Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Labour conference fully focused on beating the Tories and preventing a Hard Brexit.

Just going to abolish the Deputy Leader role to get rid of Tom Watson then they're getting straight on it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Labour conference fully focused on beating the Tories and preventing a Hard Brexit.

Just going to abolish the Deputy Leader role to get rid of Tom Watson then they're getting straight on it.

Maybe that GE projection is accurate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    rjsterry wrote:
    Labour conference fully focused on beating the Tories and preventing a Hard Brexit.

Maybe that GE projection is accurate.
    Let's hope so.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    At the height of prices my house was 3x what I paid for it around 2000. I still have one huge regret. I bought in an area I wanted to live not where other people wanted to live. That means I missed out becoming mortgage free after 2 years of home ownership!

I'll explain, house prices tripled in my area over 4 or 5 years. In the neighbouring city these happened in 18 months to 2 years. One house I looked at for the same money as my house sold again after 2 years for enough money to clear my mortgage, buy a better house than mine on my very street and still have change for solicitor/estate agent fees and other moving expenses. It pays to live up north which was probably a decade plus behind the south in price rises. Where I live it happened about 4 years behind a city 40 minutes drive south.

Still can't complain.

Have always bought houses within a tolerable cycling distance of work or done jobs near to home.

Hate car commuting.

Now I live in the best part of town thanks to that. Would never want to live out in the sticks.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Robert88 wrote:
    Now I live in the best part of town thanks to that. Would never want to live out in the sticks.
    I now live out in the sticks thanks to that. Much better cycling. Would never want to live in town. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I must congratulate you Stevo as your £3 contribution keeps on giving. Now it is looking like the party is going to destroy itself from the inside with the proper loonies on another power grab
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    At the height of prices my house was 3x what I paid for it around 2000. I still have one huge regret. I bought in an area I wanted to live not where other people wanted to live. That means I missed out becoming mortgage free after 2 years of home ownership!

I'll explain, house prices tripled in my area over 4 or 5 years. In the neighbouring city these happened in 18 months to 2 years. One house I looked at for the same money as my house sold again after 2 years for enough money to clear my mortgage, buy a better house than mine on my very street and still have change for solicitor/estate agent fees and other moving expenses. It pays to live up north which was probably a decade plus behind the south in price rises. Where I live it happened about 4 years behind a city 40 minutes drive south.

Still can't complain.

Have always bought houses within a tolerable cycling distance of work or done jobs near to home.

Hate car commuting.

Funny part of town where peoples houses have lower meadows like yours :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    I must congratulate you Stevo as your £3 contribution keeps on giving. Now it is looking like the party is going to destroy itself from the inside with the proper loonies on another power grab
    Like I said, its the best £3 I ever spent. The thread was started as a bit a laugh but the response from some was priceless :)

As for New Old Labour, the loonies took over the asylum quite a while ago; all they're doing now is dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
  • Stevo_666
    As a registered supporter I get a few emails from Labour. Here's today's effort, which strangely omits the bid to oust Tom Watson.

And they're ready for a general election which they've just bottled out of :)

"It's that time again – join us this week for Annual Conference 2019!

Stevo, thousands of us have just hit Brighton for a week of inspiring speeches, radical policies, and powerful ideas. We're ready to lay out Labour's transformative agenda so we can hit the ground running for the coming General Election.

With the government on its knees, at this year's conference we're gearing up for a once-in-a-generation chance for real change for our country.

This could be the election to rival 1945. And we're ready.

Labour is already pushing the boundaries with policies to reverse austerity, redistribute wealth and power and seriously tackle the climate crisis. But at Conference, it's time to think even bigger! Get ready for more incredible policies and groundbreaking new plans to build a Britain where people matter more than privilege.

Here's what's coming up today...

Your Saturday highlights
    Conference starts at 2.30pm – don't miss it!
    At 3.30pm, join Dawn Butler for a BIG announcement
    Just joined Labour? At 5.30pm the New Members event promises to kick things off in style!
    Here at Conference, thousands of excited and enthusiastic Labour supporters have gathered together. If you're lucky enough to be in Brighton, we have an incredible programme of radical ideas, with hundreds of fringe events, speeches and opportunities to engage with others like you fighting for a better world. And if you're not, don't worry!

Join us and keep up with our party's transformational agenda taking shape, developed by the many for the many.
    Dive into the Annual Conference 2019 minisite
    Conference 2019 is Labour at its best. At its most vibrant. Labour debating, Labour organising – Labour drawing on the power of the many to put people before privilege.

And you've got a front row seat. Let's get started!

In solidarity,

Team Labour"
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Still can't complain.

Hate car commuting.

So what sort of house do you live in? I guess it must be on a housing estate?
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Still can't complain.

Hate car commuting.

So what sort of house do you live in? I guess it must be on a housing estate?
    Just a normal one in the London 'burbs/edge of Kent. Nice enough place, but only room for a small meadow even if I wanted one :)
  • Stevo_666
    According to Tom Watson, what happened today at the Labour party conference where there was an attempt to oust him is like what happens in Venezuela. You're not far wrong there, Tom :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49781152
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Labour should be killing the Tories in the polls after the last few years but those Momentum idiots seem intent on holding them back and making them unelectable. That said I can't stand Tom Watson, he actually made me feel sympathy for Rupert Murdoch with his showboating at the CMS phone hacking enquiry.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    Labour should be killing the Tories in the polls after the last few years but those Momentum idiots seem intent on holding them back and making them unelectable.
    Like I said, 3 quid very well spent :)
  • Stevo_666
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yes, good article:
    Both the Conservatives and Labour used to be proud to call themselves broad churches, capable of encompassing and speaking for many strands of opinion and they made that central to their appeal to the electorate. Now both are behaving like viciously intolerant sects.
  • Stevo_666
    bompington wrote:
    Yes, good article:
    Both the Conservatives and Labour used to be proud to call themselves broad churches, capable of encompassing and speaking for many strands of opinion and they made that central to their appeal to the electorate. Now both are behaving like viciously intolerant sects.
    Here's a good thread for you:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=13100964&start=600
  • Pross
    Why does Corbyn go for these TV publicity stunts surrounded by young kids? It always feels a bit creepy. Maybe they're the only ones that buy into his policies.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    Why does Corbyn go for these TV publicity stunts surrounded by young kids? It always feels a bit creepy. Maybe they're the only ones that buy into his policies.
    There are also a few naive middle aged Marxists and hard line union types who presumably believe his policies are any good.

Have a look at this shocker of an interview with Andrew Marr. No wonder the hard left are rumoured to be plotting for life after Corbyn.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-labour-conference-marr-brexit-tom-watson-a9115586.html
  • rjsterry
    To quote David Lammy, "I don't think that's going to work."
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    There are also a few naive middle aged Marxists and hard line union types who presumably believe his policies are any good.

Have a look at this shocker of an interview with Andrew Marr. No wonder the hard left are rumoured to be plotting for life after Corbyn.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-labour-conference-marr-brexit-tom-watson-a9115586.html
    That's a good piece. It's a sad reflection of the times we live in that parliamentary sketch writers have to do so little to straight reporting to make it into satire. One can only assume that Corbyn considers getting Labour into 3rd place in oinion polls, behind the Lib Dems, is a success, so he's going to pursue his policy of sham fence-sitting with continued vigour.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Wanting to abolish private schools is an unusual move.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:

It doesn't take much to magine a room full of Momentum fanboys chanting "Close those schools!"
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It doesn't take much to magine a room full of Momentum fanboys chanting "Close those schools!"

It does feel a bit like the cultural revolution.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Though to be fair you could easily imagine the same chant happening at the Tory conference - only referring to State schools!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Though to be fair you could easily imagine the same chant happening at the Tory conference - only referring to State schools!

Indifference is not the same as hatred. The other day they were suggesting that Eton (the school not the town ) be abolished. It's straight out of Trump's strategies: pick something your base support doesn't like and suggest banning it. Where it sits in the nation's list of priorities is beside the point.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    TheBigBean wrote:

I wonder if they will get Abbott or the bought and paid for Chakrabarti to announce it? That should be a giggle.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Ballysmate wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I wonder if they will get Abbott or the bought and paid for Chakrabarti to announce it? That should be a giggle.

Surely they of all people understand the inherent unfairness of private schools better than most, since they seem to think it's *so* unfair that they're willing to pay for the difference between state and private?

It's almost like they have realised there is indeed an inequality in education, but just have the means to maximise the opportunities for their own, which they realise they are lucky to have.

If you believe kids should all be given the same opportunity, then the private school system isn't really fair is it? Just because you want to reduce that inequality, doesn't mean you should put your kids on the wrong side of that, surely?

Anyway, this debate aside, it's bizarre timing.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Indifference is not the same as hatred. The other day they were suggesting that Eton (the school not the town ) be abolished. It's straight out of Trump's strategies: pick something your base support doesn't like and suggest banning it. Where it sits in the nation's list of priorities is beside the point.

Whilst Labour focus on the big issue of closing private schools and asset stripping charities to then hand these to presumably academies which should be worth a few million to the sponsors of these particular projects I can't see many Tory members chanting for the abolition of state schools as this would definitely degrade current private school conditions.
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:

With all that's going on in politics that being about the only policy that has been agreed shows just how badly the Party is being run.

I also think the push towards a cancel Brexit stance might be playing into the hands of the Tories as that part of their base that voted leave are likely to get disgruntled and vote for Farage.