Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Clarkson does have a way of making any item of clothing look bad. It depends how much of a slob you look like trying to pull it off.

I have now thrown away all my jeans except one pair for gardening

Socks should match trousers, or it makes your legs look short and / or that you're wearing boots.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I only wear a full suit when going to an AGM, if it's an IC meeting then I either wear a suit with no tie, or some variation of chinos and a jacket. The top guys don't wear ties either and they have previously been CEO/other top positions of various investment banks and investment management business' so I'm not too worried. I'd like the option to wear a tie sometimes but no one else in the office does and I'm not a fashion trailblazer...

Normal day to day I wear a lot of jeans or chinos and smart shirts in the office though
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Bigger question is what tie knots are you all doing and how big you're making them.
  • haydenm
    I make mine massive and really short like all the cool girls at school did...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bigger question is what tie knots are you all doing and how big you're making them.

Now we are talking!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Something slightly asymmetric and not too big.
  • Four in hand.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Step83 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Oh, stop! :lol:

1930s-50s things; cheap worn silver plate but nice! And semi functional when you don't keep having to straighten them but there you go! It makes me feel deeply and justly superior to the non-tie wearers.

Speaking of monocles (in another thread) - apparently they are in now. Latest hipster thing. That intrigues me. Hope not Mogg inspired.

Have you considered a pipe? Not for smoking,but perfect for gesticulating.

Pipes are great for that.

At school DT was ties off or tucked into the shirt, sleeves up and girls hair tied back, band saw, pillar drills, lathes, sanders and welding gear so makes sense.
    Same with Science fire, explosives etc not what you want near a cheap Nylon tie.
    What you've described is whenever a PM or Minister visits an NHS hospital.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Neat Windsor with the length to finish on the belt when standing.
    That said I rarely wear a tie these days. Used to be 100% at work.
    Standards are slipping. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    I'm too skinny for a full windsor - I look like a footballer if i do - so I go a very tight half.
  • pblakeney
    I'm too skinny for a full windsor - I look like a footballer if i do - so I go a very tight half.
    Should have clarified, a tight standard Windsor for me.
    None of that overblown double Windsor footballist stylee for me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    On a more serious note - Who supplies military drones?
    I doubt Iran do so is America getting cross at itself or is the UK being discreetly quiet?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    I doubt Iran do so is America getting cross at itself or is the UK being discreetly quiet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49718828

Iran does - and China, Israel, Turkey
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

Well, there you go! The rest makes sense but Iran surprises me.
    Could get messy.... :(
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Rolf F wrote:

Now we are talking!
    I would like to wear a tie more often but after 45 years of rock climbing, numerous falls off my bike and shoulder surgery. I can only just reach the back of my collar with one hand, so although I can knot my tie I can’t get my collar back down without assistance.
    Does anyone else struggle with this.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Are chino's back in vogue?

How did this thread jump 3 pages in 24 hrs?!

@Cowsham: I'm in Purgatory now. So there :P
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • My Dad has a metal watering can with a swastika on the bottom, he got it from his father in law who spent the war in Blackpool working as a civil servant.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Do Simon Cowell and David Coverdale have the same dentist?
    By God, their teeth are bright.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

Depends on the length and width of the tie and type of collar. I prefer a fairly tight full Windsor but having a long torso it can sometimes leave the tie too short.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Dad has a metal watering can with a swastika on the bottom, he got it from his father in law who spent the war in Blackpool working as a civil servant.

That is intriguing. Presumably embossed / stamped on rather than painted? Fanatical attention to detail that the nazi war machine thought to personalise its watering cans.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I believe they've got a very strong arms and aerospace industry (I recall reading a book that mentioned a huge arms fair they have there).
  • haydenm
    Pross wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I believe they've got a very strong arms and aerospace industry (I recall reading a book that mentioned a huge arms fair they have there).

I've got huge arms, maybe I should go.
  • elbowloh
    When did ""blacking up" become "blackface"?

Is it an Americanism?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • blackface is a european term.

They do it in holland all the time as their santa claus is black. But now it's racist.
  • elbowloh
    blackface is a european term.

They do it in holland all the time as their santa claus is black. But now it's racist.
    But in England the term, when i was growing up anyway, was "blacking up". Now its universally called "blackface" it seems.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Does anybody still wear a girdle?
  • pblakeney
    Does anybody still wear a girdle?
    Not from what I've seen in the High Street.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • My Dad has a metal watering can with a swastika on the bottom, he got it from his father in law who spent the war in Blackpool working as a civil servant.

If you can..,find out if it faces to the left or the right,i'm guessing it will be to the left but you never know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    My Dad has a metal watering can with a swastika on the bottom, he got it from his father in law who spent the war in Blackpool working as a civil servant.

If you can..,find out if it faces to the left or the right,i'm guessing it will be to the left but you never know.

Could it have been made in India? The Swastika is very similar to the Diwali symbol.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:

I've a friend whose husband is an Arabian arms dealer. How many do you need?