World Champs build up

Comments

• RichN95 wrote:
    Another question for locals. Due to making an error in my hotel booking I'm going to be in Yorkshire a day longer than planned. I'll be in Leeds - any recommendations on things to do? Don't say get on a train to York - I'm doing that anyway.

You could drop into the Peak District and ride your bike there and then spend an evening on the lash and eating curry.

BTW ill sign your worlds Jersey for you if you ask nicely.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    RichN95 wrote:
    Another question for locals. Due to making an error in my hotel booking I'm going to be in Yorkshire a day longer than planned. I'll be in Leeds - any recommendations on things to do? Don't say get on a train to York - I'm doing that anyway.

You could drop into the Peak District and ride your bike there and then spend an evening on the lash and eating curry.

It's quite a trek to the Peaks when you've got the Dales much closer, IMO
  • inseine wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It's quite a trek to the Peaks when you've got the Dales much closer, IMO

Thats true, though if hes been there for a few days it adds a little something different.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    inseine wrote:
    In York you have to go to the railway museum

Jorvik :) assuming the 100 or so pubs in the city walls are of no interest & its the York beer festival this weekend :D
  • I was hoping it would be rainbow striped.
  • Maybe the winners get a rainbow stripped on the podium. A bit like the huge beret they get at San Sebastian.
  • very excited. Staying in Leeds and will be getting the train up to harrogate saturday and sunday. No family in tow so I intend to blag a good spot in the morning and not move until it's done. Bladder of steel
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    awavey wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    In York you have to go to the railway museum

Jorvik :) assuming the 100 or so pubs in the city walls are of no interest & its the York beer festival this weekend :D
    Jovik's top attraction: a genuine viking poo.
  • TheFog wrote:
    Does anyone have the link to the route through Harrogate? My brother in law's brother has a bar in town so I want to know the ease with which I can make a base there and head out to watch them come past each lap

Which bar?

It's called the Disappearing Chin on Beulah Street. I've found it's a short walk from there to the fan zone, so I will organise my day around there, and hopefully walk up on to the higher part of the course during the middle of the race

Great bar - been a few times since it opened recently. He won't be affected by any road closures, but the best way to get to the other parts of the circuit is by bike.

I live in Harrogate - 5 mins walk from the fan park and finish line - can't believe my luck! The fan park is looking amazing - absolutely huge. A much bigger operation than the Grand Depart in 2014.
  • I’ve only been to Harrogate once, seems nice but not a great of bars/ restaurants etc. Is it going to be absolutely rammed everywhere on the Sunday of the men’s race and therefore not actually much fun going? Just asking cos I’ll be taking the wife and a couple of her friends and they have no interest in cycling (but live vaguely close).

Alternative is that we see them another weekend and I go somewhere else on the route on my own?

There are loads of great bars and restaurants in Harrogate, but most aren't on the main 3 streets that tourists tend to hit.

Best pubs:
    Little Ale House
    Corner Haus (Belgian beer speciality)
    Disappearing Chin
    North Bar
    Major Tom's Social
    Old Bell Tavern

Restaurants - literally hundreds depending on what you want. Personally my favourites are Tah Chang (Thai), Sasso (Italian) and Three's a Crowd (high end gastro pub about 50 metres past the finishing line).
  • RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Geraint Thomas saying he may not contest the TT. Rohan Dennis yet to confirm too. Gamesmanship? Or up for grabs to an outside bet this year?
    Someone needs to explain to Thomas that unless GB get a rider in the top ten they will only have one TT slot at the Olympics. And, if fit, Froome will get it not him. So he needs to get a second slot.
    Thankfully, he is confirmed for the ITT. Am I right in thinking BC usually confirm the whole team earlier than they did this year?

The way they've announced (some of) the various squads on Twitter was pleasingly different from the norm.

Elite men
    Elite women
    U23 men
    Junior men
    Junior women
    Mixed relay
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Interested on getting the locals opinions here.

My plan had been to camp somewhere outside Harrogate (looked like there are plenty around), cycle to one of the early climbs then cycle into Harrogate to get a spot on the finishing circuit. Does that sound workable?

We're only in Manchester so we could just drive over for the day, but I had wanted to make more of a weekend of it.

Cheers :)

Update as booked a pitch near Summerbridge. Plan to just cycle into Harrogate the Saturday for the women's laps. Sunday possibly cycle out to Threshfield to see them come by around 10am then back to Harrogate to get a spot on the finishing circuit earlyish.

Not sure how @rsed I am about seeing them fly through Threshfield though, would prefer a climb but the main climbs on the men's starting loop are too far North for us to be able to cycle back to Harrogate from to see the finish (because it's basically out and back for them and we are obviously going to be much slower!). So thinking we might just bin off seeing them early, go and ride the Lofthouse climb from the womens race then we would get into Harrogate in good time for the mens race, which might be more fun.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Geraint Thomas saying he may not contest the TT. Rohan Dennis yet to confirm too. Gamesmanship? Or up for grabs to an outside bet this year?
    Someone needs to explain to Thomas that unless GB get a rider in the top ten they will only have one TT slot at the Olympics. And, if fit, Froome will get it not him. So he needs to get a second slot.
    Thankfully, he is confirmed for the ITT. Am I right in thinking BC usually confirm the whole team earlier than they did this year?
    Is he confirmed for the Road Race? It's an 8.40 start and Wales v Australia is on at 8.45
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yes, he's confirmed for the RR as well.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    TheFog wrote:
    Does anyone have the link to the route through Harrogate? My brother in law's brother has a bar in town so I want to know the ease with which I can make a base there and head out to watch them come past each lap

Which bar?

It's called the Disappearing Chin on Beulah Street. I've found it's a short walk from there to the fan zone, so I will organise my day around there, and hopefully walk up on to the higher part of the course during the middle of the race

Not a problem then. The only impact is that the deviation route for team cars is up Cheltenham Crescent/ Parade/ then station parade to the rear side of that pub and upto the team parking on Victoria Avenue, so a short term closure at end of each race. Wont affect you walking to race circuit.

Bit far to walk back and forth to the bar from circuit though, it'll be rammed on Parliament Street. Loads of decent viewing points on the circuit itself though.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    As some general guidance for anyone visiting, there's loads happening.

Rapha and Canyon are taking over Starling independent coffee house
    Katusha have a pop up store with events all week at Parliament Street in conjunction with Cyclist magazine
    Cadex/ Giant have a pop up store also on Parliament Street
    Prologue cycling are hosting SRAM and having ride outs both road and gravel/ signing events/ talks throughout the week
    Cornerhaus bar have linked up with Rouleur, Flanders tourism, GiRo cycles and Attaquer and offering events and led rides (including Johan Museeuw) plus special events on evenings.
    Specialized concept store on west park (just after finish line) are revamping the store. Not sure on details but think the brand is taking over the store for the week.
    Sigma Sports are taking over Cold Bath Brewing company and also hosting Zwift in the redeveloped unit next door. Led rides, GCN show, zwift events all week.
    British Cycling have taken over North Bar Harrogate.

The fan zone has bars, big screens, Santini/ uci retail area, a retail zone (Sigma Sports, Prologue/ Saddleback and more), Gigs by The Feeling and pidgeon detectives, food etc. Open every day 9 till late.

Despite a vocal minority whinging loudly about the impact the road closures will have, most businesses are embracing the event. Whilst cafes, bars and restaurants will do well (as will hotels) that will cater for the wealth of visitors, you'd hope those visitors also walk around the town as well visiting shops not associated with cycling in any way that may otherwise struggle.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I'm looking forward to it. I'm coming up alone, so have booked a place on a couple of Rapha rides just as a starting point and will preload the Sportive GPX file also.
    Will try and have a look at Jarvis Cockers DJ set and the Pigeon Detectives along the way too. The Yorkshire App seems pretty useful too.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    I got us a prime spot at my mate’s place in Skipton when I heard the WC RR route back whenever it was announced. I was so proud of myself. I was also proud when my wife announced she was up duff - but less proud when the due date for both were the same.
    Any chance this thread could be more about actual race chat rather than all the great places you’re thinking of eating and drinking in? Thanks.
  • ocdupalais
    I got us a prime spot at my mate’s place in Skipton when I heard the WC RR route back whenever it was announced. I was so proud of myself. I was also proud when my wife announced she was up duff - but less proud when the due date for both were the same.
    Any chance this thread could be more about actual race chat rather than all the great places you’re thinking of eating and drinking in? Thanks.
  • ocdupalais
    Delete
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    That's a shame, but I'm sure your wife could ask one of the nurses to Skype the birth for you.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Babby going to be named after the winner.

Gilbert would be a bit strange for a girl tho.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    OCDuPalais wrote:

The danger of Christmas frolics.

(Congrats btw. Your life will never be the same again...)
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Yes - once you've seen the world champs you will never forget it
  • ***** Benoit Cosnefroy
    *** Peter Sagan , Oliver naesen
    * Majka

* this is not a complete list
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Yes - once you've seen the world champs you will never forget it

:lol:
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Congrats OCDuPalais. I'm assuming baby naming will be rainbow stripes dependent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Babby going to be named after the winner.

Gilbert would be a bit strange for a girl tho.

Ah, but nicknamed Phil GIll, so works both ways.

Congrats to OcDuP - the good news is it isn't that long before they're old enough to come along and enjoy seeing cycling live - I've got a photo somewhere of my eldest on her balance bike as Hannah Barnes streaks past as a blur behind her.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Is he confirmed for the Road Race? It's an 8.40 start and Wales v Australia is on at 8.45

He'll have to abandon quicker than that French trackie did at London 2012!