Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mate I don’t live in the smoke.

Don’t come on here judging people’s choices when you’re not aware of all the facts.

Nobody has judged anything - you have to ask yourself if you've got it right - and if the sacrifices you're making now are right for now and the future.
    You're certainly touchy about it - so I guess it's hurting you a lot right now - check with yourself that you're doing what is best for all of your family and not just what is expected of you.

As an off the cuff suggestion - which I have no idea if it's in any way feasible - can you flex your working pattern so you can be at home at one end of the day say, mid week? Don't answer - I don't need to know - and I know I don't have all the answers....
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm annoyed that i just can't seem to find a reliable provider of embalming compound powder.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    elbowloh wrote:
    I'm annoyed that i just can't seem to find a reliable provider of embalming compound powder.

That certainly falls into the trivial / intriguing. Who, apart from undertakers or necrophiliacs, would be interested? And why spam a cycling forum FFS?

If you wanted to trick a bunch of cyclists into clicking on a dodgy link, how about 10 inner tubes for a fiver?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    keef66 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

That certainly falls into the trivial / intriguing. Who, apart from undertakers or necrophiliacs, would be interested? And why spam a cycling forum FFS?

If you wanted to trick a bunch of cyclists into clicking on a dodgy link, how about 10 inner tubes for a fiver?

Hmmm, maybe they are onto something actually...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    HaydenM wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Well, at this moment in time 6 people have clicked onto it so it is off interest to some... :shock:
    Edit - 8 and rising. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Well, at this moment in time 6 people have clicked onto it so it is off interest to some... :shock:
    #

I didn't need to click, my current supplier is the only place that will deliver it in bulk.
  • I'm just wondering how big the embalming market is.

Is it a weird hobby that people do, much like taxidermy?
    Is there an embalming forum where people who are members of embalming clubs get mocked for not having any friends?
    Do people have to earn the right to wear the same clothes as their favourite embalmers?

The people need to know!!!!!!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I've just answered my own question. Well bugger me.

http://funerals.smfforfree2.com/
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I've just answered my own question. Well bugger me.

/

No thanks!!!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    I've just answered my own question. Well bugger me.

/

No thanks!!!!
    Quite - we wouldn't want to do Boris out of a job :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowbike
    Why people record their activities on 2 devices simultaneously and then proceed to upload both to Strava - and leave them there.

I get that some use a cycle computer AND their phone or smart watch - but it's a bit weird to see "Group Activity" appear in your Strava feed - for it to be the same person, same distance (give or take a decimal place) and then that they achieved their weekly goal or climbed the equivalent of Mt Everest ... when they didn't do any such thing ...

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Slowbike wrote:
    Why people record their activities on 2 devices simultaneously and then proceed to upload both to Strava - and leave them there.

I get that some use a cycle computer AND their phone or smart watch - but it's a bit weird to see "Group Activity" appear in your Strava feed - for it to be the same person, same distance (give or take a decimal place) and then that they achieved their weekly goal or climbed the equivalent of Mt Everest ... when they didn't do any such thing ...

But surely no-one would ever try to exaggerate their mileage by doing that, would they? :D:D
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Slowbike wrote:

both linked to Garmin connect - both sync automatically?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

both linked to Garmin connect - both sync automatically?

The activity that triggered the "intrigue" was a Garmin 705 .... there's nothing automatic about one of those! Even my son's 800 has to be connected to the computer to upload ... Perhaps the "athlete" is getting HR off one and Cadence off the other ... at least he's not joining the two rides together to make it up the Longest ride leader board! ;)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Milemuncher is Steven Abraham and I claim my fake £5.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Pinno wrote:
    Milemuncher is Steven Abraham and I claim my fake £5.
    Don't. You. Ever. Be taking the name of St SA in vain. Get thee to purgatory.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

I clicked on it so I could hit the report button. I suspect others did too.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Non-iron shirts.

Lets face it, they still need ironing, just not as much as a regular shirt, even when dried on a hanger.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    Non-iron shirts.

Lets face it, they still need ironing, just not as much as a regular shirt, even when dried on a hanger.

Mine don't. Maybe you're using the wrong ones?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    elbowloh wrote:
    Non-iron shirts.

They work for me, even if they look a little bit creased on the hanger, or out of the shirt bag, the creases fall out after 15 mins of wear. Though I am very careful to take out of the machine immediately they have finished and dry on a hanger.
  • Tumble dry often refreshes the non-iron.

Also put them on when you're still warm and a tiny bit damp from the shower.

I find CT ones work well and are the cheapest when on a deal. I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.
  • Pross
    hopkinb wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Non-iron shirts.

They work for me, even if they look a little bit creased on the hanger, or out of the shirt bag, the creases fall out after 15 mins of wear. Though I am very careful to take out of the machine immediately they have finished and dry on a hanger.

How do you maintain a neat crease on the sleeves though?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pross wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Non-iron shirts.

How do you maintain a neat crease on the sleeves though?

Dunno, but it stays there like it has been drawn on, and I'm wearing a shirt > 3 years old today - needs to be chucked out really. I don't think that the production method for these non-iron shirts is terribly environmentally friendly.
  • slowbike
    I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.
    Why people still wear ties ....
  • Pross
    Slowbike wrote:
    I buy them when they're £20 per shirt with a free tie or socks thrown in.
    Why people still wear ties ....

I like to wear one occasionally (weddings etc.) as they can allow you to add a bit of individuality when everyone is in either a grey or navy suit. Haven't worn one to work for probably 8 years or so though.
  • slowbike
    Pross wrote:
    . Haven't worn one to work for probably 8 years or so though.
    I started the trend of "no ties" at work - I said I wasn't going to wear one as when I'm leaning over an open PC there's a high probability of the tie falling into the CPU fan ... nobody wears a tie now ...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Slowbike - shame on you! You just keep being a bad influence on the world!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:
    I wear ties at work. I like them. Everything else I wear at work is fairly dull coloured. And I like tie clips. Don't know why boringness is such a good thing.

Suits without ties (I've said this before) should be illegal. Just don't. It looks dreadful. Do you want to emulate David Cameron?

Slowbike - shame on you! You just keep being a bad influence on the world!

I don't wear a suit! They're too thin, wear out too quickly and are, quite frankly, a complete waste .... and who needs the jacket?

and anyway - I don't emulate DC - I was doing the open neck, no tie thing way before you even knew who he was ... btw - he got it wrong - ditch the suit!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I always used to wear a tie to work, but they have fallen out of favour in the last few years. Even the Board members are now doing smart casual in the webcasts etc. I still occasionally wear one to keep people on their toes.

I miss them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Rolf F wrote:

Oh, stop! :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition