Very good prices on Boardman?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
That's a great price for a di2 bike the 9.4. at £1799...
I dont think I've seen one cheaper than that price so making it THE cheapest di2 kitted bike currently.
Unless you know differently ; )

Comments

• Great bikes and extremely underrated. Means you see fewer on the road too!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Good prices and these are available on the cycle to work scheme (now the £1000 limit has been lifted)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I suspect the reason for the price is the frame colour.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    gsk82 wrote:
    I suspect the reason for the price is the frame colour.

Nowt wrong with the colours.

I have a friend who has the boardman tt bike in yellow and it is bloody lovely.
  • that greeny one is lovely, especially if ypu whack some phat ones on it.

only thing spoiling it is the disc brakes but hey, you can't have everything.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    What’s wrong with the colours? Would a dull black bike be worth more. If so, great. Better cheap bikes for me.
    Good bikes at good price.
  • If I had ~£1800 to spend on a rim brake bike, that Di2 Boardman would definitely be on the shortlist, almost worth getting just for the Di2 components!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • They are very good prices indeed especially the 9.4.
    I bought the 9.6 back in March from Cycle Republic near Warren St. It’s a brilliant bike and I’ve done approx 5000 miles on it already using it for commuting 30kms a day, Tour of Cambridge, London Nightrider and a couple more. I took over to Parga in Greece in the summer for 3 weeks and it chewed up the hills easily.
    It’s not “shouty” and it’s very understated which hopefully will make it not that nickable.

I’ve got Shimano Pro Vibe carbon aero bars and stem ready to go on along with the Di2 controller/charger to go in the bar end. I want to hide the wires as much as I can.
    Also got the gadget to utilise the secret buttons on top of the shifter to get info on my Garmin Edge. I changed the rear cassette so I could have a 32 tooth sprocket and fitted a gold chain.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    The Ultegra Di2 is a bargain IMHO.

I'm tempted.
  • I was looking for a 9.8 at the time of buying mine. There were some incredible deals on at the time in the black and yellow paint-job, like £5800 dropped to £3200. The only snag was..... extra small only. I called them all and extra small only. ☹️☹️
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What’s wrong with the colours? Would a dull black bike be worth more. If so, great. Better cheap bikes for me.
    Good bikes at good price.

Theres nothing wrong with it. But you often find that these low prices are on the colours that split opinions.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ibr17xvii wrote:

I'm tempted.

buy it. buy it buy it. buy it now. buy it. buy it. buy it now.

#buyitnow

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    ibr17xvii wrote:

I'm tempted.

#buyitnow

Not loads of reviews of it online & being 6 feet tall I'm in between sizes so would like to see it in person & have a sit on one.

Once I see it though it will only go 1 way......... :lol:
  • ibr17xvii wrote:
    ibr17xvii wrote:

I'm tempted.

#buyitnow

Not loads of reviews of it online & being 6 feet tall I'm in between sizes so would like to see it in person & have a sit on one.

Once I see it though it will only go 1 way......... :lol:

good work that man. new winter toy - sorted!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    edited September 2019
    Sorry, posting error!
  • camb wrote:
    Thank you, that is very helpful.

A couple more questions if I may.

Is it too 'race' given that at most I will be doing 100 km sportives twice a year and the rest of the time 30-50 km at the weekend. I only started cycling a couple of years ago.

No. In fact having this bike would mean you'll probably want to do longer rides at the weekend!

Secondly, there are a couple of reviews saying that the thinner tyres and rim breaks led to a bit of a 'slip' occasionally on wet roads. Again, given my lack of experience, would I better off with a non Di version and getting the disk breaks and perhaps even changing the tyres for slightly wider ones?

If 'thinner' tyres are a problem yes, get wider ones. Not sure what 'slip' means, but if you mean the wheel sliding in the wet, then it'll be the tyres not the brakes. Wider tyres allegedly give better grip due to a larger contact patch with the road, especially as you can run them at lower pressures.
    Disc brakes are great, especially if you are going to be in the wet a lot (ie commuting in the UK), but if you are limiting your rides to better weather, then there's really no need. So I think it depends on what you want to prioritise most - electronic shifting or disc brakes.

Again, many thanks.
  • My Boardman came with 25mm tyres on. Gives a nice comfy ride compared to my Specialized with 23mm fitted.
  • Two friends of mine have recently bought Boardmans - one got an ADV, the other a CGR. Both of these surprised me as to how good a bike they are for the money.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anyone know what tyre size will fit with mudguards on the disc brake version ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Yawn. The ford Mondeo of bikes.
  • Giant defy says one thing to me: meh

I'm sure it's wonderful amd dependable and smooth and armchair like comfort blah blah blah.

I think it is boring and bland. But then - this is one person's opinion and I've never ridden one.

Much like my wife refusing to let me even test drive a Ford Mondeo when we needed a new car.

I'd get the Boardman every time, unless there was fundamentally something wrong with it. The review posted up thread was highly praising, they're underrated by the bike snobs, look sexy, ride brilliantly and you'll rarely see another on the road.
  • camb wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

Found myself heading towards the Giant Defy Advanced 2 2020 ... at the moment

oh good grief no. please, no.

boardman all the way.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    camb wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

Found myself heading towards the Giant Defy Advanced 2 2020 ... at the moment

oh good grief no. please, no.

boardman all the way.
    This.

Saw a new Boardman in the flesh last week and looked great. Was unsure about the forks from review photos, but looked fine up close.