Power readings on indoor bikes

Longshot
Longshot Posts: 940
I use the static bikes in the gym at lunchtime a couple of times a week and am confused by the power readings from them. I don't use a power meter on the road so can't compare to that.

There are two types of bike available - one is a Matrix 'exercise bike' which I use the preset programs for intervals, etc. The other is a Stages spin bike with a power meter on the crank.

I get vastly different power output readings from the two bikes at what I feel is a similar effort level. The spin bike shows about 20-25% higher power output than the exercise bike.

I appreciate there's a variance between meters but this seems a lot and wondered which is likely to be more accurate? Or, am I missing something obvious?
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Chances are the exercise bike won't have a power meter and will be estimating.

If the stages bike has one that's the reading to take.
  • redvision wrote:
    Chances are the exercise bike won't have a power meter and will be estimating.

If the stages bike has one that's the reading to take.

Thanks. Good to know especially as the Stages one is the higher reading!! :lol:
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    always go with the higher reading :D
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes