BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    In the meantime, looks like the Luxembourg stunt pulled by their PM is backfiring a tad. How difficult would it have been to move the press conference indoors? :roll:

Even Sir Nicholas Soames is saying that it was bad form:
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/boris-ambushed-luxembourg-pm-empty-podium-trick-10755306/

And a close ally of Merkel has tweeted that it did not help the EU cause.

I think Bettel has earned himself a Eurotw@t award.

It ought to be noted that the lot making the racket outside were indeed Brits living in Lux, who, perhaps not unfairly, are not enormous fans of the No Deal approach BoJo has said he's taking.
    I don't care who the protesters were. Bettel should have showed the sort of common courtesy that should be extended to any visiting PM/head of state instead of pulling that stunt.

Luxembourg were demonstrating the country version of the Napoleon complex.

It has backfired on them and clearly been shown up for what it was!

It also highlights the faults of the EU regarding the minor nations.

It's also rather apt that you are responding to BikeRadar's own example of the napoleon complex
    Time perhaps to put Luxembourg into perspective with another re-post of my handy graphic of the EU.

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Luxembourg is the small dot just to the right of Germany and above Italy in case anyone is having problems seeing it. I also recall reading somewhere that the UK economy is larger than the smallest 18 EU members combined if that helps as well.
    Rather goes to show the success of the EU then, doesn't it? You know, combining together as a large trading bloc, and sharing the benefits... it's almost as if working together for the common good is better than continually fighting each other.
    Not only that, being g a member might make it easier to gain favourable trade agreements across the globe. Perhaps after we brexit the uk should join such a group of nations with similar social values.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    In the meantime, looks like the Luxembourg stunt pulled by their PM is backfiring a tad. How difficult would it have been to move the press conference indoors? :roll:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/boris-ambushed-luxembourg-pm-empty-podium-trick-10755306/

It ought to be noted that the lot making the racket outside were indeed Brits living in Lux, who, perhaps not unfairly, are not enormous fans of the No Deal approach BoJo has said he's taking.
    I don't care who the protesters were. Bettel should have showed the sort of common courtesy that should be extended to any visiting PM/head of state instead of pulling that stunt.

It's also rather apt that you are responding to BikeRadar's own example of the napoleon complex
    Time perhaps to put Luxembourg into perspective with another re-post of my handy graphic of the EU.

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Luxembourg is the small dot just to the right of Germany and above Italy in case anyone is having problems seeing it. I also recall reading somewhere that the UK economy is larger than the smallest 18 EU members combined if that helps as well.

Let's put that Luxembourg 'Napoleon' dot into perspective. The UK economy, ignoring rounding, is adding the size of Luxembourg economy every year. There whole Luxembourg economy is only equivalent to 365 days growth in the UK economy :lol:

I see the Luxembourg PM is in serious backpeddling mode in an interview with BBC news this evening

Your maths is worse than your comprehension.

Check out GDP per capita
  • EErtJ9kXsAoHvKF?format=png&name=900x900
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • It turns out bojo main strategy was to box himself in. There no evil mastermind behind this. The leadership truly have no idea what they are doing.

I'm not sure the lib dems have much of clue either. Who else thinks there latest policy is going back fire. I think However he will win the next GE so all that an extension will do it put back the current imminent doom till the end of January. And Christmas run up is spoiled by a GE perhaps or not as opposition will no doubt say again no deal must be off the table before a GE takes place. Will this ever end. Even kunesberg must be getting weary of it now.

Johnson never did want it to go this far. Remember after the referendum how quiet he was. Serves him right for wanting the job so much.

You are correct. Can you please become the prime minister or monarch.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited September 2019
    Credit were it's due, this is the perfect response
    Boris Johnson
    @BorisJohnson
    I’ve been PM for 57 days, part of my job is to talk to people on the ground and listen to what they tell me about the big problems. It doesn’t matter if they agree with me.

I’m glad this gentleman told me his problems. This isn’t an embarrassment this is part of my job.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Quite the self own there Steve
    What does that mean?

It means that when you're posting about how small and insignificant Luxembourg is compared to the UK, all you are doing is highlighting just how far the UK's standing in the world has fallen that they are getting humiliated by countries as small and insignificant as Luxembourg
    No, I'm highlighting that the PM of Luxembourg is a bit of a tw@t who engaged in some ill-advised grandstanding. That is also Nicholas Soames' view if you read the link above and has also been slammed by a close ally of Merkel.

Bettel is now backpedalling, as probably 'advised' by the EU:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-49748332/luxembourg-pm-on-news-conference-i-did-not-want-to-humiliate-johnson

It has also handed Boris some additional support for his cause in the eyes of many in the UK.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited September 2019
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What does that mean?

It means that when you're posting about how small and insignificant Luxembourg is compared to the UK, all you are doing is highlighting just how far the UK's standing in the world has fallen that they are getting humiliated by countries as small and insignificant as Luxembourg
    No, I'm highlighting that the PM of Luxembourg is a bit of a tw@t who engaged in some ill-advised grandstanding. That is also Nicholas Soames' view if you read the link above and has also been slammed by a close ally of Merkel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-49748332/luxembourg-pm-on-news-conference-i-did-not-want-to-humiliate-johnson

It has also handed Boris some additional support for his cause in the eyes of many in the UK.

You're doing a bit of backpedalling yourself there.

That article just repeats exactly what the Luxembourgers were saying on the day of the press conference.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Rather goes to show the success of the EU then, doesn't it? You know, combining together as a large trading bloc, and sharing the benefits... it's almost as if working together for the common good is better than continually fighting each other.
    Wow, we didnt know that Brian.

Now back in the real world where we are actually leaving the EU, let's get back to ignoring the jumped up PMs of small European countries who are rude, undiplomatic and show the EU in a bad light.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What does that mean?

You're doing a bit of backpedalling yourself there.
    Err, no I'm not.

Do you think that Bettels actions were appropriate for an EU head of state?
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't think they were inappropriate.

Then I remember Margaret Thatcher doing a walk about and answering press questions on Royal Avenue, Belfast at the high of the Troubles not running from a group of British ex pats.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

Then I remember Margaret Thatcher doing a walk about and answering press questions on Royal Avenue, Belfast at the high of the Troubles not running from a group of British ex pats.
    Perhaps BJ cant cope with the distractions due to ADHD or something.
  • Some people seem to get very angry at how the PM is treated before demanding he goes
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Not only that, being g a member might make it easier to gain favourable trade agreements across the globe. Perhaps after we brexit the uk should join such a group of nations with similar social values.

I reckon there could be some benefits regarding national security too - and, after Brexit, being part of a bigger group would mean that it would be harder for other countries to push us around too.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If I were an EU bigwig I would be squirming with embarrassment. It may also have other adverse effects:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/luxembourg-pms-treatment-of-johnson-may-harm-brexit-talks
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

I reckon there could be some benefits regarding national security too - and, after Brexit, being part of a bigger group would mean that it would be harder for other countries to push us around too.
    I didn't realise we were leaving NATO as well :)
  • In other small country news, Finland says Boris needs his homework done for 30th Sept
  • Stevo_666
    In other small country news, Finland says Boris needs his homework done for 30th Sept
    I'm sure many in the UK will be saying that Finland can FRO, along with Luxembourg.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If I were an EU bigwig I would be squirming with embarrassment. It may also have other adverse effects:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/luxembourg-pms-treatment-of-johnson-may-harm-brexit-talks

If the EU were that bothered they wouldn't have spent today briefing that Johnson is thick

We've all been here before.
    Tusk & the special place in hell
    Tusk & the cherry cake
    Juncker in Strasboug

It's all overblown nonsense.

The UK media like to shit the bed about these things and some people like to get very angry at how the PM is treated before demanding he/she goes
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Stevo, I'm pretty sure some on here think the earth will start to spin westwards the moment we leave the EU.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If the EU were that bothered they wouldn't have spent today briefing that Johnson is thick

Tusk & the cherry cake
    Juncker in Strasboug

The UK media like to shoot the bed about these things and some people like to get very angry at how the PM is treated before demanding he/she goes
    EU actions like this will provide additional justification to many in the UK that we are right to leave. Not a wise course of action if there is to be a GE or second referendum.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Boris Johnson
    @BorisJohnson
    I’ve been PM for 57 days, part of my job is to talk to people on the ground and listen to what they tell me about the big problems. It doesn’t matter if they agree with me.

I’m glad this gentleman told me his problems. This isn’t an embarrassment this is part of my job.

The embarrassing bit is him lying about saying there is no press, as he’s being filmed by the press.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Stevo, I'm pretty sure some on here think the earth will start to spin westwards the moment we leave the EU.
    Don't be ridiculous Bally, how will the Earth do that after it has fallen off its axis in the early hours of 1st November?
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    EU actions like this will provide additional justification to many in the UK that we are right to leave. Not a wise course of action if there is to be a GE or second referendum.

I don't believe the EU (with the exception of Ireland) have any interest in persuading the UK to change their minds.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

You see, this is where ideology does not provide any protection from reality. Leaving aside the obvious risk of a return of the Troubles and the impact that would have on security in the UK there is plenty of other information available to those who really want to know - https://www.bcu.ac.uk/centre-for-brexit ... l-security and https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpoli ... ce-brexit/ and https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman ... 9cd8b1a1f7 and https://globalriskinsights.com/2019/02/ ... -security/ and https://www.ft.com/content/ad58df38-f49 ... 3765795f99
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited September 2019
    Boris Johnson
    @BorisJohnson

Small point of order. Of those 57 days the for first few weeks the parliament was in recession. Now it is in prorogation. Now take away weekends. How many days has he actually been officially in charge of parliament?
    In power July 24th, Recess 25th July - 3rd September, prorogation started 10th September.
    By my calculations, 6 days to date. Feel free to correct.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't believe the EU (with the exception of Ireland) have any interest in persuading the UK to change their minds.

Neither do I. I also believe that Brexit will cost Ireland billions.
    That's why I can't understand MPs who want to avoid a no deal, voted down TM's deal 3 times. The EU continually stated that that deal was the best on offer. Did they not believe them?
  • If the Lib Dems believe a majority for them in an upcoming election is a mandate for revocation then they must accept that a Tory majority is a mandate for no deal.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tusk & the cherry cake
    Juncker in Strasboug

The UK media like to shoot the bed about these things and some people like to get very angry at how the PM is treated before demanding he/she goes
    Re: harming the brexit talks - does anyone really think that BJ is interested in a deal anyway (or that a resolution to the Irish border situation is likely to be found before 31st October)? How can you harm something that is already dead. I think that there would probably be more sympathy for BJ if he was not the type of person who throws around childish insults like chicken big girl's blouse etc to prove how manly he is. Running away from some rowdy protesters is exactly the type of behaviour he woudl be attacking if it had been anyone but him.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You see, this is where ideology does not provide any protection from reality. Leaving aside the obvious risk of a return of the Troubles and the impact that would have on security in the UK there is plenty of other information available to those who really want to know - https://www.bcu.ac.uk/centre-for-brexit ... l-security and https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpoli ... ce-brexit/ and https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman ... 9cd8b1a1f7 and https://globalriskinsights.com/2019/02/ ... -security/ and https://www.ft.com/content/ad58df38-f49 ... 3765795f99
    Not sure what your ideology is but the reality is that we remain a member of NATO. Along with a lot of EU nations who presumably see the same benefits (which are to a large degree US funded).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Tusk & the cherry cake
    Juncker in Strasboug

Re: harming the brexit talks - does anyone really think that BJ is interested in a deal anyway (or that a resolution to the Irish border situation is likely to be found before 31st October)? How can you harm something that is already dead. I think that there would probably be more sympathy for BJ if he was not the type of person who throws around childish insults like chicken big girl's blouse etc to prove how manly he is. Running away from some rowdy protesters is exactly the type of behaviour he woudl be attacking if it had been anyone but him.
    It was in the Guardian so it must be true.

And it will harden public opinion in the UK as mentioned.