liberal guardian got the irony of Ellen de Generes liking Bush.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... -she-keeps

That should be bush, small b

Least its not Bush jr I guess...
  • rick_chasey
    English travelling football fans who complain other nations are racist.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510

I haven't heard any racism at any match in England despite hearing some fairly vulgar language and songs. A few clubs still have a bad reputation, but it is a fairly legitimate criticism of last night's match.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

I haven't heard any racism at any match in England despite hearing some fairly vulgar language and songs. A few clubs still have a bad reputation, but it is a fairly legitimate criticism of last night's match.

Sterling got racially abused at Chelsea last season, and a banana was thrown on the pitch at Arsenal and Millwall and the clubs got just a £10k fine.

Not a defence of Bulgarian fans, they were clearly awful, but it's disappointing that when it's English fans people are a lot more muted, if fairly predictable.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    TheBigBean wrote:

Sterling got racially abused at Chelsea last season, and a banana was thrown on the pitch at Arsenal and Millwall and the clubs got just a £10k fine.

Not a defence of Bulgarian fans, they were clearly awful, but it's disappointing that when it's English fans people are a lot more muted, if fairly predictable.

See emphasis above - Millwall and Chelsea. I don't really believe the banana skin was a racist thing in the north London derby. He hadn't brought it to the game and according to witnesses just threw the nearest thing. Pleaded guilty to throwing something and apologised. Really quite different to widespread racism from Bulgarian fans.