Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not as annoying as being spammed by lastminute.com who took £1200 then failed to provide the flights we thought we'd booked. OK, the refund was promptly issued, but now I have to find out how to unsubscribe to emails I don't remember agreeing to receive. GRRR!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS
    Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol::wink:

Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!

Well played ... ;)

On a similar theme - why do accounts for business systems need your DoB? Just confirming details for a BT business account - ok, using my (works) email address, but they want my DoB - not relevant and not needed - so you're not getting it. But you have to put something in .... better say Happy Birthday to me on the 1st Jan then ...

because they do a credit check to see you are who you say you are and your DoB ties you in to that identity and so you dont have any outstanding issues paying off debts which might make giving you a brand new account till the next bill slightly troublesome if you rack up stupid amounts of charges and dont intend to pay for them...trust me it happens
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    keef66 wrote:
    Not as annoying as being spammed by lastminute.com who took £1200 then failed to provide the flights we thought we'd booked. OK, the refund was promptly issued, but now I have to find out how to unsubscribe to emails I don't remember agreeing to receive. GRRR!

its weirder when you receive a text message from a company you dont remember ever giving your mobile phone number to and only had an email contact with
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

I want to withdraw some cash. I am given the following options:
    1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

If I select Cash only, I do not to be later asked whether I want a balance or a receipt. I just want cash and have already stated that!

And what the hell is an 'advice slip'?

"You should spend this on new wheels"

Me too -- was going to put this gripe in but beaten to it.
  • cowsham
    HaydenM wrote:
    ATMs that wont accept your card until they have finished sincerely thanking the previous user of the machine for a solid 2 minutes after they've left.

When I read this I could only visualize a little Chinese man politely thanking the machine back each time it thanked him.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Cowsham wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

If I select Cash only, I do not to be later asked whether I want a balance or a receipt. I just want cash and have already stated that!

Me too -- was going to put this gripe in but beaten to it.

It had already been done but yes, it's still as annoying as ever. At least the ATM by my house no longer gives an advice slip whether you want one or not so there's less of a litter problem now.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    elbowloh wrote:
    On a similar note, when you're in a shop and they ask if you want them to email you the receipt or in other words, give us your email address so we can bombard you with ads or sell your details on to someone else.
    And then they print you a receipt anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Advice slip at 3am tells you to go home.
  • Pross
    The wireless keyboard in my office. It misses letters from virtually every word I type and not even the same letters. When I look up from the keyboard to the screen it's just a random string of letters underlined in red that have to be re-typed. Oddly, it seems to get better later in the day which is probably one for the intriguing thread.
  • Pross wrote:
    The wireless keyboard in my office. It misses letters from virtually every word I type and not even the same letters. When I look up from the keyboard to the screen it's just a random string of letters underlined in red that have to be re-typed. Oddly, it seems to get better later in the day which is probably one for the intriguing thread.
    You've sobered up by then.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Nah, I only drink on work time.
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Nah, I only drink on work time.
    shakes have stopped then, or you can no longer see the red sqwiggly lines.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    awavey wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS
    Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol::wink:

Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!

Well played ... ;)

On a similar theme - why do accounts for business systems need your DoB? Just confirming details for a BT business account - ok, using my (works) email address, but they want my DoB - not relevant and not needed - so you're not getting it. But you have to put something in .... better say Happy Birthday to me on the 1st Jan then ...

because they do a credit check to see you are who you say you are and your DoB ties you in to that identity and so you dont have any outstanding issues paying off debts which might make giving you a brand new account till the next bill slightly troublesome if you rack up stupid amounts of charges and dont intend to pay for them...trust me it happens

A) it's not my business - I'm just an employee
    B) it's a limited company - credit check that ...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:

What imbecile decided to inflict a wireless keyboard on you in the office? There's no point. It's like those sideways sliding indicators on Audis - it's a way of making a function less effective whilst at the same time making you pay more for it with the only benefit being able to say to people "look at my cool sideways sliding taillights" or "look, I can pick up my keyboard and walk somewhere else with it without having to unplug it".
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    Pross wrote:

New batteries. Probably improve as they get warmer during the day. And if that doesn't fix it, replace the thing. It must be costing them more in your lost time than a new keyboard would cost...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

What imbecile decided to inflict a wireless keyboard on you in the office? There's no point. It's like those sideways sliding indicators on Audis - it's a way of making a function less effective whilst at the same time making you pay more for it with the only benefit being able to say to people "look at my cool sideways sliding taillights" or "look, I can pick up my keyboard and walk somewhere else with it without having to unplug it".

For some - who aren't always working on their computer - it can be a benefit, as you can just pop the keyboard out of the way and have your desk clear ... but for most (including me), nope - a wired one is just fine thank you....
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

"Stop spending so much money you idiot"

"You'd best not be taking this cash to the pub"
  • Pross
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Agreed, I use a wired keyboard and mouse when I work from home and have no issues. It surprises me how quickly the batteries run out and there's never any spares in the office when they run out so I end up switching them with someone who isn't in! My keyboard at home works fine and is nearly 20 years old (it pre-dates USB keyboards and has one of those funny keyboard specific connectors).
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Agreed, I use a wired keyboard and mouse when I work from home and have no issues. It surprises me how quickly the batteries run out and there's never any spares in the office when they run out so I end up switching them with someone who isn't in! My keyboard at home works fine and is nearly 20 years old (it pre-dates USB keyboards and has one of those funny keyboard specific connectors).

My work wireless keyboard mouse are USB chargeable... Best of both worlds really as you can just leave them plugged in if you want, or just plug the mouse in when I leave. To be honest they don't need charging all that much.

I quite like it as it makes for a tidier desk, and I take my laptop out quite a lot.
  • keef66
    Batteries in the wireless Lenovo stuff on my desk seem to last about a year. The MS mouse in my laptop bag lasts indefinitely if I remember to switch it off when I'm not using it
  • Bike shop websites that are completely unusable to find anything.
    https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/

Seriously, it's not just me that can't get on with this site I hope.

On the phone it doesn't work. I've got a decent phone on 4g with a good signal but it's too slow.

On the work laptop it's freezing up or too slow to show any sign it's downloading. Unusable.

It's for one of my local shops, but I prefer to know if they have what I'm looking for before visiting the shop. I guess I'll need to visit it in person. Or probably not at all. If you're not making it easy for me by having such an unbelievably bad website then I think you'll not get my custom. Wheelbase, Staveley is beckoning! :D

On the phone it doesn't work. I've got a decent phone on 4g with a good signal but it's too slow.

On the work laptop it's freezing up or too slow to show any sign it's downloading. Unusable.

It's for one of my local shops, but I prefer to know if they have what I'm looking for before visiting the shop. I guess I'll need to visit it in person. Or probably not at all. If you're not making it easy for me by having such an unbelievably bad website then I think you'll not get my custom. Wheelbase, Staveley is beckoning! :D
    moaning about about websites when you have a telephone, phone them up, ask if they have it and how much it costs. Let them do the leg-work.
  • elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

I had always assumed that there must be some sort of financial incentive for machines to do this - does the machine owner get a payment from the card-issuer for a balance check?

moaning about about websites when you have a telephone, phone them up, ask if they have it and how much it costs. Let them do the leg-work.
    I'm browsing. No point going to a shop if it doesn't stock the kind if things you're interested in. And you can't call when you're really don't know what you're looking for.

To clarify, I was browsing for present ideas. In clear idea of what to get just a budget and idea there will be bike kit at that price. Calling isn't really helpful in that. However what's the point of an unusable website? In this modern world websites are company's shop windows. This site is like having curtains in shop window. They only open very slowly and not the window you want to look in. But your can only know that once the curtain has opened.
  • cowsham
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

" Look out behind you ! "
  • cowsham
    Cowsham wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

" Look out behind you ! "

" Duck ! "
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

Not having the slighest clue which local bike shop is any good.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Discovering my bottom bracket threads need chasing or tapping or something beyond my skill set.

Not having the slighest clue which local bike shop is any good.
    That's why they invented araldite
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Pro cyclists saying "full gas"
  • keef66
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pro cyclists saying "full gas"

Annoys me too, but I get the feeling we're stuck with it because the Euro riders think it's an English term