Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Chris Bass wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

It's famous for not working. Just a pretty objet to have on your worktop.

That's exactly how i'll pitch my Toaster to the Dragons
    Well dragons are one way to toast your bread but I'd rather not have one just for toast. The Welsh can keep them as far as I'm concerned.

We (the Welsh) do love a bit of cheese on toast so you may be onto something
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So how do you stick the cheese on the toast to stop it falling off and fouling your pendulum toaster? Or is that what you'd use the dragon for?
  • Nah, paul hogan had it right:

maxresdefault.jpg
  • chris_bass
    you raise a valid point, I have now decided the pendulum idea was clearly a stupid one.

so instead I am moving to the obvious solution a horizontal wheel based toaster. There would be a sector* cut out so as it rotates you can check the brownness - once this is to the desired level you remove the bread. you can then apply cheese and hit the cheese choosing toggle which lowers the bottom heating element so it doesn't further brown the toast but maintains optimum temperature and the top element remains on to melt/brown the cheese.

Why didn't i think of this first - what a fool I am!

*back to the main point of the thread I knew this but may help other to learn something new:

c35a90e3f084d9531156d2c292015b24.jpg
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    you raise a valid point, I have now decided the pendulum idea was clearly a stupid one.

so instead I am moving to the obvious solution a horizontal wheel based toaster. There would be a sector* cut out so as it rotates you can check the brownness - once this is to the desired level you remove the bread. you can then apply cheese and hit the cheese choosing toggle which lowers the bottom heating element so it doesn't further brown the toast but maintains optimum temperature and the top element remains on to melt/brown the cheese.

*back to the main point of the thread I knew this but may help other to learn something new:

c35a90e3f084d9531156d2c292015b24.jpg
    If you have a slab of butter on an arm (the casing could be like a lip-stick) it can run across the face of the toast as it finishes off. A bit like a cutting tool on a lathe..
    A second applicator could squeeze jam or marmite on top.
  • Chris Bass wrote:

If you have a slab of butter on an arm (the casing could be like a lip-stick) it can run across the face of the toast as it finishes off. A bit like a cutting tool on a lathe..
    A second applicator could squeeze jam or marmite on top.

If you wish to incorporate a spectrophotometer to automatically arrest the toasting at the correct brownness, this study may assist:

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/E ... ef3552f338
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Chris Bass wrote:
    We (the Welsh) do love a bit of cheese on toast so you may be onto something
    And call it Welsh rabbit, I know it’s rarebit but that was a revelation at some point in my childhood.
  • chris_bass
    The butter could be like a lint roller (except adding stuff not removing it!)

other toppings applied by a bread shaped stamp.

I fear we are just inventing factory made pizzas now

If you wish to incorporate a spectrophotometer to automatically arrest the toasting at the correct brownness, this study may assist:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Effect-of-toasting-time-on-the-browning-of-sliced-Ramı́rez-Jiménez-García-Villanova/6e7bb8817ca4a4e359be62418f3c7aef3552f338&lt;/span&gt;

you may have earned yourself the role of chief research officer at incBreadable Plc
  • Chess Grandmasters burn around 6000 calories a day when in tournaments, and on average, lose around half a kilo per day in weight as a result.

Are they riding their bikes at the same time!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    bonk king wrote:
    Chess Grandmasters burn around 6000 calories a day when in tournaments, and on average, lose around half a kilo per day in weight as a result.

Are they riding their bikes at the same time!

It’s a serious issue in chess circles.

They’re all doing different diets, doing specific exercises to be sharp in the 5th hour etc

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27 ... ying-chess
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Likelihood of paying for Ryanair Priority Boarding = 1 / Intelligence Quotient

OR

LiP=1/IQ

I learnt that on Sunday. In Girona airport. From where I had to share a flight with people who'd been in Brexit De Mar for a fortnight.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Chris Bass wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

This handy calculator won't tell you where you can pitch a toaster to, but it works for other kitchen implements among other things
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    bompington wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

This handy calculator won't tell you where you can pitch a toaster to, but it works for other kitchen implements among other things
    That is bloody brilliant.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Would your cheese on toast maker account for the exposed part of the toast. You toast the bread then melt cheese on it. If you're not careful the exposed toast burns or you have to under toast the upper side first before finishing the toasting with the cheese on top.

It's very critical you watch that or account for it in the control mechanism in your toaster/ rarebit maker.
  • Would your cheese on toast maker account for the exposed part of the toast. You toast the bread then melt cheese on it. If you're not careful the exposed toast burns or you have to under toast the upper side first before finishing the toasting with the cheese on top.

It's very critical you watch that or account for it in the control mechanism in your toaster/ rarebit maker.
    You could use a 3D printer fed with cheese string; that would let you have your own face in cheese on your toast.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I could make it into some sort of design master piece and charge a fortune for it like that expensive lemon juicer thing that looks like a space ship
    I love my Juicy Salif. Just 1 part of our Alessi collection at home. No idea what's so pleaseing about them but we like them :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Ben6899 wrote:

OR

LiP=1/IQ

I learnt that on Sunday. In Girona airport. From where I had to share a flight with people who'd been in Brexit De Mar for a fortnight.

An ex-colleague of mine paid once for priority boarding and then used to edit the paperwork on every trip. His wife was worried they'd get caught and didn't want to do it so he just did his own and left her to fend for herself!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

OR

LiP=1/IQ

An ex-colleague of mine paid once for priority boarding and then used to edit the paperwork on every trip. His wife was worried they'd get caught and didn't want to do it so he just did his own and left her to fend for herself!

1. Ha, that is brilliant!

2. Also pointless. After "boarding" you're either queued on the tarmac at the front or rear or put on a bus (in both cases any priority is lost). In the rare case of a skywalk being available to Ryanair, then all that happens is those who paid to board first simply end up being asked to stand up as the latecomers take their seats.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Tashman wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I could make it into some sort of design master piece and charge a fortune for it like that expensive lemon juicer thing that looks like a space ship
    I love my Juicy Salif. Just 1 part of our Alessi collection at home. No idea what's so pleaseing about them but we like them :)
    It's pretty. No doubt about that; just not a great juicer.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

OR

LiP=1/IQ

2. Also pointless. After "boarding" you're either queued on the tarmac at the front or rear or put on a bus (in both cases any priority is lost). In the rare case of a skywalk being available to Ryanair, then all that happens is those who paid to board first simply end up being asked to stand up as the latecomers take their seats.

Brexiteers probably think they get to their destination sooner with priority boarding.

Of course, if you are on a flight where there is restricted over-head luggage storage there can be some benefit but I tend to take the reverse approach to priority boarding - ie go through to the gate at the last minute and ideally join the queue to board when the plane is already boarding and the last few people are going through. Might as well spend as much time hanging round the main shopping area as possible than in a dreary departure gate; the second kind of hell is a fair bit worse than the first.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

OR

LiP=1/IQ

I always enjoy it when the priority boarders get on the bus and take the seats, all the others get on and have to stand meaning they are first off the bus and onto the plane.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In my world the priority boarders all have carry-on bags the size of a small fridge so by the time I get on the overhead lockers are all stuffed to capacity.

However, no more business flights for me now. I'm off! Hurrah!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We had next priority boarding when flying with baby/toddler - you needed the time to get squirt onboard and everything squared away - with bags reasonably close ...
    Won't get that now ... don't really need it - only thing we "need" is for at least 2 seats together cos he can't sit by himself...
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

OR

LiP=1/IQ

Brexiteers probably think they get to their destination sooner with priority boarding.

Of course, if you are on a flight where there is restricted over-head luggage storage there can be some benefit but I tend to take the reverse approach to priority boarding - ie go through to the gate at the last minute and ideally join the queue to board when the plane is already boarding and the last few people are going through. Might as well spend as much time hanging round the main shopping area as possible than in a dreary departure gate; the second kind of hell is a fair bit worse than the first.

My Ryanair flight was pushed for time so because we had young kids they offered us priority boarding to help speed things up. I politely declined, explaining the less time I spent on a plane with a 2 and six year old the better. They then virtually forced me to join the priority queue where I got tutted at by the weirdos thronging the gate.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    It's pretty. No doubt about that; just not a great juicer.
    Oh, it's hopeless for that :lol: but it is nice n shiny
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Rolf F wrote:

I've recently learnt that whatever the thread topic, if it's in Cake Stop then someone will mention Brexit on the thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • On a car fuel gauge there is an arrow that indicates which side the filler cap is on
  • On a car fuel gauge there is an arrow that indicates which side the filler cap is on

Get out of here. I even forget on my own car. This is the most useful thread on here.

Get out of here. I even forget on my own car. This is the most useful thread on here.
    you fill the car yourself?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    On a car fuel gauge there is an arrow that indicates which side the filler cap is on
    I thought that was common knowledge.

Like the tabs on the end of a box of clingfilm or tin foil, that push inwards to hold the tube in place.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk