Slime - Puncture - what now?

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm new and tried to look up on Slime's website but couldn't find an answer....

I have slime on both wheels [29ers]

The front got a puncture today... I rode on a bit as I hoped it would stop it going all the way down... I then gave up and walked home [as I had no pump]

What should I do?

a) is it worth pumping that tyre up [now hours later] and seeing if it will auto fix?

b] do I need to buy a new inner-tube - and I guess it will be 'messy' so I should probably ask if the shop will fix the tyre

I guess if it's b] ... I could just take the wheel in [?]

I have more slime [as I bought a load - but didn't realise when I bought the bike - they were going to slime it for me... miscommiunication]... so should I take the slime I have with me, so they can reslime

Had the bike just over a year

I do around 1 ride a week [about 35 miles]... mostly off road but all simple flat paths

Thanks for any help/advice/abuse

x

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Inspect the tyre to make sure there isn't anything obvious still in it that caused the puncture and then try option a.

If that doesn't work then fix the puncture with a patch. Try and do it yourself. It's a simple task but one that is worth learning so next time you can fix a puncture while you are still out on a ride.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • As I understand it you have Slime inner tubes, ie ones made by Slime and they have Slime in them. OR your bike shop put Slime sealant in the inner tubes that were already in the tyres.

Either way, the front inner tube has Slime sealant in it and the tyre has gone down. Slime sealant will normally seal an inner tube without any problem, so the sharp object must still be in the tyre and continuing to puncture the tyre. OR the inner tube is torn too badly for the sealant to fix it. In which case the Slime will be all over the inside of the tube.

I have tried to patch inner tubes that have had Slime in them and it is not straight forward. You have to clean all the old Slime off with iso-propyly-alcohol (IPA). Meths might work. If you don't get it all off the patch will not stick to the inner tube.

If the tube is badly damaged then throw it away and fit a new one, they are cheap enough. Before you fit the new one though inspect the inside of the tyre for anything sharp that might just puncture the tube all over again! You might have to hose out the sealant first, but drag something flimsy like a new dry dishcloth or the sleeve of an old jumper around inside the tyre. It should snag on the sharp item. Using the fabric instead of your fingers means that you don't slice your fingers.

Your bill from the bike shop will be smaller if you just take the wheel to them and have already checked that the Slime is not all over the inside of the tyre. If it is, clean it out first! And do the sharp object test. Better still if you can do all tat, just buy a Slime tube and fit it yourself. If you can't change an inner tube, then you must learn! Buy some tyre levers, they are as cheap as chips.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could you see the green slime sealant coming out? You should have (it's obvious), if not it's either
    1/ Gone dry (how old was it?).
    2/ Was never filled
    3/ Wasn't actually a slime tube.

Whatever you ride, always carry a spare tube and pump!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Maybe it's because I am of a different generation ( 73 ) but I find it hard to understand how anyone can go out biking without the basics of a puncture outfit, spare tube and pump and the skills to use them!!
    Even when using tubeless, it just seems that people are loosing the ability to do the most basic things in life.
  • gomezz wrote:
    Maybe it's because I am of a different generation ( 73 ) but I find it hard to understand how anyone can go out biking without the basics of a puncture outfit, spare tube and pump and the skills to use them!!
    Even when using tubeless, it just seems that people are loosing the ability to do the most basic things in life.

Agreed! :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    gomezz wrote:
    Maybe it's because I am of a different generation ( 73 ) but I find it hard to understand how anyone can go out biking without the basics of a puncture outfit.
    You don't have to be that old to have difficulty understanding.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Conversation with my Dad in 1955, me at the tender age of 4.

"Dad I've got a puncture in my tyre", Dad "well fix it then".
    So off I went in the shed to find the screwdrivers to lever off the tyre, that's how I'd seen it done by everyone else.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • It's just a sign of the times, how many car drivers check the oil and other under bonnet things or just wait for the light to come on !! I know my daughter did :? and she was taught to check levels and change a wheel when she started driving.
    But aint that what dads are for. :lol: