Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• I find CT ones work well and are the cheapest when on a deal. I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.

Yes, me too.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Oh, stop! :lol:

1930s-50s things; cheap worn silver plate but nice! And semi functional when you don't keep having to straighten them but there you go! It makes me feel deeply and justly superior to the non-tie wearers.

Speaking of monocles (in another thread) - apparently they are in now. Latest hipster thing. That intrigues me. Hope not Mogg inspired.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

1930s-50s things; cheap worn silver plate but nice! And semi functional when you don't keep having to straighten them but there you go! It makes me feel deeply and justly superior to the non-tie wearers.

Speaking of monocles (in another thread) - apparently they are in now. Latest hipster thing. That intrigues me. Hope not Mogg inspired.

Have you considered a pipe? Not for smoking,but perfect for gesticulating.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

From my experience architect office wear falls into two camps either bright cords or chinos with a clashing shirt or the eccentric bow tie or cravat wearer (usually the more old school, conceptual architect that does all their drawings by hand still) :wink:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    It makes me feel deeply and justly superior to the non-tie wearers.

Good for you. I'll happily bask in my inferiority. Getting out of having to wear ties on a daily basis was one of the happiest points of my working life.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I wear a tie when my non-iron shirt is particularly creased as it takes some of the attention away.

My non-iron shorts area mix of M&S and TM Lewin. Yeah, a few of the creases drop out after a bit of wear, but they are no where as neat as a properly ironed shirt.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I would say that teachers will probably be the last ones left wearing ties to work on a daily basis - after all, we make the kids wear them.

I wear a tie unless the weather's really warm (about 3 days a year round here), I quite like it really - for me it's part of the old chestnut about dressing for the part: outside work I'm a really committed scruff, ideal for me is old shorts, tatty t-shirt and bare feet.
    Tie goes with the tweed jackets (seriously expensive proper Harris ones, I would point out*) - I've realised over the years that the goal, although subconscious, is definitely "genial 30s Oxbridge Professor Tolkien" look.

Not that that would mean anything to the teenage scrotes, of course.

*bought for <£20 in charity shops
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Son's a teacher. No ties for him cos he teaches DT. Ties and bandsaws / pillar drills not a good combo. Personalised polo shirts for the entire department.
  • bompington
    I believe lathes are what you really have to watch out for...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Tie clips?

Are you in fancy dress as a "business man"?
  • rolf_f
    Tie clips?

Never had a pinstripe suit.... (hate the things - look terrible on anyone!).

Tie clips are just a thing that jazzes a tie up a little and has functional value (stops the tie blowing round and trying to garrotte me when I pop out to the meadow at lunchtime on a windy day looking for butterflies!). Of course, I also have shirts with French cuffs and shoes made in Northampton (bet Coopsters are made in China, the little patriot).....

Ties will be back, mark my words. The hipsters will demand it.

Glad at least Bomp gets it......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Tie clips?

Tie clips are just a thing that jazzes a tie up a little and has functional value (stops the tie blowing round and trying to garrotte me when I pop out to the meadow at lunchtime on a windy day looking for butterflies!). Of course, I also have shirts with French cuffs and shoes made in Northampton (bet Coopsters are made in China, the little patriot).....

do you have one of those pens that allows you to select the colour of the ink
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've never done Fashion and never intend to do Fashion - any resemblance in my appearance to any fashion trend past, present or future is pure accident.
  • bompington
    JRRTolkienPhoto_02.jpg
    Next - the baggy trousers. I kind of lack the "fondness for onramental waistcoats" though.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Tie clips?

do you have one of those pens that allows you to select the colour of the ink

No, but I remember them (actually, there may be one in the loft somewhere). Just so we are clear on this, my car was built in 1985, my watches (I have watches) made any time between 1967 and 1990. My living room furniture is 60s, my portable lighting anywhen from the 1930s to the 1960s, my dining chairs are 200 years old, my cd player and TV about 18 years old and my computer about 10 years old (though all of the components have been replaced at various times!). I have a 1960s kettle but the oven is new though not actually plugged in yet. Clock radio is fairly new but bought from Comet so not that new. I do have modern cameras but not much else. My house was built in the late 30s. I have a work supplied iPhone7 or 8, can't remember or care which, and it is lousy. I have a landline but there are no Bakelite phones connected to it though I'd quite like it if they were. My breadmaker is not much more than 6 months old.

I regard anything I buy that lasts less than a decade as cheap junk and a mistake not to be repeated.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    I regard anything I buy that lasts less than a decade as cheap junk and a mistake not to be repeated.
    My bedside clock is about 30 years old now ... yes, it's digital.
    No, it doesn't play music, CDs or anything else - it's just a clock (with alarm) - and I have to change the time twice a year.
  • rick_chasey
    gone for the presidential white block pocket square too then? To complete the fancy dress look?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

From my experience architect office wear falls into two camps either bright cords or chinos with a clashing shirt or the eccentric bow tie or cravat wearer (usually the more old school, conceptual architect that does all their drawings by hand still) :wink:

Black turtle neck at all times, surely. And statement glasses.

In reality I'm on site pretty often so jeans and shirt does for most eventualities. A tie with jeans is a bit odd.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Have you considered a pipe? Not for smoking,but perfect for gesticulating.

Pipes are great for that.

At school DT was ties off or tucked into the shirt, sleeves up and girls hair tied back, band saw, pillar drills, lathes, sanders and welding gear so makes sense.
    Same with Science fire, explosives etc not what you want near a cheap Nylon tie.
  • rolf_f
    gone for the presidential white block pocket square too then? To complete the fancy dress look?

Surely you don't think that a tie with an unobtrusive clip constitutes fancy dress? I hope you don't go to fancy dress parties - the disdain would be traumatising!

I'm not exactly naturally dapper or anything. I just like to try a little to react against endemic workplace slovenliness!! It's needed......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Rolf F wrote:
    Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?
    Oh hai! :D

Ties are a PITA and don't affect how well you do the job, so why bother.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Tie clips?

a proper tie (non of this nylon/polyester rubbish poor people wear), a well cut suit, decent shoes and shirt - yeah its actually quite nice sometimes.

our formal kit is Wful to wear but looks good but you notice the difference between it and a nice suit immediately.

the one thing i really don't like is the shirt/blazer/jeans/loafer look. the clarkson. awful.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Just wear a normal coloured suit and shirt that fits and a tie that's not novelty. Avoid socks the same colour as your shoes (so they don't look like boots), and I err against the novelty bright socks but if you're essex or poshboy inclined, go nuts.

Cuffs are up to you. Round here if you're a brit you wear double cuffs, as much as a pain as they are, though I actually don't mind single on others, if they're nice shirts.

If you start deviating away from formal suit colours, all the rulez are out the window and what you wear is a fashion statement. Whole different ballgame at that point.

Beyond that, you want your suit to give off the impression of *you* being super smart, but the suit should never be never memorable.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Speak for yourself.

If I turned up to a pitch without a tie they'd wonder what I was smoking and why I was being so presumptuous.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Speak for yourself.

If I turned up to a pitch without a tie they'd wonder what I was smoking and why I was being so presumptuous.
    I am.

The City is more 'corporate' obviously. And you have clients so you have to go along with their norms, rather than going with your own. I'll wear one for the odd board presentation because I choose to, but my tie collection has lasted long enough to keep Rolf happy from sheer lack of use.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    You're not in a BD role though. You're mainly internally facing, and the external folks you meet are pitching to you.
  • Just wear a normal coloured suit and shirt that fits and a tie that's not novelty. Avoid socks the same colour as your shoes (so they don't look like boots), and I err against the novelty bright socks but if you're essex or poshboy inclined, go nuts.

Cuffs are up to you. Round here if you're a brit you wear double cuffs, as much as a pain as they are, though I actually don't mind single on others, if they're nice shirts.

If you start deviating away from formal suit colours, all the rulez are out the window and what you wear is a fashion statement. Whole different ballgame at that point.

Beyond that, you want your suit to give off the impression of *you* being super smart, but the suit should never be never memorable.

Pretty much this. I wear single cuffs as I can't be bothered with cufflinks any more except for special occasions.

Socks should be the colour of your suit (if plain).

I don't get monogrammed cuffs though. Two people at work have them and I think they look try-hard.

Although now in a BD role I rarely wear a suit. I mainly get told off for overdressing, but I am 'regional' now.
  • Stevo_666
    You're not in a BD role though. You're mainly internally facing, and the external folks you meet are pitching to you.
    We are not disagreeing here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rjsterry wrote:
    A tie with jeans is a bit odd.

I disagree.

It's a lot odd.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Just wear a normal coloured suit and shirt that fits and a tie that's not novelty. Avoid socks the same colour as your shoes (so they don't look like boots), and I err against the novelty bright socks but if you're essex or poshboy inclined, go nuts.

Pretty much this. I wear single cuffs as I can't be bothered with cufflinks any more except for special occasions.

Socks should be the colour of your suit (if plain).

I don't get monogrammed cuffs though. Two people at work have them and I think they look try-hard.

Although now in a BD role I rarely wear a suit. I mainly get told off for overdressing, but I am 'regional' now.

I've switched to single cuffs to but, much to other's disgust above, I have gone bit Clarkson these days. I always wore suits (and ties) but now, as client rather than adviser, don't have to any more except for the odd more formal meeting.

Oh and my socks always match my shoes. I hate contrasting socks.