BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... leaving-uk
    Poland’s ambassador to the UK has written to 800,000 Poles advising them to “seriously consider” returning home and expressed concern about the application process for getting settled status in the UK after Brexit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    In the meantime, looks like the Luxembourg stunt pulled by their PM is backfiring a tad. How difficult would it have been to move the press conference indoors? :roll:

Even Sir Nicholas Soames is saying that it was bad form:
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/boris-ambushed-luxembourg-pm-empty-podium-trick-10755306/

And a close ally of Merkel has tweeted that it did not help the EU cause.

I think Bettel has earned himself a Eurotw@t award.

It ought to be noted that the lot making the racket outside were indeed Brits living in Lux, who, perhaps not unfairly, are not enormous fans of the No Deal approach BoJo has said he's taking.

Do you think the UK would hold a press conference next to people protesting against a visitor? Even if the protesters were nationals of the visitor's country. This situation (not the poorly placed pressed conference) happens a lot e.g. whenever the US president visits, or the Chinese president.

No, nor have I said that. As per what I said before, what's of note is that Lux even thought about doing it, with the UK. That respect the UK had clearly isn't quite there atm.

There are plenty of international relations which are frosty and do not contain much respect, and yet do not involve childish antics with visitors. If this didn't fall as part of the Remain/Leave debate, the view of the incident would not be so divided.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    In the meantime, looks like the Luxembourg stunt pulled by their PM is backfiring a tad. How difficult would it have been to move the press conference indoors? :roll:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/boris-ambushed-luxembourg-pm-empty-podium-trick-10755306/

It ought to be noted that the lot making the racket outside were indeed Brits living in Lux, who, perhaps not unfairly, are not enormous fans of the No Deal approach BoJo has said he's taking.

Do you think the UK would hold a press conference next to people protesting against a visitor? Even if the protesters were nationals of the visitor's country. This situation (not the poorly placed pressed conference) happens a lot e.g. whenever the US president visits, or the Chinese president.

It was Johnson's best press conference since he became PM.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• It was Johnson's best press conference since he became PM.

He remembered the last one, someone said something about "you do not have to say anything".
  • EEufN8VWkAAlK4A?format=png&name=900x900

If to be true that is frightening.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

No, nor have I said that. As per what I said before, what's of note is that Lux even thought about doing it, with the UK. That respect the UK had clearly isn't quite there atm.

There are plenty of international relations which are frosty and do not contain much respect, and yet do not involve childish antics with visitors. If this didn't fall as part of the Remain/Leave debate, the view of the incident would not be so divided.
    BJ left himself wide open by agreeing to meet Barnier over lunch first place. Don't have a meeting room anywhere?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149

It was Johnson's best press conference since he became PM.
    But definitely not Bettel's.

His award is in the post.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't care who the protesters were. Bettel should have showed the sort of common courtesy that should be extended to any visiting PM/head of state instead of pulling that stunt.

Luxembourg were demonstrating the country version of the Napoleon complex.

It has backfired on them and clearly been shown up for what it was!

It also highlights the faults of the EU regarding the minor nations.

It's also rather apt that you are responding to BikeRadar's own example of the napoleon complex
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't care who the protesters were. Bettel should have showed the sort of common courtesy that should be extended to any visiting PM/head of state instead of pulling that stunt.

It's also rather apt that you are responding to BikeRadar's own example of the napoleon complex

Everyday-Fruit-Cake.jpg?w=900&ssl=1
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

and this demonstrates the weakness of AI. You plug in a new term and the bot over uses it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mate, he can't understand words properly, give up.

I think you're right. And I will mute him as feeding the troll doesn't seem to work. Weird. Who knew ?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yes, it was bad form. No, it didn't help anything. But a carefully planned ambush? All he had to do to escape it was do the press conference. Either way, his team need to sharpen up as what with this, the Doncaster walkabout, and the visit to Whippy Cross he's starting to make Gordon Brown look like a smooth media operator.

Not to be outdone, Jeremy has decided that actually on reflection he prefers the fence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Bold, bold ,lying there with BoJo, being filmed by the press, saying "there are no press here" to an angry dad in hopsital.

Enjoyed the clicking of all the press photos as he's saying that.

Honourable mention to Kunsberg who picked the angry dad out on twitter because he's a labour supporter so we could all publicly rake over a guy who's baby daughter is sick in hospital.
  • Bold, bold ,lying there with BoJo, being filmed by the press, saying "there are no press here".

It's a weird one that. Can't get any handle on what he meant.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    i think it's indicative of his mental capability

he's spent years reusing his old speeches and canned phrases, and if fed lines can recite them, but when he's got nothing prepared the internal jibber-jabber is exposed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Bold, bold ,lying there with BoJo, being filmed by the press, saying "there are no press here".

It's a weird one that. Can't get any handle on what he meant.

If "caught in the act", start lying, it's his default setting...
  • rick_chasey
    Have some sympathy for the guy.

When I was in hospital with my baby daughter I was stressed out enough that I would have kicked off at a bloody traffic light, let alone BoJo coming in with a f*ck load of press.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    I think BJ is the only one catching flak. On here anyway....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

On Twitter, every thread about Boris lying again has someone replying with a link to the Guido Fawkes article about him being a Labour activist. I can't imagine in what worldview you think that a) it is surprising that someone who is angry about the state of the NHS is a Labour activist and also b) that it changes the weird sh!t Boris said.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

On Twitter, every thread about Boris lying again has someone replying with a link to the Guido Fawkes article about him being a Labour activist. I can't imagine in what worldview you think that a) it is surprising that someone who is angry about the state of the NHS is a Labour activist and also b) that it changes the weird sh!t Boris said.

Another Dom-Cum cock-up of poor event management.
    Every time they let him out of the house he does something stupid, no wonder they kept him on such a short leash during the party leadership contest.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

Every time they let him out of the house he does something stupid, no wonder they kept him on such a short leash during the party leadership contest.

well known fact that the more you see of Boris the less you like him
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Time perhaps to put Luxembourg into perspective with another re-post of my handy graphic of the EU.

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Luxembourg is the small dot just to the right of Germany and above Italy in case anyone is having problems seeing it. I also recall reading somewhere that the UK economy is larger than the smallest 18 EU members combined if that helps as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • doffs cap
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    PBlakeney wrote:

well known fact that the more you see of Boris the less you like him
    WE. The less WE like him. That's the whole point - part of the strategy of reclaiming the core gammon vote from the BP is to win kudos by being seen to successfully wind up the enemy.
    Although I do think there's also something more atavistic there: they might not consciously recognise it, still less acknowledge it, but they know that they are in fact angrier and less rational than remainers. So they like nothing more than to try and drag them down to their level.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Luxembourg is the small dot just to the right of Germany and above Italy in case anyone is having problems seeing it. I also recall reading somewhere that the UK economy is larger than the smallest 18 EU members combined if that helps as well.

Quite the self own there Steve
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What does that mean?
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Time perhaps to put Luxembourg into perspective with another re-post of my handy graphic of the EU.

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Let's put that Luxembourg 'Napoleon' dot into perspective. The UK economy, ignoring rounding, is adding the size of Luxembourg economy every year. There whole Luxembourg economy is only equivalent to 365 days growth in the UK economy :lol:

I see the Luxembourg PM is in serious backpeddling mode in an interview with BBC news this evening
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What does that mean?

It means that when you're posting about how small and insignificant Luxembourg is compared to the UK, all you are doing is highlighting just how far the UK's standing in the world has fallen that they are getting humiliated by countries as small and insignificant as Luxembourg
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited September 2019
    PBlakeney wrote:

Good to see the Labour activist being called out for what he is. Remember he is indoctrinated that all Tories are evil so his viewpoint is hardly impartial.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

CvokEP7WIAAltLE.jpg

Rather goes to show the success of the EU then, doesn't it? You know, combining together as a large trading bloc, and sharing the benefits... it's almost as if working together for the common good is better than continually fighting each other.