Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    keef66 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pro cyclists saying "full gas"

Annoys me too, but I get the feeling we're stuck with it because the Euro riders think it's an English term

Better than the Dutch Vollebak which translates literally to full-house or full bin/basket.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Perhaps we could insist on using only BALLS-OUT to indicate a 100% effort. It might catch on?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    keef66 wrote:
    Perhaps we could insist on using only BALLS-OUT to indicate a 100% effort. It might catch on?
    or giving it the full beans?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    To be fair, I find giving it [insert number larger than 100]% even more irritating, so perhaps I should be pleased with the move towards full gas.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    TheBigBean wrote:
    To be fair, I find giving it [insert number larger than 100]% even more irritating, so perhaps I should be pleased with the move towards full gas.
    Moving to a combination of nuclear, wind, solar and hydro.

Oh, wait. Wrong thread.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean wrote:

You are assuming that the value it is comparing with is maximum effort. It is not necessarily. You can understand giving more than 100% FTP, if that was the starting value for comparison.

What "I'm going to give it 150%" could mean is "normally, I work at about 50% of my maximum potential, but today, I'm going to try a bit, Brian".
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It's probably been done before, but toilet rolls put on the holder incorrectly. It should be with the paper going over the top. Clearly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Who decided on the nominal size of a sheet of toilet paper?
    Is one sheet fit for purpose?
  • How do they figure toilet paper is strong enough? They need a new test!

It works for them double the usage.
  • keef66
    elbowloh wrote:
    It's probably been done before, but toilet rolls put on the holder incorrectly. It should be with the paper going over the top. Clearly.

Either way round the paper goes over the top. It's whether it then slinks down the wall as if it's trying to avoid capture, or instead presents itself to the user invitingly. The latter is clearly correct.
  • keef66
    Ballysmate wrote:

Old WWII army tale, possibly apocryphal: standard issue one sheet, stick finger through it, scrape sphincter clean with finger, clean finger with toilet paper as it's withdrawn.
  • That's something I heard on a TV show where mixed group of people crossed central america in an expedition. An ex British soldier said it but with the centre torn out first and then used for tie fingernail cleaning job. Funnily enough I doubt he had ever been in the army because he struck me as one of the most useless people on that TV show.
  • keef66
    I suspect like most professions, being useless and being in the army aren't mutually exclusive...
  • Oh beyond that level of useless. Just out but struggled badly with fitness. Couldn't do basics of campcraft, etc.
  • keef66
    In that case sounds a bit suspicious...
  • ballysmate
    keef66 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Old WWII army tale, possibly apocryphal: standard issue one sheet, stick finger through it, scrape sphincter clean with finger, clean finger with toilet paper as it's withdrawn.

Would also help people to stop biting their nails.
  • Well, if they only had one finger it would.
  • ballysmate
    And stop them picking their nose.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Ballysmate wrote:

I've never understood this. Has anyone ever used a single sheet (other than when you suddenly realise you've run out)? Why not make each sheet a usable size instead of people needing to use multiple sheets?
  • That one sheet using the finger probably started when army switched from izol to soft toilet paper. Sgt major stuck his finger through and realised he could save money for bullets by cutting back on paper. Afterall it was probably the times when they used to walk the shooting range to collect the brass to save pennies through recycling. :wink:
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pross wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I've never understood this. Has anyone ever used a single sheet (other than when you suddenly realise you've run out)? Why not make each sheet a usable size instead of people needing to use multiple sheets?

People in the past must have had smaller bums
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Brazil nuts in a bag mixed nuts and not enough raisins to sweeten the quantity of nuts.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I agree with the toilet paper chat, although all most people do is fold it over and double the ply. If I was going to make a paper which was up to the job I'd probably just double the ply anyway. I'd pay for softness over thickness, otherwise I'd be using kitchen roll by now...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

Not having the slighest clue which local bike shop is any good.

Walking a fair way to a bike shop to find out there is nothing wrong with the threads, just my technique. Apparently, I need to turn it the wrong way to start with - is that common knowledge? Certainly not something I did with any previous BB.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

Walking a fair way to a bike shop to find out there is nothing wrong with the threads, just my technique. Apparently, I need to turn it the wrong way to start with - is that common knowledge? Certainly not something I did with any previous BB.

It's not bottom bracket specific; any relatively large diameter, fine thread will crossthread more easily than smaller diameter, coarser threads.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's not bottom bracket specific; any relatively large diameter, fine thread will crossthread more easily than smaller diameter, coarser threads.

Why does turning it the wrong way help? I understand the crossthreading risk.
  • Cowsham wrote:
    Brazil nuts in a bag mixed nuts and not enough raisins to sweeten the quantity of nuts.

Related - Cadbury's Fruit and Nut is way too heavy on the fruit and too light on the nuts these days.
  • keef66
    Almost anything threaded I start off by turning it the wrong way till I feel the first thread click in. Large dia fine threads especially. Cassette lockrings are another good example.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

You are assuming that the value it is comparing with is maximum effort. It is not necessarily. You can understand giving more than 100% FTP, if that was the starting value for comparison.

What "I'm going to give it 150%" could mean is "normally, I work at about 50% of my maximum potential, but today, I'm going to try a bit, Brian".

Thanks. I'll go with that and be less annoyed by it. Can you find an excuse for everyone talking about full gas all the time?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Once I find a new cliche I always want to pick it up and run with it. AT full gas of course.