Have you ever taken part in an opinion poll?

Longshot
Longshot Posts: 940
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
It surprises me, given how many opinion polls are published, that I don't know a single person who has (or will admit to having) taken part in an opinion poll. Not one.

What about you? Anyone here been asked for their opinion for a poll? How often? Any idea why or was it random?
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    You missed a trick, you could have put a poll in the first post...

I get them occasionally when shopping thats about it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Hands up if you hate audience participation....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Longshot wrote:
    It surprises me, given how many opinion polls are published, that I don't know a single person who has (or will admit to having) taken part in an opinion poll. Not one.

What about you? Anyone here been asked for their opinion for a poll? How often? Any idea why or was it random?

Me neither, but sample size for the You've voting intentions survey is about 1600. Out of 45million voters. That's about 1 in 28,200.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    We occasionally get phone calls from people claiming to be MORI or similar. No way of knowing if genuine, but the one time I was bored enough to say yes I was on the phone for half an hour so I now just say no.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Yes
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    They always refuse to pay my fee. So, no.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I wonder if they take account that the type of people who by their nature are prepared to respond may not be a representative sample of the populace? The results published on some adverts show ridiculously low sample sizes for internationally available products e.g. 85% of the 59 people surveyed agreed our shampoo made their hair shinier.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Pross wrote:
    I wonder if they take account that the type of people who by their nature are prepared to respond may not be a representative sample of the populace? The results published on some adverts show ridiculously low sample sizes for internationally available products e.g. 85% of the 59 people surveyed agreed our shampoo made their hair shinier.
    There's surveys and surveys. Someone like YouGov will definitely allow for that. A bit of marketing nonsense research will be the sort of thing run up by an intern on Surveymonkey.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I've responded to a few Yougov emails if I have time. I assume they weed out responses which don't fit the catchment criteria overall
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hang on, is this some kind of opinion poll? I feel duped!
  • Did some government poll at Dover in the summer.