Upper Derailleur Pulley

ruko
ruko Posts: 12
edited October 2019 in Workshop
I have an 11 speed medium cage derailleur, 11 speed 11 to 32 cassette, 11 speed shifter, etc. I have 3 chain rings. I can not keep the proper distance between the upper derailleur pulley and the cassette gears when shifting between the middle ring and the small ring. The small ring is 33 and middle is 39. When I adjust for the proper clearance in the middle ring and shift to the small ring the upper derailleur pulley rubs on the cassette gears. I'm wondering if I need a long cage derailleur? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
ruko

Comments

• Inclined to think that you need to set the "B"screw correctly. Shift to inner chainring and largest rear sprocket and set the "B" screw now.
  • 11-32 on triple is lot of teeth to take up. About 43 all in by the looks of it, try a long cage rd. What does the manual say for yours?
    Tiagra, ultegra etc are 37teeth capacity as a medium cage.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Follow Mankies advice to start with to set the B screw adjustment correctly. If it doesn’t work after that then you are probably asking too much from the derailleur as noted by The DHL.

PP
  • ruko
    Thanks, going to try a long cage derailleur.
    ruko
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    11-32 on triple is lot of teeth to take up. About 43 all in by the looks of it, try a long cage rd. What does the manual say for yours?
    Tiagra, ultegra etc are 37teeth capacity as a medium cage.

Shimano road RDs come in short and medium cage.

I run an 11-32 cassette with a 50/39/30 triple chainset and a medium cage 5701 RD
  • keef66
    Just out of curiosity, how come you have an 11 speed triple set up? Do you have mis-matched R and L shifters?
  • ruko
    keef66

Quote: "Just out of curiosity, how come you have an 11 speed triple set up? Do you have mis-matched R and L shifters?"

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you clarify it please? What does an 11 speed cassette and a triple chain ring have to do with mis-matched R and L shifters? Just curious. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks
    ruko
  • I didnt even know there was an 11 speed triple option.

Like a fusion of old and new.
  • keef66
    ruko wrote:
    keef66

Quote: "Just out of curiosity, how come you have an 11 speed triple set up? Do you have mis-matched R and L shifters?"

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you clarify it please? What does an 11 speed cassette and a triple chain ring have to do with mis-matched R and L shifters? Just curious. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks

In the Shimano world, none of the 11 speed groupsets have a triple option. You say you have 11 speed cassette, RD and shifters, so how are you shifting between the 3 chainrings? What front derailleur do you have and what kind of left hand shifter?
  • ruko
    I don't reside in Shimano world. I'm mostly in SRAM world at this point and I don't buy groupsets. I mix and match because I don't like companys telling me what's best for me. In my right hand is my 11 speed SRAM XO twist grip shifter. In the other hand is my 3 speed SRAM XO FD twist grip shifter. On the other end is my 11 speed SRAM cassette and a SRAM XO 11 speed RD. Connecting every thing is an 11 speed chain though not SRAM. The front FD is a Shimano Ultegra. This is what I'm saying.
    ruko
  • keef66
    Interesting....

Is this on a drop bar road bike, are we talking flat bars, or something more unusual?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    They still make Gripshifts? That would have to be flat bar 'cos no-one is going to fit those to the ends of drops these days, not since late 80s.
  • This sounds like a manc33 frankenbike...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The X0 front shifter shouldn't work with the Ultegra mech, MTB and road pull ratios are different, would work with an MTB front mech.

SRAM XO only goes to 10 speed, or do you mean X01?

X01 rear mechs are only designed for 1x operation so almost certainly don't have the capacity for what you want.

Kind of why manufacturers offer groupsets!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ruko
    The Rookie
    "The X0 front shifter shouldn't work" But it does.
    Should I send you a video of the grip shifter that has XO in typical SRAM large letters along with sound so you can hear and see the 11 clicks?
    Don't have the capacity? Gee, its working just fine with a long cage 11 speed derailleur.
    Kinda why manufacturers offer group sets is because it's less costly for them.
    Experts!
    ruko
  • ruko
    Messerschmitt Me-109

"They still make Gripshifts? That would have to be flat bar 'cos no-one is going to fit those to the ends of drops these days, not since late 80s."

Ya, they do. Check the net. Lots of posts on grip shifts. As far as drops are concerned, After 40 years I ride in comfort now not hunched over, riding on my testicles and straining my neck to see where I'm going. After 100 miles I don't hurt anywhere. God its just great!!

Done here. Sick of being called a liar by these "experts".
    ruko
  • ruko wrote:
    Messerschmitt Me-109

"They still make Gripshifts? That would have to be flat bar 'cos no-one is going to fit those to the ends of drops these days, not since late 80s."

Ya, they do. Check the net. Lots of posts on grip shifts. As far as drops are concerned, After 40 years I ride in comfort now not hunched over, riding on my testicles and straining my neck to see where I'm going. After 100 miles I don't hurt anywhere. God its just great!!

If you read your first again you will see a lot of missing info that others were trying guess at. Throwing a hissy fit, name calling and attributing insults to others doesn't really get people wanting to help you. Only in the final post to say you have a flat bar bike rather than a road bike. You're posting in a UK road bike forum after all! Ps, grow some manners and some self respect.
  • keef66
    I was thinking the same. If you're posting in Road / Workshop, most people will assume it's a drop bar bike, and that it has a Shimano, SRAM or Campag groupset. Only as the thread went on did the true nature of the OP's setup emerge.

Had he said at the outset it was a flat bar bike with a mixture of kit and grip shifters I'd not have bothered since I've no experience with that kind of Heath-Robinson system....
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited October 2019
    ruko wrote:
    Messerschmitt Me-109

You’ve got a frankenbike. Your gears don’t work (you said it in your original post) and then you get all defensive when people try to offer opinions.

As for claiming that a flat bar bike means you don’t ‘ride on your testicles and strain your neck to see where you are going’, well, that just tells me that in forty years of riding you never learnt how to set yourself up properly on a road bike with drop bars. I ride every week with guys who have been riding 20+ years longer than you and they still ride drop bar bikes comfortably. Don’t believe your own hype, or should that be tripe? :roll:

PP
  • Hahah nicely put Pete.