Refugees Channel crossing

Comments

• bradsbeard wrote:
    Shouldn't asylum be claimed at the first EU country you encounter? If your that desperate to flee persecution then why do you want to come to the UK?

Economic migrants.

Sorry to be harsh but need to be returned back to France.

Without reading the whole thread I thought this exactly, these people aren't as stupid as they appear. They know they can fleece our pathetic benefits system as well as Chardonnay in her one bed council flat with twelve kids.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bradsbeard wrote:
    Shouldn't asylum be claimed at the first EU country you encounter? If your that desperate to flee persecution then why do you want to come to the UK?

Economic migrants.

Sorry to be harsh but need to be returned back to France.

Without reading the whole thread I thought this exactly, these people aren't as stupid as they appear. They know they can fleece our pathetic benefits system as well as Chardonnay in her one bed council flat with twelve kids.

Unlikely to be a one bedroom flat with 12 kids. more likely to be a nice house Inbetween the homes of people who pay for theirs. A spot of pepper potting to reduce inequality by driving down the neighbourhood to the lowest common denominator. Common being the correct description
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    1p per day each spent on refugees:
    https://blogs.redcross.org.uk/refugeess ... rue-costs/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Take a look at this:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/infograp ... ilter=2018

In 2018 the UK had 37,730 applications for assylum.

Germany had 184k
    France had 120K

Spain, Italy and Greece all had more applications than the UK.

They don't to the UK because they think they can fleece the system. They come here generally because they already have family members or friends here, or because they speak English.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    Take a look at this:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/infograp ... ilter=2018

In 2018 the UK had 37,730 applications for assylum.

Germany had 184k
    France had 120K

Spain, Italy and Greece all had more applications than the UK.

They don't to the UK because they think they can fleece the system. They come here generally because they already have family members or friends here, or because they speak English.

FAKE NEWS! The rest of Europe don't take any refugees, they just send them to us.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • elbowloh wrote:
    They don't to the UK because they think they can fleece the system.

On a more serious note, we reap what we sow.

If you're going to proclaim yourself as one of the leading free and prosperous democracies in the world, is it any wonder you get a lot of potential immigrants?

Just a thought.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • HaydenM wrote:

1 per person per day. that's 65million pence a day every day every week every month every year and rising. Not such a small amount now is it.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    HaydenM wrote:

1 per person per day. that's 65million pence a day every day every week every month every year and rising. Not such a small amount now is it.

So your amount doesn't rally with the total sum.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Jez mon wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

So your amount doesn't rally with the total sum.
    It's per taxpayer, not per person.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • HaydenM wrote:

In the Brexit thread you stated "I'm significantly above average intelligence and I know I Have a broader AND higher level of education than most" - and then I read your other comments and I just shake my head.
  • One more point, you do know that fighting for your families is literally what they'd have to do to survive in many cases. Is that o.k with you? Would you like to be in their situation?

It's perfectly ok with me. infact I strongly believe they should have the courage to look after and not abandon their families.

Would I like to be in their situation? No of course not but I know for a fact I wouldn't run away.

Quite why we want people here like that is beyond me.
    Brave man speaks. I don't believe you.
  • HaydenM wrote:

In the Brexit thread you stated "I'm significantly above average intelligence and I know I Have a broader AND higher level of education than most" - and then I read your other comments and I just shake my head.

Being thick must be painful but im sure you’re used to it
  • One more point, you do know that fighting for your families is literally what they'd have to do to survive in many cases. Is that o.k with you? Would you like to be in their situation?

It's perfectly ok with me. infact I strongly believe they should have the courage to look after and not abandon their families.

Would I like to be in their situation? No of course not but I know for a fact I wouldn't run away.

Well thats your prerogative wet boy

ADog is Donald Trump! Didn't know he rode a bike but there you go. So brave, the bravest, everyone says this, and intelligent, very stable, probably tall too. You are truely biggly impressive! Albeit in a ranting, self centred and totally lacking in substance sort of way.

ADog is Donald Trump! Didn't know he rode a bike but there you go. So brave, the bravest, everyone says this, and intelligent, very stable, probably tall too. You are truely biggly impressive! Albeit in a ranting, self centred and totally lacking in substance sort of way.

What is your post all about? trying to be clever? impressive? oh so special? I'm sure you're special too xx

What is your post all about? trying to be clever? impressive? oh so special? I'm sure you're special too xx
    You really don't run away do you? You really are as brave as you say. Although I noticed you still managed to run away from the questions in the Brexit thread though...
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    The dog when faced with a group of armed child soldiers and their illustrious leader entering the village and taking the women to be raped and the boys and men in a line to have their hands chopped off wouldn't run. He would meekly stand in line and accept his fate like a true warrior. All whilst claiming to be above average in intelligence.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    HaydenM wrote:

He's the forum troll and isn't even subtle about it. If everyone else on here had been condemning refugees he would have been posting strongly in favour. Just ignore is the best advice.
  • He has jumped the shark with his efforts last night though. Trying too hard.
  • john80 wrote:
    The dog when faced with a group of armed child soldiers and their illustrious leader entering the village and taking the women to be raped and the boys and men in a line to have their hands chopped off wouldn't run. He would meekly stand in line and accept his fate like a true warrior. All whilst claiming to be above average in intelligence.

I imagine a moron would do that, or a coward would run away. You seem settled to the preferred option of having your women raped.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    john80 wrote:

I imagine a moron would do that, or a coward would run away. You seem settled to the preferred option of having your women raped.

Much as I like the blustering of the internet hard man I think you might be the one meekly accepting his fate. I doubt very much you will be running at the AK47's with your kitchen knife like a true warrior. Deep down we all know how brave you are from your computer. You are probably not even hard enough to take on the local youths having a swally in the local park. Good luck troll man in your next awesome display of alpha manliness.
  • haydenm
    I'd probably flee with my wife and kids to try and keep them safe I'd imagine. While I'd probably have to contend with vindictive, little England racists at some point I think I know what I'd pick at the time.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

"These ‘costs’ are often mentioned in the same breath as immigration policy or net migration. This confuses the issue, as asylum seekers are here for different reasons.

Some papers do cite big, scary numbers about asylum support – but when you break down the figures, the amount actually becomes very small. A budget of £155 million is around £5 a year for each taxpayer.

That means a small amount of money – just over 1p a day – will help people who have fled traumatic and terrifying experiences, such as rape, torture and murder. It’s the sort of loose change that rattles at the bottom of your rucksack."

I'm not generally surprised by basic multiplication. I can also read.
  • HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

"These ‘costs’ are often mentioned in the same breath as immigration policy or net migration. This confuses the issue, as asylum seekers are here for different reasons.

Some papers do cite big, scary numbers about asylum support – but when you break down the figures, the amount actually becomes very small. A budget of £155 million is around £5 a year for each taxpayer.

That means a small amount of money – just over 1p a day – will help people who have fled traumatic and terrifying experiences, such as rape, torture and murder. It’s the sort of loose change that rattles at the bottom of your rucksack."

I'm not generally surprised by simple division but 500pence / 365 is more than 1pence usually
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I'm not generally surprised by simple division but 500pence / 365 is more than 1pence usually

Yes, it's just over 1p. What is your point?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Supporting refugees is a small price to pay for the good fortune of being born in a country with a modern economy, liberal values (for now) and decent healthcare. You, and I, got lucky...very lucky..nothing more. If they really upset you that much then maybe you need to ask yourself a few questions and read a little more.

That's sort of what I was trying to say - just in a less weird way!!

It's the other side of the coin from my slightly tongue in cheek comment about making Britain worse so they don't want to come here. There are very sensible discussions to be had about sharing refugees out among like minded countries they which they may have traveled through, and making their home countries less dreadful but letting desperate people die in the sea as a deterrent is unforgivable.

While the issues in their home countries persist I'd take the view that the sooner us or other countries can get them into a system and evaluate their asylum claims the fewer humanitarian issues there will be across Europe.

If you're taking a hard line on this I'd recommend taking another look at that drowned kid in the Med from a few years ago and reconsider these people's motivation.

As you bring up the image of that tragic child, perhaps all those that thought it a good idea that the collective navies of Europe transport all those rescued to Europe instead of returning them to whence they came reflect on their actions.
    They put out the message that all people had to do was put to sea to await rescue. People set out on boats, hardly worthy of the name, in the hope of being picked up. They thought that they didn't even need to have the capability to make the trip safely and that they would be rescued and carried on the rest of their journey. Traffickers made a fortune and people drowned.
    Tragic.
  • john80 wrote:
    john80 wrote:

Much as I like the blustering of the internet hard man I think you might be the one meekly accepting his fate. I doubt very much you will be running at the AK47's with your kitchen knife like a true warrior. Deep down we all know how brave you are from your computer. You are probably not even hard enough to take on the local youths having a swally in the local park. Good luck troll man in your next awesome display of alpha manliness.

You think what you like pussy boy
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Ballysmate wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Supporting refugees is a small price to pay for the good fortune of being born in a country with a modern economy, liberal values (for now) and decent healthcare. You, and I, got lucky...very lucky..nothing more. If they really upset you that much then maybe you need to ask yourself a few questions and read a little more.

It's the other side of the coin from my slightly tongue in cheek comment about making Britain worse so they don't want to come here. There are very sensible discussions to be had about sharing refugees out among like minded countries they which they may have traveled through, and making their home countries less dreadful but letting desperate people die in the sea as a deterrent is unforgivable.

While the issues in their home countries persist I'd take the view that the sooner us or other countries can get them into a system and evaluate their asylum claims the fewer humanitarian issues there will be across Europe.

If you're taking a hard line on this I'd recommend taking another look at that drowned kid in the Med from a few years ago and reconsider these people's motivation.

As you bring up the image of that tragic child, perhaps all those that thought it a good idea that the collective navies of Europe transport all those rescued to Europe instead of returning them to whence they came reflect on their actions.
    They put out the message that all people had to do was put to sea to await rescue. People set out on boats, hardly worthy of the name, in the hope of being picked up. They thought that they didn't even need to have the capability to make the trip safely and that they would be rescued and carried on the rest of their journey. Traffickers made a fortune and people drowned.
    Tragic.

Isn't it more that people are put on "boats" by people smugglers. A fair few still drown right.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Ballysmate wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Tragic.

Yes, it would have been far better to return them to where they came from. By then they may have come to their senses and realised the conditions they were prepared to risk their lives escaping from weren't so bad after all :roll:
  • haydenm
    I'm sure there are issues with sharing immigrants out around the EU but that's absolutely not a reason to take a hard line and let them drown. In fact, part of the reason they are being left to drown is that the countries who receive the most have stopped taking them because they feel that no one else is pulling their weight. We take next to bugg*r all in the grand scheme of things, a bit of compassion wouldn't hurt. That kid's family were intelligent, middle class people, they weren't economic migrants.